First Chain With The Rake

2 hours ago, kac said:

Looks like a device to torture people with

It might be useful for some zombies then🤣.

You never know what's your patience limit some days...

I'm forced to leave the beach in a couple hours from now otherwise question time session is guaranteed 💀

And I'm late this morning too🤐😭

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2020 at 10:43 PM, Compass said:

Thanks Joe, Fortunately, I'll be using the rakes in areas with very little competition. In fact, in one particular area I have not seen another detector (other than my "mum's the word" hunting buddies) in 20+ years. Even if there are other hunters there they are missing the coins, rings and pendants I am finding so they, no doubt, are missing the chains as well. Going to give it another try in a few days with the new rake I got yesterday plus add some weight for a deeper cut- stay tuned!

Hi Compass,

You will have zero competition considering no detector can pickup fine gold chains. I saw some Russian guys using them on Youtube, but casting the rake into the deeper water with a rope and pulling back to shore. I wonder if it would be possible to metal detect whilst dragging the 'rake of doom' behind you with a rope and waist harness 😆 Maximum productivity!

• Like 1

I would think you will need to move those tines closer or add more. Gives me an idea that if you combined the other one you have a basket on, replace the basket with tines that face toward the user and have that scoop front with the basket one so it can cut through the sand easier and sort of act like a shovel to push the sand over the tines it would do a better job.

• Like 1

Cooped up here because it is just too hot to dig so I whipped up this idea on a rake, might make a narrower version to replace my sand scoop and space the tines 1/4" apart instead of the 1/2" apart as shown on the full size one. Need to look up material weight and I can figure out what the unit will actually weigh. If I get the angle of the handle right then it should be fairly easy to drag. This is 2' wide with 48" handle. Just a rough idea so far.

Last bit, I have no idea what the material costs are for 304 atm and what this might be.

Sand rake side top.jpg

Sand rake.jpg

Sand rake side.jpg

That looks pretty awesome KAC! Depending on the the type of sand it is used in 1/4" may clog pretty quick with shells, rocks and/or debris. What I have found in the 2 times I have used mine in the lake is that even with my wide tine spacing, 1 or 2 shells or bottle caps can cause significant drag. 2 feet seems pretty wide to me but I hope it works out. Please keep us posted!

You got the drawing part down pat, that's for sure!  😁

Probably out of my league since I don't do beach, but from what I've seen, something needs to keep the device from digging too deeply into the sand -- for example, some kind of float or deflector on top which limits the depth.  Do you think yours will have that property?  (I guess that's what prototypes are for....)

I'm not sure if it will dig in too much. would have to make some sort of prototype and angle the handle and lead edge so you can control it. My thoughts was something that can snag the smaller stuff as well. My limited beach hunting right now I use a scoop, kind of thinking a hybrid scoop/rake that is half that width at least. Probably add some horizontal wires on lower portion to act a a scoop. 2 biggest factors for this is cost of material and weight.

Quick update on my quickie design, materials be just under $300 and weight around 133 oz. Too much $$ and weight so scratch that one.