Time To Clean Your Coins And Cash In!

If you take them to a machine, make sure to wash them before dumping. The first time I used a machine, the poor woman had to open it up 4 times to clean the inside because of all the dust. The next time around I washed the coins and didn't have any issues.

The Wells Fargo bank inside our grocery store I tried to take my rolled coins to the first time took a sample roll of each type of coin and opened them. They would not accept all my rolls because they said the company who get the coins from them would not take them. The bank would be left eating the cost. That is the reason I went to the machine around the corner of the counter and gummed it up.

2 hours ago, Optix said:

Do you use a tumbler to clean your clad, or is it unnecessary?

1 hour ago, Againstmywill said:

If you take them to a machine, make sure to wash them before dumping

Yes indeed. I toss everything in a 5 gallon bucket and swirl around with some granular laundry detergent, then dump it all in one of my mining sieves to wash clean of loose grit. They don’t need tumbling, but need to be free of any loose soil and adhered grit.

This 38 lbs got me $314 It’s fun getting the coin count back also.

herschbach-38-pounds-coins-found-metal-detecting.jpg
herschbach-coins-cashed-in.jpg

• Like 8

A fun fact I learned some time ago is that $1 in quarters weighs the same as $1 in dimes (about 22.6g), so if you separate them from  your nickles and pennies, weigh them in grams and divide by 22.6 you can make a pretty accurate estimate on how much you have without counting them.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Geez, you guys need $1 and $2 coins.  I don't even bother digging NZ current currency small change instead targeting the $1 and $2 coins, they add up quickly. 🙂

We are a strange country. We make $1 coins we won’t use, and won’t stop making pennies that cost more than a penny to make. Won’t matter much now though as everyone is going cashless and soon there won’t be any new coins to find. I’m one of the culprits... I use my mileage card for everything, and I do mean everything.

I cleaned the bulk of mine with a tumbler but just take a wire brush to the ones I picked up recently. Hand full of clad at a time isn't worth the electricity to tumble or the agravation of fishing them out of the media.

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

It seems the virus has sped up the demise of coins, even in NZ where we have eradicated the virus a lot of businesses even big businesses have signs up saying we don't accept cash, this all happened when the virus was active in the country and since then they've kept the no cash policy.  I too use my card for everything, the points add up quickly and I get free stuff, can't get that using cash. 🙂

I agree, except for the getting gasoline. The difference in cash vs. card can be substantial. I haven't used a card at a gas station for many, many years.

Simon,

We have many "bad actors" that put skimmers on the gas pumps to steal your c/c  info, than run up a tab till card is locked, or canceled!🤬   👍👍

I tumble coins in a Harbor Freight tumbler and always do the Amazon thing.  This last year has seen a much lower account total.  One year I had someone 'hack' my gift certificate online and they bought a camera with it and had it delivered to an Amazon locker in NYC.

Amazon was informed before the drop but they let it go anyway.  They made me 'whole' because they were at fault but those 'purchases' stayed on my account for about a year before they removed them from my profile.  I had kept my gift certificate online rather than lose the paper.  If you lose the Coinstar paper you are sol.

If you have a lot of pennies that won't go through Coinstar or any other machine you can still cash them in.  If you end up with pounds of them you can get the Federal Reserve Bank to accept them.  I've looked it up and I think they will just weigh what you bring to them or send through the banking system and give you an estimate.

An alternative to this is what a friend of mine does.  He has always taken his unspendable change to his bank and they give him the face value and then they get recovery from the Fed.

All those coins I've thrown away add up to several hundred dollars (maybe the value of a new detector).

Mitchel

• Like 2

According to Steve's formula if the coins are random it equates to a little over $8 a pound....I have a 5  gallon bucket about 3 inches from the top..it's all the coins i've found since I've been detecting except the good ones..and I can no longer pick up the bucket..it's just too heavy ..I keep telling myself I'm going to cash it in once it's topped out...been slacking for many months now and I need to hit the turf and and get it done...cool thred 

strick

• Like 5