Low Pinpoint Audio / Pairing Wireless

1 hour ago, midalake said:

WHY, is anyone going to "pinpoint" to recover a target???

Easy does it Dave.  I don't know why the original poster wants to learn to use the pinpoint function. Me personally, I have major digging restrictions in a lot of places I hunt like no shovels or even anything that looks like a shovel. Screwdrivers or probe hunting only, not even a turf knife. I use the pinpoint function to size targets and to check for multiple targets under the coil. Saves me from digging a stupidly deep hole, making a mess and getting every dirt fisher person in the Denver area banned from hunting public parks. I would hate for that to be on me and I really appreciate the area park workers letting us hunt and not reporting us.

I have actually used the pinpoint function to detect extremely deep targets at saltwater beaches and relic hunting. Works great as a non-motion all most "all metal mode".

Keep trying over on Find's Treasure . I will keep covering you when they say something really dumb.

Jeff

• Like 2

Ya Know. Going to throw my two pesos in again. Guys on land, got pin-pointers. Us beach guy's got BIG SCOOPS.  WHY, is anyone going to "pinpoint" to recover a target????

It is the biggest failure in any detector I have ever owned.

Sorry, I just see it as a waste of time and I already have two more targets out of the sand/ground while you were dicking around with "pinpoint" 

Be kind to others, it's hot and stressful right now!!!!!! 

Not really understanding your logic here.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Are scoops as hard as shovels and as likely to damage a target in the sand as a misplaced shovel in harder/more compact ground?  Pinpointing--at least in the dirt--lessens the likelihood of damaging the target with a shovel.

It's been my experience that pinpointing can be done in seconds.

6 minutes ago, DF in TX said:

Not really understanding your logic here.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Are scoops as hard as shovels and as likely to damage a target in the sand as a misplaced shovel in harder/more compact ground?  Pinpointing--at least in the dirt--lessens the likelihood of damaging the target with a shovel.

It's been my experience that pinpointing can be done in seconds.

Surf hunting is a whole different animal. Often the targets are actually moving and using the pinpoint function is going to result in a lost target. No time to mess around especially when the pinpoint function goes completely wonky with the coil submerged in salt water. Not using it is way quicker for target recovery and one less headache to deal with.

Jeff

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Surf hunting is a whole different animal. Often the targets are actually moving and using the pinpoint function is going to result in a lost target. No time to mess around especially when the pinpoint function goes completely wonky with the coil submerged in salt water. Not using it is way quicker for target recovery and one less headache to deal with.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff... knew I was missing something.  Wow!  I need to get some sleep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

No time to mess around especially when the pinpoint function goes completely wonky with the coil submerged in salt water. Not using it is way quicker for target recovery and one less headache to deal with.

Yes, to your quote above.  Yes, sometimes I like dumb things unseen.  Yes there is a broader signal length in all metal as compared to disc mode.  But both Disc and all metal [horseshoe mode] can easily PP the target almost as well. YES TO FINDS. 😉 

• Like 1

I think a good pinpoint function has a place for groomed park use for deep targets beyond the reach of a handheld pinpointer. And not everyone has a separate handheld pinpointer... why pay for and carry something extra if your detector has it built in? That seems to imply pinpointing is worthwhile after all. Whatever, to each their own, I don’t see the point of knocking people who do use a pinpoint function. Most of my detectors don’t have the function, and I rarely use it on detectors that do. But I don’t think that makes me better than other detectorists who rely on the function. This is about having a good time, not winning some digs per minute contest. Like you say.... be kind to others. :smile:

• Like 4

I find subtle information from the Equinox's pinoint function.  TennesseeSharpShooter has posted quite a bit about some techniques he uses.  It's another tool in the toolbox.  I don't have to use it every time or in every location or situation, but it's there when I need it.

Another example of a trick I've noticed (although this one I don't use currently) -- if I get a nickel signal (12-13 digital TID on the Eqx), I look at the strength meter ("depth meter").  For two targets that appear the same so far, switching to pinpoint seems to give a louder response for the (shallower) beavertail-only pulltab than for a (deeper) nickel.  I haven't really done sufficient study to be sure this works, and I don't mind digging pulltabs as much as some people do so I haven't used this for dig/no dig decisions.  But (if real) I see it as another example of what a (non-motion minimally filtered) pinpoint functions can add.  Next time out (hot, humid, and dry ground here :sad:) I'll do some more testing.  I have a site loaded with pulltabs (and a few nickels, too).

Although my parks don't have the restrictions such as Jeff's, I still prefer to dig as small of a hole as possible.  That's not a slam dunk with any method I've found unless the target is moderatly shallow, nicely (horizontally) oriented, and with no other trash within the detector+coil zone.  I prefer more information over less, but I do understand those who don't want to waste too much time with extra investigation when you're pretty sure you've got the target located.

• Like 2

I believe the pinpoint function on a metal detector is a really nice feature. 
when you’re in a park and you want to dig as small a hole as possible(people watch that sort of thing), it gives you a starting point. Since the Nox sees things very deep it’s nice to be able to start a dig and feel relatively confident(along with your hand held pinpointer) that it’s where the Nox says it is.If you’re on a beach, a backhoe will work just fine. High tide will cover the hole.
We in the deserts of the Great Southwest  don’t have that luxury. We  try to cover holes so there is very little trace. I don't mean to sound “Snippy”, but I know there are those who think a pinpointer is worthless. It’s better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. 
A little fiction and fact from the Desperado almanac

20 hours ago, Desperado said:

I just paired my Raycon E55 earbuds to my 800.  They seem to be ok.  

These buds are not APTX-LL (unless I am mistaken, but the specs don't call it out and users have commented on that fact on on the Raycon site).  If the BT symbol on your Equinox does not have a "+" sign after the symbol, then they are not low latency.  They will work but you might find that when you are swinging your coil over a target, the delay may make it appear as if the coil is detecting two targets because you will hear the audio delayed in relation to the coil position during the swing.  If this becomes an issue, you may have to switch back to the stock BT low latency phones or get a pair of low latency buds such as the Aukeys mentioned earlier by Jeff.  To date, I have not seen ANY true wireless buds (both earpieces fully wireless and not connected to each other) that support APTX-LL.  Good luck.