Comet Worth Going Out To See

We saw it from Reno just a couple days ago, and i highly recommend checking it out, it won't be visible for around another six thousand years, but right now you can still see it for another week or so.  

• Like 2

I have tried to get a glimpse of it for the past week and to my dismay there have been to many clouds on the horizon.

Glad for the additional information on exactly where it is and will keep trying to see it.

10 hours ago, 2Valen said:

I have tried to get a glimpse of it for the past week and to my dismay there have been to many clouds on the horizon.

For those of us in the Eastern half to 2/3 of the USA, except maybe those within a hundred or so miles of Canada, this is the absolute worst season of the year to view anything astronomical because of the water vapor in the atmosphere (humidity and especially clouds).  I got lucky on Thursday when we had a cool, not so humid day with clear skies still into the evening and after sunset.

Just another advantage of living in the Rockies and all the way west to the Pacific (well, except maybe in those coastal cities with mega light pollution).

It will be viewable (with help from good optics) for weeks but as it gets farther from the earth and sun it gets dimmer and the tail (sublimation/evaporation due to the sun) will shrink and eventually disappear.  Tonight and tomorrow night (19th and 20th, before the moon starts brightening the evening sky) might be the best of all if you can get clear skies and out of light pollution.  You can always wait for the next one but as that article I linked to notes, it's been 23 years since we've had one this bright in the Northern Hemisphere.  I've viewed at least six in my lifetime but I'm not banking on another.

• Like 1

Chris and I went out and saw it last night...spectacular! It was about 10:30 MDT. I'm surprised there isn't more about it in the news. About 15 or 20 degrees above the horizontal.

Jim

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Chris and I went out and saw it last night...spectacular! It was about 10:30 MDT. I'm surprised there isn't more about it in the news.

Jim

Jim....  I went out last night at about 10:30- 11:30 MT and couldn't find it?  My property is heavily timbered so it's possible that blocked it?  Clear skies, I looked N,S,E and West, peeked through trees, etc...no luck.  Which direction did you look..N,S,E or W..???  I'd be north of you ....

Thanks

1 hour ago, oneguy said:

Jim....  I went out last night at about 10:30- 11:30 MT and couldn't find it?  My property is heavily timbered so it's possible that blocked it?  Clear skies, I looked N,S,E and West, peeked through trees, etc...no luck.  Which direction did you look..N,S,E or W..???  I'd be north of you ....

Thanks

I looked NW....it was right below the "pan" of the Big Dipper. About 1/2 way between the bottom of the "pan", and the horizon.

Jim

51 minutes ago, oneguy said:

Thanks

Look at GB's pics above.  It is towards the NW below and to the right of the big dipper  (it is moving up and left on subsequent days as it journeys further away from the sun).  It is visible highest above the horizon at dusk and slowly moves towards the horizon as the evening progresses due to the earth's rotation.

Dummy me....!!!!   I see NOW from the pics above the notation of "NW" at bottom of pics and that's all I needed to know.  I'll find it tonight!  Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!

23 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I have mixed (guilty) feelings posting this since it is technically not related to the purpose of this site,

What!  Certainly it's related! A comet is perhaps the best omen for prophesying fantastic discoveries to be made by honest hard working prospectors.

I wish I qualified.

The comet was very visible here and much more impressive than the last one.