A Little Orx How To Video

bigtim1973

Hey guys. I guess there a ton of you who gold prospect here on this forum. But for those who coin shoot in parks and around old houses I made a video yesterday on how to deal with steel bottle caps with the ORX. I am using the HF coil. But you can get similar results with the X35 and your highest frequency offset.

Anyways here it is and I hope some one can get something out of it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the video and welcome to the forum - I have found that this "trick" is highly dependent on the composition and condition of the crown cap.  This doesn't work well on a pristine Corona crown cap but will work better on a rusted cap.  Regardless of composition or corrosion, what I HAVE found to be a reliable "tell" for a bottle cap is that will always experience an iron grunt of the front or back edge of the coil if you wiggle off the target, provided you have iron volume on (a pure non-ferrous target will not give that grunt unless ferrous nearby or the ground is highly mineralized) - the grunt effect is more noticeable at higher operating frequency settings.  Furthermore, if you listen carefully in your video, despite the similar visual target ID readings for the quarter and crown cap, to a Deus/Orx experienced ear, the audio is noticeably different.  The crown cap gives a more distorted, hollow sound due to the ferrous content while the quarter gives the telltale sonar ping that leaves no doubt.  Furthermore, the difference in behavior you noted between Coin Fast and Coin Deep is probably attributable to the fact that Coin Fast incorporates the Deus default silencer filter settings at  the lower recovery speeds (you did not note your reactivity setting) while Coin Deep has silencer turned off for all reactivity settings.  Silencer breaks up and somewhat mutes falsing ferrous, especially at higher frequencies. HTH.

• Like 1

A very good video,must admit i have never had any problems with bottle caps as such as i think most caps would be found on the beach and because i live so far inland and only detect farm land,so bottle caps are a rarity for me and cannot recall the last time i dug one up.Ring pulls are also not a problem as such either probably dig up just say a couple a year if that.

I guess its the location that you detect in that dictates bottle caps and pulltabs,if you detect near or on beaches and high traffic areas like parks etc then the amount of caps and pulltabs will be so much higher than say in the middle of a 100 acre field right out in the sticks.

Shotgun caps,roman nails from hobnail boots and military buttons by the 1000s that we find on alot of fields are our biggest problems i guess and the biggest problem in recent years is 'green waste' its when farmer get paid to spread what we are told is organic waste and that is spread over fields,this is so far from the truth as it often has highly toxix waste like chopped up pcb board,medical waste including needles and other non desirable items as well and many a decent high productive field has been rendered useless as every few inches metal waste triggers the detector off and you cannot detect the decent stuff hidden underneath the waste.

You folks across the pond have problems with bottle caps and pulltabs but we have the green waste issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickUK said:

...The biggest problem in recent years is 'green waste' its when farmer get paid to spread what we are told is organic waste and that is spread over fields,this is so far from the truth as it often has highly toxix waste like chopped up pcb board,medical waste including needles and other non desirable items as well and many a decent high productive field has been rendered useless as every few inches metal waste triggers the detector off and you cannot detect the decent stuff hidden underneath the waste.

That's terrible in so many ways.  I hope the idea hasn't/doesn't spread.  Plastics have become such a worldwide problem I wouldn't put it past some people to try such a technique with that waste.  Won't trigger our detectors, but that's just a small and (for the most part) insignificant malady compared to other damage....   (Sorry for veering off-topic again.)

You know I see where you fellows in the UK find the buttons on videos and a lot of times there just seems to be disappointment in their reaction when they pull them out of the dirt. Where as over here in the states we are elated to pull up buttons of all forms.

And that nasty green fertilzer sounds terrible. I wonder how many of your fellow detectorist have been pricked by those nasty and dirty needles from medical waste?? Sounds like a scam that got pulled over your fellow farmers over there.

What the heck ever happened to just burning that nasty stuff anyways???? I do not get it!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Thanks for the video and welcome to the forum - I have found that this "trick" is highly dependent on the composition and condition of the crown cap.  This doesn't work well on a pristine Corona crown cap but will work better on a rusted cap.  Regardless of composition or corrosion, what I HAVE found to be a reliable "tell" for a bottle cap is that will always experience an iron grunt of the front or back edge of the coil if you wiggle off the target, provided you have iron volume on (a pure non-ferrous target will not give that grunt unless ferrous nearby or the ground is highly mineralized) - the grunt effect is more noticeable at higher operating frequency settings.  Furthermore, if you listen carefully in your video, despite the similar visual target ID readings for the quarter and crown cap, to a Deus/Orx experienced ear, the audio is noticeably different.  The crown cap gives a more distorted, hollow sound due to the ferrous content while the quarter gives the telltale sonar ping that leaves no doubt.  Furthermore, the difference in behavior you noted between Coin Fast and Coin Deep is probably attributable to the fact that Coin Fast incorporates the Deus default silencer filter settings at  the lower recovery speeds (you did not note your reactivity setting) while Coin Deep has silencer turned off for all reactivity settings.  Silencer breaks up and somewhat mutes falsing ferrous, especially at higher frequencies. HTH.

yes you are correct. with the modern aluminum alloy types it would be harder to distinguish. But if I remember correctly they seem to pop up a little lower than what the zinc pennies do. I need to go and check this out. I have several of them out in a bin.

• Like 1

Like Chase Goldman, I use the wiggle back method to identify bottle caps.  If you have the iron volume on,  right when you get to the tip of the you will get the iron tone.  Almost 100% of the time it’s either a bottle cap or a rusty steel washer.  It works with both the hf coils and the X35 coils.

When doing the wiggle back, if you get the iron tone, turn 180 degrees and do it again.  If you don’t get it again after turning 180 degrees, dig it because it may be a good target next to a piece of iron.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Kaolin washer said:

How does it sound on a 14kring in 31Khz, as you had it tuned in

It would give the mid tone and the numbers would stay consistent.

• Like 1