Equinox / Vanquish Iron Bias " Bug "

Can I give this more than one like. Steve?  You hit the iron biased nail on the head.  This is the kind of thing that drives me bonkers when I read about it on the web.  NO FREE LUNCHES - exactly!  Foks need to realize that, especially when it comes to filter settings like iron bias, notch, and discrimination, even ground balance that NO FILTER is perfect, no filter has perfectly vertical break points (they all slope), and use of a filter merely enables you to tip the scales one way or the other to balance competing effects to best suit your brain, ears, environment, and desired target objectives.  In fact, metal detecting in general is all about balancing trade offs between competing elements - dig it all vs. cherry pick; coverage vs. depth vs.weight; discriminate or all metal; power vs. ergonomics;  visual vs. audio target ID; and so on. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Equinox / Vanquish Iron Bias " Bug "
28 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I read with wide eyed wonder a thread on another forum where it is stated that with the high Vanquish iron bias setting, or higher Equinox iron bias settings, that a dime stacked on a nickel returns a ferrous result. This has been called a bug, and some rather strident demands are being made that Minelab do something about it “or suffer the consequences.”

I'm not a violent person but I wish there were a way to virtually slap some sense into someone who would threaten a detector company if they didn't meet their selfish, petty, non-sensical demand.  I know -- invite that person over to detectorprospector.com and see what kind of response his/her 'demand' will receive here.

I don't make it a point of searching for modern coins, but they come along for the ride when I look for old coins.  My recordkeeping (begun at the beginning of 2017) shows I have found a modest (by many detectorists' standards) 3351 modern (post silver, post Wheat penny, post Buffalo nickel) coins.  Although I don't keep track of this kind of detail, my recollection is that I could count on two hands the number of times I've dug coins in intimate contact (and that's not because I had iron bias set too high and was missing them).  And if I have missed a few, imagine the number of good (deep, old!) targets I would otherwise have missed with a super high bias setting.

This reminds me of that person who joined here (apparently) just to point out (repeatedly and with great fanfare) that the Equinox would give an iron signal for a stack of silver coins.  He was trying to get us to praise and honor him as a hero for 'saving us'.

It seems some people think a detector should be perfect at everything, without realizing the tradeoffs they are requesting.  Next they'll be wanting the detector to dig the target for them.

• Like 3

I see a detector as a device that picks up everything, including the ground. Then we add filters. We do not like ground signal, so we employ a filter to eliminate that signal. Gold nuggets in particular overlap with the ground signal and simply filtering out one particular hot rock signal takes some gold nuggets with it.

People hate digging aluminum, so they employ a discrimination filter to eliminate the aluminum. For every target id number that can be created, at any scale level, there are "good" and "bad" targets. Eliminating any bad target comes at the cost of some good target.

It's all a choice. I run my detector with minimal filtering which tends to result in noisy detectors, and use my hearing to sort through the resulting signals to decide what to dig. I have a high tolerance for digging trash and so often dig iffy signals I really think are bad just to see. I'm usually right but every once in  a while I get a pleasant surprise. Other people can't stand all that noise, or hate digging any trash, so lean hard the other way. Most are probably somewhere in the middle.

I noted long ago the F75 tone break defaults will call non-ferrous items ferrous. Is that also a bug? In my opinion it reflects FT recognizing that most people hate digging ferrous, so they have dialed in a high iron bias. It literally is the same thing we are talking about here. You can set the tone break to get nearly all non-ferrous, but now you dig lots of good sounding ferrous. or you set to dig almost no ferrous, but now you miss some non-ferrous items. All discriminating metal detectors have some degree of iron bias dialed in, some adjustable, some not, but it is there is all of them. If you have a metal detector that eliminates 100% of the ferrous, you are missing non-ferrous items. That is a fact.

The Vanquish is aimed at beginners, and beginners typically want to dig little or no trash, and just find "good" stuff. It is important when starting out that this be the case, or people get frustrated and quit. As an entry level detector, the Vanquish has a higher level of iron bias built in, with only the 540 offering an adjustment between high (default) and low. The modes may also have different default levels built in which only testing would reveal. This dime on nickel test might help reveal that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I'm not a violent person but I wish there were a way to virtually slap some sense into someone who would threaten a detector company if they didn't meet their selfish, petty, non-sensical demand.  I know -- invite that person over to detectorprospector.com and see what kind of response his/her 'demand' will receive here.

My response is simple. By a different detector model by Minelab, or buy another brand. Boycott Minelab for eternity. I sure don't care. The only thing of consequence anyone of us can do is vote with our wallet, and only large numbers of people doing that will get Minelabs attention. These are just toys, not grandmas life support equipment. Discretionary spending at its finest. Tearing of hair and beating of chests just comes off looking silly at best. I know this for a fact.... all detectors miss stuff, and people would be shocked if they knew the reality of what they are walking over. You do not know what you are missing. Ultimately, switching brands is not going to solve this particular problem. The only way to gauge detectors is by what they are finding, and as long as a detector does a good job at the finding, most people are going to be happy with them. But if you think you have a detector that is somehow getting all the goodies and leaving just trash behind, I suggest you get a Minelab GPX 5000 and pick a 20 foot square you are sure you've hunted out, and go ahead and dig everything you left behind. The results might be shocking.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I do not think there are thousands, hundreds, or even dozens of dimes stacked on nickels that I am missing

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

29 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I suggest you get a Minelab GPX 5000 and pick a 20 foot square you are sure you've hunted out, and go ahead and dig everything you left behind. The results might be shocking.

I'm really glad you posted that article since I hadn't seen it.  I've multiple times read the one he linked to (where he searched and dug all metal targets of a baseball infield using a Minelab PI) and found something like 5 times as many coins as previously recovered using an IB/VLF.  Also, those who want to read more about his good finds at this historic site (shown at the end of the linked article and including his conclusions on when and who dropped the gold coin), see page 23-27 of this Fisher publication.

I have a perfect spot to perform a similar experiment but unfotunately it's in a city park where that much excavation would be frowned upon.  I need to find a private (permission) with similar conditions and 19th Century habitation history.

In my years reading magazines, webpages, books and (fewer) the years I've detected myself, these are the most eye-opening revelations I've ever come across, and it's not close.  Dankowski is my kind of detecting investigator.  Thanks for linking, Steve.

• Like 2

The X-Terra Iron Mask function illustrates the principle very well. Iron Bias works in a very similar fashion.

Minelab X-Terra 705 User Manual:

In Prospecting Mode, the objective is to find targets in mineralised, ‘difficult’ ground where target signals overlap each other. The Discrimination Scale becomes an expanded Ferrous Discrimination Scale (Iron Mask Discrimination Scale). If the Iron Mask setting is adjusted towards 0 most gold nuggets will be accepted, but some ferrous junk may also be accepted. If the Iron Mask setting is adjusted towards 20, more ferrous junk will be rejected but some gold nuggets may also be rejected.

minelab-xterra-705-iron-mask.jpg

The 540 should not even be included in the conversation. The solution is simple if a person wants the best possible performance on closely spaced or overlapping relatively shallow non-ferrous targets. Put the iron bias on low and hunt with as little discrimination as possible. Then of course, the same people who are complaining about deep iron on that other forum referred to would complain about shallow nails, bolts, nuts, screws, bottle caps, bobby pins, you name it.

There is a problem (I did not call it a bug BTW) with the unchangeable high iron bias setting on the 340 and 440. Walking over near surface closely spaced US non-ferrous coins in a coin spill which can sound like iron is just not okay in my book no matter what level of experience a person has or not. I have repeatedly experienced this with the Vanquish 340 and 440. A coin spill will have broken audio, jumpy numbers, with negative numbers and iron tones included if hunting with all targets accepted. A multi coin spill near the surface can even sound like one big target with really bad audio and numbers=large iron, tin, several foil covered bottle caps together, a set of keys, a corroded battery...........Most American (we don't have steel core clad that sounds really awful anyway like most countries do) beginners would say "yuck, more junk" and just walk on. Maybe that was the intention of Minelab but I doubt it.

Jeff

• Like 4

Thank's guys!! I guess I'm on the right track! It's all good!😂👍👍

20200716_194019.jpg

• Like 2