First Hunt With The New Simplex 9.5x5" Search Coil

Simplex Hunt with the NEW 8.5” Searchcoil

Part 1

By Sven Stau

July 12, 2020

Now I have read all about people having complaints the Simplex is to chattery and just noisy to use. So Nokta/Makro came out with Update 2.78 for those that don’t want a hot rod of a detector. My Simplex has not been updated to 2.78, didn’t feel the need to. Loaded on my Simplex is 2.77.

After a number of hours bench testing targets of various sorts from coins to gold and silver rings indoors. There was really no EMI issues living in this high rise. Maybe just a bit of noise at 7 bars, max. sensitivity. Much more quiet at 6 bars and silent or almost at 5 bars. This gave some indication how the detector would react in the wild.

Both new 8.5” round DD and the 9.5 x 5” coils were bench tested for air depth, reaction time, target ID, masking. First off, both coils are of the usaul high quality found supplied with Nokta/Makros other upper end detectors. They did not cheapen out, just because the Simplex is supposed to be an entry level detector. Both coils were impressive on the bench. Both coils would will really enhance a detectorists detecting ability to handle much more situations, hunting styles and types of hunting.

Both coils have no issues locating the usual good targets most are after. Target ID’s are more accurate, junk targets do bounce or have somewhat consistent ID numbers. Modes seem a bit better defined. Pinpointing is much easier, center of the 8.5” coil if using the pinpoint button or edge of the coils tip if using the pull back method.

Canadians will be interested on how it fares with the Canadian nickel plated steel clad coins.

There have been a number of different compositions of these clad coins over the years. Current clad coins are really junk. While the older composition coins can be difficult to ID due to some number bounce or whether they are lying flat or on edge. The older coins are not to difficult to find once you master their signature tones and ID number. They will mostly fall in the 60-72 number range. There will be exceptions. As for current composition coins. You will have to get your head around most detectors see them as rash targets. They will ID in the lower numbers such as 10-14 number range, if they are on edge, they drop ID numbers into the iron range 04-06 on average. That’s like nail range, so if you get a tight narrow target, or clipped audio sound that is not the usual nail double blip sound. Then you may as well check it out. Some of the older coins lying on edge will also ID in the 04-06 range.

Some want to know how depth will compare between the round and oval coils. Because they are DD, the round coils will get better depth. But, the oval coil have an edge hunting in very very trashy areas, where depth is not a factor. And will be better getting into tight spaces, such as corn stubble for farm field hunters. Air testing has shown the 8.5” coil gets close to the stock 11” coil air depth.

Saw others were asking about the coils weight. Some may find them a bit heavy, they are not super lightweight like those found on other detectors. As I recall they have to be heavier, the main reason is that the Simplex is both a land and water hunting detector. The coil has to be heavier so it will not try to raise to the surface. Like a beach ball when pushed under water, which takes a lot of human pressure to keep it down. If hunting in salt water, if the coils are not neutrally buoyant they will float unlike hunting in freshwater. So the Simplex being a dual purpose detector is probably not much different than other similar detectors. If the Simplex was strictly a land detector, super light weight coils could be made. And the Simplex would feel much lighter in weight more like the Quest detectors.

Today, went out to field test the 8.5” round DD coil. To a schoolyard hunted in the past, wasn’t too concerned if I didn’t find much or anything old. It was just to see how the coil handled the soil and performed among all the trash………………locating Canadian coins.

The Simplex was turned on and ground balanced. Notched out only the first bar, which I really didn’t have to do. First thing that was noticed, at 7 bars, max. sensitivity it ran stable and quiet. Didn’t matter which mode I was in. At 6 bars the Simplex was almost dead quiet. At 5 bars, basically a silent hunting detector. Except for All Metal’s mode threshold which is always there. Encountered no EMI, except from my pinpointer. Too lazy to switch frequencies, so the search coil was just moved out of the way. The only time you hear some slight chatter is when you lay the detector down to dig a target.

Most coin targets today were in the 5-7” range. They were not a problem for the Simplex to pick-up. As always there were some deeper targets, that were too deep to dig for. Performance was typical for a DD coil in the 8.5” range. Makes for a really good all purpose search coil that many favor. A breath of fresh air, it feels like when using the Simplex. Very pleased with this coil.

As for my finds, about $11.00 in Canadian clad, $1 and $2 coins, quarters, one nickel and a bunch of pennies, no dimes. And the usual trash.

Will point out, all modes were used, the mode I liked best for hunting Canadian clad was Park 2. Bench testing originally thought I would have preferred Park 1, the tones sounded a bit cleaner and crispier.

Next outing, will be checking out the 9.5 x 5” coil. Stay tuned.

Jump to Part 2

simplex finds july 12 8.5 coil.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the great write up Sven, mine is running 2.77 as well, I like it, works well with stock coil in my area,I even took it out under power lines to try and was able to detect no problem.

I will probably get both coils when available,I can see keeping the 81/2 on most of the time.

Was out to a school yard today I’ve hunted a few times and came away with six dollars, loonies, toonies and quarters seem easy to find pennies too, dimes and nickels seem elusive, as are gold rings lol.

I find myself grabbing the Simplex more than my Nox and Anfibio, it’s just fun easy to run and very capable. good job Nokta 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sven1 said:

Saw others were asking about the coils weight. Some may find them a bit heavy, they are not super lightweight like those found on other detectors. As I recall they have to be heavier, the main reason is that the Simplex is both a land and water hunting detector. The coil has to be heavier so it will not try to raise to the surface. Like a beach ball when pushed under water, which takes a lot of human pressure to keep it down. If hunting in salt water, if the coils are not neutrally buoyant they will float unlike hunting in freshwater. So the Simplex being a dual purpose detector is probably not much different than other similar detectors. If the Simplex was strictly a land detector, super light weight coils could be made. And the Simplex would feel much lighter in weight more like the Quest detectors.

Yes but probably most people use their Simplex for land hunting only and they would prefer lighter coils I think ... Apart from that do you know the weight difference between the Simplex 8,5 in and the 11in coils ?  Thanks ..   

On 7/13/2020 at 4:13 AM, palzynski said:

Yes but probably most people use their Simplex for land hunting only and they would prefer lighter coils I think ... Apart from that do you know the weight difference between the Simplex 8,5 in and the 11in coils ?  Thanks ..   

Just weighed the three coils, the 8.5 weighs the same as the 11" coil. The 9.5 x 5 coil weighs about 2 ounces less.

nokta-makro-simplex-5x9-10-coil-option-herschbach.jpg

My only beef with the Nokta stock coil is they have the ribs to strengthen them that make them hard to swing in the water. I see the 2 new coils don't have those ribs on top. How do they compare to the stock coil for water hunting?

8 hours ago, Sven1 said:

Just weighed the three coils, the 8.5 weighs the same as the 11" coil. The 9.5 x 5 coil weighs about 2 ounces less.

Ok I have weighted the 11in coil when I did the Simplex+ test  a year ago , then this gives the following figures:

-  the Simplex 11in coil  480grams  
-  the 8.5                         :   480grams
-  the 9.5X 5                   :   420 grams

Comparing with the Vanquish :
-  the V12 12X10          :   440grams
-  the V10 10X8            :   360grams 
- the V8 8X6                  :   310grams

( All weights without coil cover )

btw the Simplex 8.5in coil should have been lighter than the 11 coil as it is smaller  .. Weird ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, palzynski said:

btw the Simplex 8.5in coil should have been lighter than the 11 coil as it is smaller  .. Weird ...

Some size coils, may take more winds of wire to get the proper specs to work.

Simplex Hunt with the NEW 9.5x5” Searchcoil

Part 2

By Sven Stau

July 19, 2020

One week has passed since I field tested the 8.5” round search coil. Today, was the elliptical 9.5x5”

chance to show what it can do.

Headed back to the spot(s) hunted last weekend.

Today, really wanted to see what was missed by the 8.5” coil. Compare ID numbers that appear on the screen to the dug target. Check its depth capabilities, and its ability to handle trash. Typically I am a coin and jewelry hunter so, extreme depth is not needed. Most places hunted targets are found within the 5-7” range. There is always an assortment of trash to wade through. Main goal today was not to see how many good targets I could find without digging much trash. They say you have to dig trash to find treasure.

They called for rainstorms to hit the area by noon time. They came earlier than that, managed at least to get about 4.5 hours of digging in. First thing I noticed with this coil is, ground balancing was super easy. Next thing was, how stable the Simplex was. Very quiet when hunting with sensitivity at set at max. Only some light chattering when the detector is placed on the ground to dig a target. Simplex is running the 2.77 update.

Last weekend I ran Park mode 2, did the same today, with only the first notch, notched out. Other modes were also used at times and used to compare targets found in Park 2. Targets of all sorts were dug and many target ID numbers would reveal some consistencies depending upon the target. The pinpoint button feature also comes in handy to classify a target. Finding some similarity to the Tesoro Eldorado using the pinpoint/detuning feature on classifying a target by listening to the audio.

Dug trash and more trash than I have shown in the picture of today’s finds. Was pretty confident by the end of the hunt what targets I could pass on and what should be dug. The 9.5x5” coil works really well in the trash. Separates targets nicely and pinpointing is just about dead on, center of the coil if using the pinpoint button. Otherwise the pull back method is dead on as well. Really didn’t need the pinpoint button for locating the target precisely. The coils tip held up in an angle or edge helps locate a target, if an electronic pinpointer isn’t being used. Very, very nice coil….enjoyed using it.

It is known that an oval coil does not get the same depth as a round coil. The 8.5” round coil is much deeper. Noticed that hunting in Park 2 with the 9.5x5” coil, to get the same depth as the round 8.5” in Park 2, you had to switch to Park 1 mode. When switching from Park 2 to Park 1,using the 9.5x5” coil, noticed that mode needed a slower sweep speed. Park 1 is a better option in areas with more trash, if you don’t need the depth. And Pasture mode needs a bit slower swing speed but, gives greater depth. Switched to Beach and All Metal a few times here and there. Preferred Park 2 for most of the time.

One site, have hunted for the past 3 years, many, many times. Never found gold there, always hoped. Always had a thought there was at least one piece hidden away in there. Just so elusive, wasn’t giving up on this place until I find one. This mornings hunt panned out, almost passed on this particular target.

It was dug with the notion it was just another pulltab. Saw a golden color in the dirt, it was gold, real gold. A golden colored ring. Figured it was just gold plated….Took a good look at it, saw a cracked band and the front had double headed eagle design on it. Right away I knew it was foreign from one of Europe’s Balkan countries. Looked inside the ring and spotted three number—585. Proves to be European and being 14kt. Pretty nice find. Finally this spot gave up some gold. About 20 minutes later, 20’ away, dug another target, saw that gold color again. A golden colored ring with a Mason’s emblem on it. Pretty cool, I am on a roll, two gold rings in one day. Took a good look at it, no gold markings and saw some silver color in some high spots where the gold was worn off. Magnet proved it was not gold.

Overall, found the 9.5x5” coil another excellent search coil to own. Happy to have both Simplex accessory coils, on hand to choose from.

Simplex Finds 9x5 coil 1.JPG

simplex rings 1.JPG

simplex rings 2.JPG

simplex rings 3.JPG

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Sven1 said:

Noticed that hunting in Park 2 with the 9.5x5” coil, to get the same depth as the round 8.5” in Park 2, you had to switch to Park 1 mode. When switching from Park 2 to Park 1,using the 9.5x5” coil, noticed that mode needed a slower sweep speed. Park 1 is a better option in areas with more trash, if you don’t need the depth.

Great report and glad you found some juicy gold rings!

I'm confused by the above quote and hope you will explain (and troubleshoot) my problem.  I'll now say what I think you said:

1) In Park 2 (otherwise similar settings) the round coil is deeper than the eliptical.

2) However, with the eliptical coil mounted, switching to Park 1 will give you similar depth to the round coil in Park 2.

3) But you finish with: "Park 1 is a better option in areas with more trash, if you don’t need the depth."

My confusion is with #3 phrase: "...if you don't need the depth."  That sounds contradictory to #1 and #2.  It implies to me that if you need the depth, Park 1 isn't the choice (thus Park 2 is better?).

Congrats on the gold, masons ring is something, my great grand father and grand uncles were masons, great grandfather was a grand mason of high order. Which my great grandmother didn't sell it. Glad you found one, they aren't all that common.