First Hunt With The New Simplex 9.5x5" Search Coil

5 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Great report and glad you found some juicy gold rings!

I'm confused by the above quote and hope you will explain (and troubleshoot) my problem.  I'll now say what I think you said:

1) In Park 2 (otherwise similar settings) the round coil is deeper than the eliptical.

2) However, with the eliptical coil mounted, switching to Park 1 will give you similar depth to the round coil in Park 2.

3) But you finish with: "Park 1 is a better option in areas with more trash, if you don’t need the depth."

My confusion is with #3 phrase: "...if you don't need the depth."  That sounds contradictory to #1 and #2.  It implies to me that if you need the depth, Park 1 isn't the choice (thus Park 2 is better?).

I tripped on that one too.  Think he meant Park 2 for trash, looks like a typo.

With the 2.76 update:

(New) Park 1 = More depth, slower recovery 

Park 2 (Old Park 1)  = More separation, faster recovery less depth than Park 1

From the Nokta Website change log for version 2.76:

2. An extra mode has been added – Park 1

The Park mode on the previous versions has been named as Park 2 on this update and a new Park 1 mode has been added.
Park 1 is relatively deeper but a bit slower than Park 2 mode.
In this mode, the device produces a low tone for ferrous targets with 0-15 IDs, a medium tone for gold and non-ferrous metals with IDs 16-69 and a high tone for non-ferrous metals with IDs 70-99 such as silver, brass and copper.

• Like 1

Simplex update 2.77 with the new modes

Park 1 gets better depth than Park 2. You have to swing slower to separate trash and get an ID
Park 2 separates closer targets better you can swing faster as it recovers faster, drawback is less depth. Better in trashy areas with close targets, where depth is not real import but target separation and unmasking is important.

Oval DD coils get less depth than a round DD coil.
This is just an example, not true to form.
8.5" round coil Park 1---------8" Park 2-----------6"
9.5x5 oval coil Park 1---------6" Park 2-----------4"

From the new updated manual:
PARK MODES: These are the 3-tone discrimination modes designed for coin hunting especially in
trashy sites such as parks.
Park 1
It is relatively deeper but a bit slower than Park 2 mode.
In this mode, the device produces a low tone for ferrous targets with 0-15 IDs, a
medium tone for gold and non-ferrous metals with IDs 16-69 and a high tone for
non-ferrous metals with IDs 70-99 such as silver, brass and copper.

Park 2
In this mode, the device produces a low tone for ferrous targets with 0-15 IDs, a
medium tone for gold and non-ferrous metals with IDs 16-42 and a high tone for
non-ferrous metals with IDs 43-99 such as silver, brass and copper

Park 1 I would guess is a 3 tone version of the MK's 4 tone mode and Park 2 seems identical to the MK's 3 tone mode. That sound about right?

Curious why the tone breaks are different between P1 and P2?

34 minutes ago, kac said:

Park 1 I would guess is a 3 tone version of the MK's 4 tone mode and Park 2 seems identical to the MK's 3 tone mode. That sound about right?

Curious why the tone breaks are different between P1 and P2?

Haven't used a MK in a few years. What I noticed with the Simplex. When in Park 1 because of the tone breaks, my gold wedding band sound the same as canslaw. In Park 2 the gold ring and canslaw tone report is different, due to the tone breaks. Just guessing, the tone breaks are as such to make it easier to determine canslaw from other targets in trashy areas.

• Like 1

Can you adjust tone breaks on the Simplex? I tweaked my 4 tone settings so i get a nice honk on small to medium gold, horrid squawk on zinc pennies and nice high tone for copper-silver.

Can post those in another topic tomorrow if anyone is interested.

On 7/20/2020 at 10:08 PM, kac said:

Can you adjust tone breaks on the Simplex? I tweaked my 4 tone settings so i get a nice honk on small to medium gold, horrid squawk on zinc pennies and nice high tone for copper-silver.

Can post those in another topic tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Not a feature on the Simplex. Only Fixed tone breaks. But, the tone breaks are somewhat different between Park 1 and Park 2 modes.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 2:11 PM, Johnnysalami1957 said:

I ordered the small round coil and a lower shaft today from Colonial Detectors today. I'll get back to you all how it goes.  

Good for you, think you'll enjoy it.

• Like 1