A Night With My 5000 On The Beach

I've told myself for months it was time to go out with the 5000 and the Coiltek Platypus mono coil and try for some deep targets.  Last night was the night.  I think I learned more about my beach then I did about the detecting setup.

This is the coil:

https://www.seriousdetecting.com/product/coiltek-12-x-8-platypus-mono-300x220mm-for-minelab-sd-gp-gpx-series-detectors/

I don't have any pictures of finds because it was all junk except for 2 pennies.  I went out to a low tide wet area where I never find much with the Equinox 800 and I didn't find much with this either.  I was going after deep targets and I got a few aluminum can bottoms at 15 inches plus.  I had my giant scoop for the task so I didn't have to give up on the targets like I would with an arm scoop.

What I learned is that with these conditions there just wasn't a patch of targets in the 'staging area' waiting to be washed up on the shore.  Maybe they are farther out.

I mostly used the 5000 in Salt/Gold and I was really able to go as high as I wanted with the gain.  (For about 20 minutes I used fine gold but it had a hum when I swung.)  I stayed around 16 for the 2 hours I hunted.  I used my harness that I got with the detector in 2010 and a hipstick but it is a heavy load for me right now.  It started to hurt my back between the heavy scoop and the detector.  I cancelled my long walk style that I do with the 800.  I was trying to go places where I would go with an AQ.  I may have learned enough to not want one of those now.

I was impressed that the battery worked fine and has not been charged much since I got a Z for the desert.

I'll use this setup again on a better conditioned beach that has more targets but it is just not that much better at depth for it to be my regular detector.

Mitchel

• Like 7

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Coiltek Platypus mono

This was my preferred coil before being too tired of dealer's restrictions from Coiltek..

I don't even thought to call the Italian dealer due to the steep price!

So I ended with an 8"Detech mono to swap it on the Tdi-Bh 12"dual field...Still waiting the shipment, cause the package is going around Europe with an incredible tour🙄...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

I like you have decided a PI on the beach isn't for me, sure they work well but I like good discrimination and Target ID's.  I'm happy to sacrifice some deeper targets to have that ability.

And You're right on this way to act.

Consider the P.I. as a "B plan" on the beach...I only use it if facing blind research over a certain sand covered bottom in the water... Otherwise I still depends from my old Ctx to kill the easier exposed beauties fastly....😉

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, phrunt said:

flat (spiral) wound Elites

If in the future I'll be able to make again the swap work with my hands, probably this can be an option to evaluates...I actually don't know if the flat elites is really that thinner than other's profiles, but I still think to   the floating behaviour underwater...

I'm at a point to realize by myself the machine's structure to suit my needs...And I'm scared to say the least...Electronics is not properly what I chew everyday..

That's a good report Mitchel. That is the whole picture when hunting, knowing what your walking into...and having the right machine for the job. I know things can move around fairly "quickly" when it comes to beach's but being able to get a good idea of what's going on "Now" can help you see a pattern in the future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know my energy beaches pretty good I think.  These are the beaches where the targets are cast up on occasion by waves and tides. 

I think there are some deep beaches too but I don't know if I can find them.  There are some good PI beach hunters here.  I had a good rest last night so I have to try harder.  haha

Mitchel

• Like 5