For Those Who Go Out Prospecting I Have A Few Questions

How much does it supplement your income?

I have gotten lucky a few times out and found enough to pay off some gear or pay for the trip, but in general, the trip is the reward. In the US, small-scale prospecting and mining are mostly hobbies. The economics just don't work out for it to be more than that. I look at it like hunting or fishing. Is that buck really worth all that I spent on my rifle, tags, time off, vehicle, camo, and scouting? Not if you count it in dollars. The experience is what you are really mining, not the gold. But finding gold is always a great feeling and hard to compare to other hobbies. Heart goes from zero to sixty real fast.

What about chiggers and ticks, do you have to deal with those pesky critters too out in dry climates?

Always smart to check your creases for ticks. I usually get one or two a year. Out west in certain areas the poison oak is more troublesome, and it pays to be prepared for it with either Tecnu or Dawn. Also snakes, spiders, bears, scorpions, centipedes, wolves, and cougars depending on where you are. Mostly they leave you alone, but you need to be aware of your surroundings and have a plan for each situation.

Other than your machine and digging stuff, what else does one take along while prospecting for those just in case you need it scenarios?

I have a daypack with food, water, compass, first aid, extra socks, rain cover, bear spray, gold pan, water purifier, and bunch of other stuff I forgot. It stays packed so I can grab and go. In some areas I will lug a pistol around due to bears. Also, a good 4x4 vehicle is a must if you want to get harder to reach areas which may have more gold. Boots without steel toes are helpful since the machine will signal on them.

Do you hunt mostly on a claim or public land?

Have done both but I prefer the freedom of public land.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Jim in Idaho said:

I've often thought that we are, more often then we think,  on the ragged edge of serious trouble.

But we didn't fall over that edge.  There is a selection effect here -- the fact that we're still around to talk about it.  The ones who went over the edge....

Also, danger is relative to preparedness, experience, and performance under pressure.  Those things we have a say in.

(Even with that, we probably shouldn't let our spouses / significant others read this thread.)

• Like 2

Every time I leave home, especially now at the age of 71, Chris understands she might not see me again. But she also understands I'd rather die with my boots on. Preparedness is fine, but luck also plays a role. And luck can turn on you at any moment. Most of the time, nobody knows, or cares where I am. Get 2 or 3 miles from the pickup, usually off any trails, make a misstep and break an ankle, or any of a dozen other possiblities, and you're in real trouble. At my age, I watch every step I take. Also stop more often and check the country all around, and pay attention to smells. And hope Heidi is on her toes. And I avoid each and every person I might see. When Dave and i were in Nevada in June, we had a guy carrying an ARr-15, and a large caliber pistol, walk right into camp and start asking questions. He didn't realize that's a good way to get shot. Didn't holler from outside camp, or anything. Just walked in like he owned it, and started asking what we were doing, etc. He was one of those checkerboard land squatters. Owned a place a mile away and was worried we were up to no good. Obviously nobody ever taught him outdoor etiquette. Two-legged critters can be more dangerous than four-legged.

Jim

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

I've often thought that we are, more often then we think,  on the ragged edge of serious trouble. I've spent a really large part of my life in the outdoors, and usually alone. I've called in mountain lions, alone. many, many coyotes, bobcats, and other predators.Been stuck in snow in high mountain passes. Waded raging rivers while fly fishing. A large number of those situations could easily haven turned from good stories to tell, to tragedies. All it would have taken was one small misstep, or piece of bad luck. And we've all BTDT, and have the T-shirts, and the hats.

Jim

So true, reading your words really points out the need to respect how quickly a wonderful day can go completely south, and to be prepared because on occasion it will.

It’s about the adventure, the chance and the little rewards along the way...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1515Art said:

So true, reading your words really points out the need to respect how quickly a wonderful day can go completely south, and to be prepared because on occasion it will.

It’s about the adventure, the chance and the little rewards along the way...

LOL...yes, Clark, and the belief that nature never hurt the heart that loves her.

Jim

Keep in mind HEALTH cost in remote area. I had a Flying Dotors air flight of over 200 Miles to Hospital back in 2011. I was lucky I had health cover. It  may be different in the USA but it can be costly in remote location. As for income form gold I started with a second hand gold dredge since then gold bought all our gold gear, and a few multi ounce nuggets that the kids will get.😉

10 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

I look at what you call prospecting from two different perspectives. IMHO nugget hunting, and using a highbanker, sluice, etc., isn't prospecting. I define prospecting as trying to find unknown deposits of marketable metals (a prospect). Real prospecting involves, at least most of the time, going to places where the odds of finding anything are low, but there is the chance of a big payoff, in the event you do find something. They are separate disciplines of the same overall activity, and to some extent, they use some of the same tools. I'm sure not everyone would agree.

Jim

Count me in Jim. I prefer prospecting to fossicking. All or nothing - quite often nothing, but then you can get very lucky sometimes.

bigtim1973:  best to approach it as a hobby with occasional benefits. 👍 

Prospected gold found miles from any known goldfield:

IMGP1324.thumb.JPG.1449ab8463b7ad7b9368bc980186293c.JPG

• Like 4

LOL...me too, but I haven't had the reward you've obviously had.

Jim

• Haha 1

Depending on where you live, protection from venomous snakes can be vitality important. Snake gaiters and venom extractors help for common rattlesnakes. The Ozblokes on this forum can advise re: their more deadly serpents.

• Like 3

I try to avoid snake country when the snakes are active. I always have Heidi with me, and I worry more about her than myself when it comes to snakebites. I know you guys down south don't have the luxury of avoiding snake country....they're everywhere...LOL. I keep Heidi's snake shots up-to-date, too. Wish they had them for people.

Jim