Leg Of Mutton Nugget, Australia 1853

That's a great read Chet. 

Captures the essence of the early gold rush years extremely well. Sadly, no images survive.

• Like 1

Thank you Chet, after eeking out 13 dwt in 152 flakes over 11 trips to the desert, that was refreshing.
The old timers would faint if they knew how easy we have it these days.
How are your (shhhh)-coils working out?

• Like 1

I definitely enjoyed reading that, Chet.  Here in North America we get a lot more info on our gold rushes than those in other parts of the world, as you know.  The description of the conditions sure reminded me of California in 1849.  And to think those two occurred almost simultaneously.  Those were crazy times and some even participated in both (and even more)!

I think it said the finders sold the nugget for 10,000 British Pounds.  I wonder what that is equivalent to in today's currencies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

I think it said the finders sold the nugget for 10,000 British Pounds.  I wonder what that is equivalent to in today's currencies.

At to days gold price alone the nugget would be worth close to $3,000,000. Of course a lot more at auction.

Just think there are more of them out there just waiting for some lucky person.

From the Aussie Gold Hunters video;  the dig holes are probably similar to the ones described in the story above. Just think of digging straight down to a clay area or bedrock then tunneling horizontally without shoring up the walls or roof. I would prefer to be the guy lifting the bucket and disposing the dirt.   

Dig holes near Victoria Australia.JPG

• Like 1

That was a good story! Thanks for the link.