Unusual Coin Find

Great find and great hunting.

Let us know what else you get on your next trip.

Excellent results Norm, congratulations are certainly in order!!! Many coin hunters consider it an axiom that when wheaties are here then silver is near. Good luck with any further detecting excursions to that site....... Jim. 

Norm,

What detector were you using?

Mitchel

Mitchel

I was using my 800 with the detector speaker. I went to that remote area so no one else would have to listen to my detector. My headphones and WM 08 are with Minelab for repair or replacement and my aftermarket ones haven't arrived.

Norm

12 hours ago, normmcq said:

Then I found I found the coin from Luxembourg, 1954 25 Centines, it happens to be worth more than the silver.

Nice finds, Norm.  You seem to be very good at searching out those old camping sites that (apparently) no one else has detected.

What is the composition of this Luxemburg (I'm using the German spelling 😁) coin and what digital TID did it show on the Eqx?  I'm surprised such a small country (population just over half million today, and the size of a 32mi X 32 mi square) even has a mint.  (Or maybe I should use past tense?)  Have you found the quantity minted for the 1954 date?

As a personal side note, my maternal grandmother came to the USA from there in 1887 at the age of 4.

• Like 1

GB

The composition of that coin is aluminum, the TID was 20 with a high tone. I am like you, surprised to find that such a small country had a mint. No info on the mintage number but it must not have been many.

Norm

• Like 1

I did a little research and found out they made 7,000,000 of that coin. Also it went out of circulation in the late 80's. very cool find, I would hit that place again!!!