Looks like a great option! 👍

• Thanks 1

The detector without battery weighs 3.2 lbs, a solid pound lighter that with the battery. And while it may not be as well balanced, I could swing it all day like that with no problem at all. But then I am used to much heavier detectors, like the ATX and GPZ 7000.

Here is a mockup of what this would look like with the 26650 battery pack simply strapped under the armrest using the included velcro strap, which would work just fine. It would need a different power cable setup. Imagine the square USB outlet at a headphone jack instead. The whole thing might be waterproofed but I think I'd submerge the battery box at the bottom of a swimming pool for 24 hours and see what happens before I'd go that far. Joe has the better alternative for that already.

Replacing the Fisher battery with this 4 x 26650 alternative under elbow puts the weight right back at stock, 4.2 pounds, but with a much longer run time (to be determined).

steveh-aq-battery mod-4.jpg

• Like 2

I'm really impressed at how creative you can be. I need help changing the batteries in my Ray-O-Vac flashlight. 😄

• Haha 1

Great Job Steve!! For the price and setup you can't go wrong. 

Powered up - and no smoke! Love that!

We have the same wiring colors. The good, the Brown is Hot, and the Blue is the Neg..Same as the Excalibur's wiring. So it's easy for me to remember. 

20200718_225030.jpg

• Like 4

Steve,  good engineering job on that AQ hombrew battery system! I followed your design and just ordered the battery holder and cable, but now the EBL 26650 are out of stock on every website! Since I'm awaiting my AQ, I have some time to wait for the batteries and components.:fisher:

Bill 

Battery options are evolving so rapidly some stuff is becoming obsolete before it hardly gets started. According to this article that is the case with the 26650 battery. It sounds like many of them are unreliable "rewraps."

The battery holder does have sleeves for 18650 batteries. I have two of those left over from another project, and may have to get a couple more just to have a complete set for this pack as a backup.

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Battery options are evolving so rapidly some stuff is becoming obsolete before it hardly gets started. According to this article that is the case with the 26650 battery. It and this other article recommend various 26650 alternatives, but sounds like it may be a bit risky, especially on eBay, which has pretty loose standards on this sort of stuff.

The battery holder does have sleeves for 18650 batteries. I have two of those left over from another project, and may have to get a couple more just to have a complete set for this pack as a backup.

I'm not sure about that web site, those UltraFire batteries are junk..and they have them as #2..??..I've learn best to buy the brand names...Like Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, LG...anything with fire in the name is a reject from the mentioned brand names, one's that did not pass spec's, and has been repackaged. I'm new to the EBL's but from what Carolina, Dew and looks like AAron says they are good..

https://www.18650batterystore.com/18650-Batteries-s/106.htm

Steve, 

Based on the website I ordered the 4-pack 26650 8000 mAH li-ions, flat top battery with protection and a 2 slot charger from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086RGS6TX?tag=homeelectr0a1-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&keywords=26650 Battery

Bill

• Like 1

I agree Joe and I'm not vouching for any of them except the EBL ones I have. I deleted that second link. Supposedly none of the big name guys are making 26650 batteries anymore is the main problem.

Bill, I guess the main thing is these things are dirt cheap, so not like we can get burned too bad. Only need to come up with four good ones.

I ordered the rubber boots I linked to above from Amazon. They are not as thick walled as I hoped and do not add much strength, but at least a little protection is better than none. I'm giving this a go tomorrow and will report back.

battery-boot.jpg

steveh-aq-battery mod-5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1