An intrepid forum member passed this along. Interesting, as the name does not sound “recreational” to me, more like something for geologists or exploration companies?

November 29, 2020 note: We know now this is related to the new GPX 6000 introduction.

https://search.ipaustralia.gov.au/trademarks/search/view/2104206?q=minelab

B5B4EFCB-9643-4341-A190-4B118D0A5BF3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

From the brief description on the page:

Class 9: Detectors for electrically conducting materials, namely, metal detectors, metal detectors for industrial or military purposes, metal detectors for countermine purposes, metal detectors for consumer and recreational purposes, metal detectors for gold mining purposes, metal detectors for use in conjunction with software; metal detectors with mapping and/or global positioning system functionalities; electromagnetic coils for metal detectors.

Is that just a general description, or is it hinting at what this model might be capable of doing?

I scrolled through a few others with the class 9 category, and the description changes a bit. Seems like they use a bunch of keywords that may or may not necessarily indicate the capabilities of the machine.

The Vanquish description is as follows:

Class 9: Metal detectors; Surveying apparatus and instruments; Oscillographs; Inductors (electricity); Probes for scientific purposes; Metal detectors for industrial or military purposes; Electromagnetic coils
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

An intrepid forum member passed this along. Interesting, as the name does not sound “recreational” to me, more like something for geologists or exploration companies?

https://search.ipaustralia.gov.au/trademarks/search/view/2104206?q=minelab

B5B4EFCB-9643-4341-A190-4B118D0A5BF3.jpeg

I have a picture of it!!!!  YES, this was over our house a couple months ago!!!!!

image.png.17f0b7c9cb9b930fd18b94699e0d2cbb.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Yup, the hints are in the category description, note on the Geo-Sense PI

" metal detectors with mapping and/or global positioning system functionalities "

I really thought they'd give up on GPS on the detectors, CTX and GPZ have it, I don't know how many use it, I don't.  I also note they have never really put any effort into the software, in fact it didn't work after a GPZ firmware upgrade for such a long time it seemed they didn't care about it at all.

I use it.  In a dark desert I lose sense of direction.

Simon, you told us you don't detect in some places where there are HUGE NUGGETS because you get lost.  Turn on your GPZ GPS!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, phrunt said:

Yup, the hints are in the category description, note on the Geo-Sense PI

" metal detectors with mapping and/or global positioning system functionalities "

I really thought they'd give up on GPS on the detectors, CTX and GPZ have it, I don't know how many use it, I don't.  I also note they have never really put any effort into the software, in fact it didn't work after a GPZ firmware upgrade for such a long time it seemed they didn't care about it at all.

I started a series on the CTX and GPZ mapping system, but got so demoralized by Minelab’s own lack of interest that I never finished the series after the second entry. I still think it is a critical tool for me, but now use a separate GPS because I no longer have faith in Minelab supporting the system.

GPS Mapping with the Minelab CTX and GPZ Detectors (Part 1)

GPS MAPPING WITH THE MINELAB CTX AND GPZ DETECTORS (PART 2)

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

never mind lol.. it was another rant that will remain unacknowledged by ML…why waste everyone's time...

(but thanks Klunker if you saw it…)

• Thanks 1

ML have filed a lot of patents the last few years regarding "improved metal detectors" or something to that effect. I wonder if this logo might not be a full detector but some kind of technology with it's own logo. Like MPS, SETA, etc etc.

For instance, something like this patent which seems to determine the position of the target in the ground related to the position of the coil using some coordinate system, and then plots it on the screen. This patent here is similar, except seems to use similar ideas to improve the performance of auto ground balancing, and specifically references PI machines so maybe the new "thing" has to do with it? I just read the abstract but it almost sounds like it uses GPS coords to "remember" the ground balance it learned at that spot, and uses the same information to re-ground balance to the same settings when you go back to the same spot? I dunno, I need to read the full patent some day, that seems pretty innaccurate since GPS is only accurate to like 9ft on a good day.

Or maybe I was thinking about this patent. Similar idea, with some diagrams of the guy moving his coil around.

Of other note, there are some patents related to enhanced signal processing (potentially discrim, or better ways to deal with variable ground) and dealing with salt. Also newer patents on constant current machines (the GPZ is one of these). It sure seems like a new prospecting machine should be on the horizon, but it just never seems to arrive...

Anyways, cool to have some mystery to look forward to again at the least. :cool:

• Like 2