Fisher Gold Bug Pro vs Nokta FORS Gold+

The Fisher Gold Bug Pro is one of the most popular VLF prospecting detectors in use today. I think it is pretty obvious Nokta is gunning for the Gold Bug Pro directly with the new Nokta FORS Gold+ and so I thought a little comparison is in order.

The FORS Gold+ comes with two coils, a 10" x 5.5" DD and a 5" round DD. Few people probably know it but the Gold Bug Pro is available as a dual coil package with the exact same two coils, the Fisher Gold Bug Pro Two Coil Combo. Both detectors run at 19 kHz, both available with same two coil package - a direct head to head battle. The best Internet price for the Fisher Gold Bug Pro Two Coil Combo is $749 and the Internet price for the Nokta FORS Gold+ Two Coil package is $679.

post-1-0-03888000-1446748641_thumb.jpg
post-1-0-32509200-1446748652_thumb.jpg

I prepared a little comparison chart for you here. One thing lacking is that I think the Nokta comes with coil covers and the Bug does not but I am not sure of that yet so left that off the chart for now. And another item I just thought of but am not going to bother changing in the chart right now is that the Nokta does have a concentric coil option while the Fisher is designed to run DD coils only. Concentric coils offer certain benefits in some detecting scenarios like better ferrous discrimination compared to DD coils.

post-1-0-02240200-1446746486_thumb.jpg

I have used the Gold Bug Pro extensively and although I have not used the FORS Gold+ yet I have compared the Bug to the original FORS Gold at 15 kHz. The two models are literally neck and neck on gold nuggets even comparing 19 khz to 15 khz so I have no doubt that as far as detecting gold goes it is going to be a real toss up between these models. The operator will make the real difference more than the machines themselves. The FORS Gold+ however offers more features at an extremely aggressive price so on paper at least it offers an incredible value.

A new feature difference is that the Nokta now has a setting they are calling iSAT which is a version of what White's has always called V/SAT. This was a White's exclusive for a long time but if there ever was a patent it has run out. All detectors these days with a threshold based all metal mode are constantly retuning in an attempt to keep the threshold steady over ground variations. This is why if you stop moving the coil the target fades away. The retune rate is normally factory preset and cannot be changed, but White's has always offered the ability to vary what they call the Self Adjusting Threshold (SAT) rate to suit the operator. Slower settings are more sensitive but require slower coil sweeps while faster settings smooth signals out and allow for faster coil movement. In homogeneous ground slower settings will get you extra sensitivity while in variable ground faster settings help smooth false signals.

In my opinion however it will come down to what often separates detectors when I use them myself, the intangibles of how detectors sound and how they feel. The FORS Gold+ is a solid pound heavier than the Gold Bug Pro. Surprisingly however if you get a chance to try them both you do not feel it when using the 10" coils because the Nokta is balanced with the underarm control box while the Fisher tends to be nose heavy with the 10" coil. The real difference in this regard is the Fisher "S" rod grip versus the Nokta pistol grip. I can promise you right now some people like S rods and some hate them, and the same can be said of the Nokta pistol grip. You simply can't know unless you get them on your arm for a couple hours. The Nokta does have the edge in the audio department however with multiple tone settings. That does not mean a person still might not like the sounds the Fisher puts out better but at least with the Nokta you can change it to some degree. Finally, there is the large forward facing display on the Gold Bug Pro versus the dual LCD displays on the FORS Gold+. Everything on the Fisher is in your face all the time. Nokta puts the rarely used adjustments in a side display on the control box while critical items like target ID are displayed on a miniature LCD mounted on the top of the pistol grip. In practice both work fine but the Nokta is a bit more awkward in some regards because of this during those times when you actually do have to make adjustments. Ultimately both styles will have fan clubs and detractors but what I like most is choice. More options for us to choose what we personally prefer and that is a good thing.

Long story short I think these are both great detectors and it is pretty hard to go wrong with either of them. Both are intended primarily for nugget detecting but can be used for most general detecting tasks. In fact, machines like these tend to be very popular with the relic hunting crowd who are seeking low conductive targets like buttons and bullets in ferrous trash.

Anyway, I hope this helps for those who may be considering either of these detectors to sort it all out. More information on the Fisher Gold Bug Pro can be found at http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-equipment/fisher-gold-bug-pro-nugget-metal-detector.htm and more information on the Nokta FORS Gold+ can be found at http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-equipment/nokta-fors-gold-plus-metal-detector.htm

• Like 4

The one thing I might add which makes a big difference to some people like me - and I say this as a Nokta fan so don't take it the wrong way - is that Nokta's service dept in the US is KellyCo and Fisher does their work in house.

It took a week for Fisher to repair my GB2 and get it back to me. It took the entire summer of dealing with faulty detectors (I'm on my 3rd FORS Core now and this one has a problem right out of the box too, I'm just tired of returning them) and Kellyco's glacially slow and often completely unresponsive service department. It was my first time dealing with Kellyco and I'm completely unimpressed by them personally.

Just something to consider for both consumers and Nokta.

• Like 4

Hi Jasong

Did you buy your Nokta from Kellyco ? I know the Gold Bug Pro is a great detector but I just sold it to a friend. Done it to buy another and I don't know what that is at this time.

That's not much of a repair depot if they give you the run around and just sit on it. I had the same trouble with a TDI and it came back three times from White's. The way it got fix was Jimmie S. said give me a new one and they did.

Chuck

Yup, the condensation is a killer with the F19. Makes it false like crazy. 

Had the same problem Ray with my gb pro 10x5 coils. Happened to 3 in a row. Last one didnt happen till after 1 year warranty. So I was stuck with it. I never go to creeks. Mine got moisture from dew and detecting in the rain. Once it dries out inside in a few months it works again. The sealant fisher uses to bond the top to the bottom of the coil seems to dry out and crack. Then it leaks. Thats where I found a micro crack where moisture was getting in. I have heard many others had the same problem with gb pro 10x5. Was a great coil before the problems.