X-coil Gold

14 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

Just send GPS coordinates, this will suffice...;)

PS: Not many areas in the Motherlode were hunting with the GPZ is fun. Unless you are having fun cleaning up the trash from 100's of thousands of old time miners

I always run with the GPZ 7000 in enhanced GPS mode and record all Find Points. When Minelab fixed the GPS software I accidentally lost approximately 50 find points when I loaded the fix. On this trip when I tried to record the fifth nugget location it would not accept the Find Point because it had limited out at 100 Find Points.

In the trashy areas I hunt with the Equinox 800 with the small coil in my left hand and the GPZ 7000 in my right hand. That way I can discriminate out most of the shallow trash. The 10 nuggets were all to deep for the Equinox to detect until some of the material was removed. Then it becomes a pin pointer so the holes do not need to be so big for the GPZ 7000 coil.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mn90403 said:

What were your other setting?  (Still a low threshold?)

The other settings are mostly the default settings except the Threshold is set at 1. This area was well hunted with a GPZ 7000 and a Gold Monster. So seven of these nuggets were barely detected with the 7000. I tried different settings on the threshold on some of them. It just caused a lot of noise and the small nuggets were more difficult to hear with the noise. 

• Thanks 1

I was 'struggling' with the smoothness on my last hunt as well.  It was not really possible to make it completely smooth with audio smoothing off and hy/normal.  I stuck with it off although I did 'test' the audio.  My threshold was up at about 25 and it was really difficult to hear the one little nugget I did find.

9 hours ago, davsgold said:

did you try and download the "find points" once I have downloaded the find points and tracks and or waypoints I clear the geostore and everything is back to zero.

Maybe your 50 lost find points were still hiding in there somewhere? and after adding some more on your trip it filled up the remaining spots

cheers dave

Yes I tried that. My mistake was not transferring the Find Points to the Exchange2 program before loading the software fix into the GPZ 7000. 

The GPZ 7000 manual states that the GPS limits are 100 Find Points, 100 Way Points and 10 GEO Hunts. So I will store the Find Points in the Exchange2 program in three files; California, Nevada and Arizona. Then load the detector with the appropriate state Find Points prior to leaving home.

Have a good day,
Chet

11 hours ago, Chet said:

So I will store the Find Points in the Exchange2 program in three files; California, Nevada and Arizona. Then load the detector with the appropriate state Find Points prior to leaving home.

Have a good day,
Chet

Chet,

Due to Minelab not providing enough on board memory for our plentiful gold finds and you introducing me to Gaia, I have been storing all find points, way points and other points of interest in Gaia since my phone accompanies me while detecting.  This allows me to have all points of interest available to me at all times including tracks. 
Also, I can see the screen on my phone much easier than the 7000 screen.

Brian. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Chet said:

I hunt with the Equinox 800 with the small coil in my left hand and the GPZ 7000 in my right hand

Can I have your workout program please?

• Haha 1

Flak,

We need to ask him what he uses for a pick?  (Both hands are full!)  🙃

On 7/24/2020 at 10:24 PM, Chet said:

In the trashy areas I hunt with the Equinox 800 with the small coil in my left hand and the GPZ 7000 in my right hand

Pretty cool, Chet, and the pick? A three-armed man has a definite advantage in the filed  😉

But congrats to your finds! I was at Malakoff diggins yesterday. Amazing site to see the largest hydraulic mine filed in CA, but hunting is mostly off-limits. Iowa Hill is another place I like to go but driving up the narrow canyon road from Mineral bar is suicidal. Bur every time I risk my life doing that I am rewarded. With two arms only though unfortunately.. 🙂

• Like 1

I have two favorite picks. One is a 3 pounder and the other a five pounder. Either one is carried on a padded military belt. The pick holder is a Drill Pouch from Home Depot. It is attached to the belt with a 10/32 screw, fender washers and locknut. It swivels and allows the pick handle to be slid into the large opening without looking. 

The five pounder is often carried in my left hand when hunting without the Equinox in areas with little trash. Both picks have rare earth magnets attached so they can pick up much of the trash.

The key to carrying heavy picks and heavy water loads is the padded belt. Wear it tight so that the load is on the hips. The shoulder straps are loose and only needed for the Hip Stick and Bungee cord attached on top of the shoulder. Having the top of the Hip Stick at top of shoulder height prevents pulling down on the shoulder.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NcStar-CVBAB2939T-TAN-Military-MOLLE-Padded-Contoured-Battle-Belt-w-Pistol-Belt/202863959802

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Condor-215-Tactical-MOLLE-PALS-H-Harness-Suspenders-for-241-Gen-II-Battle-Belt/233531915902?var=533171366300

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-Pocket-Drill-Holster-GP-45854N13/204853194

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chet said:

I have two favorite picks. One is a 3 pounder and the other a five pounder. Either one is carried on a padded military belt. The pick holder is a Drill Pouch from Home Depot. It is attached to the belt with a 10/32 screw, fender washers and locknut. It swivels and allows the pick handle to be slid into the large opening without looking. 

The five pounder is often carried in my left hand when hunting without the Equinox in areas with little trash. Both picks have rare earth magnets attached so they can pick up much of the trash.

The key to carrying heavy picks and heavy water loads is the padded belt. Wear it tight so that the load is on the hips. The shoulder straps are loose and only needed for the Hip Stick and Bungee cord attached on top of the shoulder. Having the top of the Hip Stick at top of shoulder height prevents pulling down on the shoulder.

Cool, thanks Chet I will check it out. I use the Camelbak Ambush for the hipstick attachment and have a gun belt that I use as my utility belt. I have a lot of stuff on it (GPS+holster, digging tool pouch, apex pick and holster, W12, SP01,..). Hence, I need a belt that I can attach alot of things on it (via belt loops). I use the swing arm for the GPZ, so the heavy pick is mostly in the holster. Hence, the belt tends to slip down over time so every now and then I have to pull it back up which can be annoying. I don't want to use shoulder straps to keep the belt up since I already have my Camelbak and it would be in my way. Overall, it all works out for me, but suiting up can take a while. I wonder what others have as their favorite set up with all the gear needed. Obviously, the simpler the better, but there is just alot of things you need when wondering away from the car. At other times, I just have my GM in the hand with the scoop in my pocket and small pick. That's it. My preferred gear at >100 deg F.

• Like 1