After a few outings of only digging trash, this week I got my first coin. A 1948 wheat penny, still needs some cleaning to determine if there is a mint mark. I was only able to determine what the penny was when I first dug it out of a creek, it's almost impossible to tell what it is in the picture. This was also my first water dig and only a few feet from the shore. The penny was in the same hole as an old ray-o-vac C battery and some rusty nails.

20200721_105035.jpg

20200721_170206.jpg

• Like 7

Good to see at least a wheatie instead of a zinc penny, good start.

If you have a local park or school yard you may want to do some coin shooting. Will get you up to speed on target recognition as there are more targets to go through. Use a hand digger or small trowel on cut lawns to minimize any marks.

• Like 1

Good job for your first hunt finding that penny, you will learn the unit the more you use it and improve your skills as you go along.

Keep up the good work and good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 1

Congrats on that first coin! 

My first was only a few months ago - it's a great feeling!  Like bigtim said, keep looking around that area; there may be silver!  I found my first Merc dime just a few feet from where I found my first wheatie.

Good luck on your next hunt!

Cleaned up nicely and good luck on your next hunt.

What ?  Your first coin was a wheatie ??  You cheated !   Your  first coin is supposed to be a memorial.  So that's not fair.  Go do the right thing by re-burying it , and go find a memorial clad first !   Thankyou  🙂

• Like 1

Great job on the wheatie, Just remember the more you look ,the more you find. I can tell you that you will always remember that first coin. Glad your finding stuff and we are all excited to see the next bunch of coins. Don't forget the trash, I like to validate that all of us dig the beloved aluminium and iron. And for GB's sake I will include Zincoln's, It's his favorite coin!!! 😂