Natural Green Jade With Gold

Hi Clay, Thanks for the info, i'll bet your mom had a chance to see a lot of nice jade and gems back in the 70's and prices were a bit different back then.

i asked for some of the rough material hopefully my friend will be able to bring some when he comes over around the end of the month. then i can see/show what the rough stuff looks like before being worked. this material doesn't look treated and shows the scratches from very fine sand paper polishing on both the stone and metallic areas, but i'll find out more soon.

as far as the concerns your moms friend had about treated material, in China every valuable (desirable) jade, gem, lake rock and everything else is also faked, copied and simulated in one way or another and many of the fakes are really good, so its difficult to know if her concerns were about that piece or all pieces of that type. Knowing the studio this jade came from it is difficult to imagine they would bother to carve any stone not of high quality or treated in some way as to risk their reputation.

here are two other jade rings the pink stone is Dushan Yu (Yu, means jade in Chinese), Yu can also mean fish or octopus, my wifes Chinese first name is Yu, so the carver made her the octopus ring for her birthday as a gift. the skull ring is nephrite i think.

post-618-0-15810600-1446883488_thumb.jpg

post-618-0-12806100-1446883500_thumb.jpg

post-618-0-89675200-1446883508_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

thanks for sharing the pics, very interesting stuff.

• 1 month later...

Well... it took a little longer than I thought it would to get some of this jade the snake carving was made from and this little chunk of rock had to change hands a bunch of times on it journey from China, but it's finally here.

it is a nice piece of dark green Jade from Xinjiang the area in China with the most desirable jade, lots of jade claims to be from Xinjiang but is usually from someplace else. The gold jade as I was told it is called actually contains no gold... I had it XRF tested and exactly as Steve and Reno Chris said (no surprises here, these two know their stuff) this is a form of pyrite that tested 99% iron with trace amounts of silver, palladium and some other elements. 

The carving we have from this jade is very stable so far and has not discolored as of yet, perhaps this has to do with the combination of trace elements combined with the iron, more time will tell for sure.

That is some top notch material. I would love to make some jewelry with it. If you could ever lead me to a source, I would be indebted. Thanks for sharing.

El Dorado, PM me your mailing address and I will send you this piece of jade to play with, you should be able to get some nice cav's out of this chunk.

clark

• Like 1

whoops again, it's been a while guess i should have reread the whole post and took whats left of my brain off auto pilot. Sorru Root, but being called Reno Chris can only be a compliment anyways, however credit where credit is due... Root definitely knows his stuff.