Natural Green Jade With Gold

Clark,  Thank you very much, this piece is now sitting on my workbench. I polished up one face and I must say, it is as spectacular as I hoped it would be.  Next trip to town and I will take this to a partner who has an XRF testing machine and find out what is the makeup of the golden color material.  Most likely it s a pyrite, but it does not look like any I have seen......

Steve, fantastic and i am relieved that you like the jade, i was afraid perhaps id built it up to much and you would be disappointed somehow in the way it looks. Have fun and show us pictures whenever you decide to make something with it.

I took it into a shop I deal with today and had it put on thier XRF  test rig.  The inclusions are 99.75% iron...... pyrite for sure.  I am going to have a wait and see if the polished surface I made shows oxidation before I work it. It sure polished up to a fantastic surface.........

I don't know how long it takes pyrite to oxidize, but these two carvings must be around 3 months from when they were finished and the surface has not changed yet.

Here are two more rings carved in black nephrite, spider and a bear.

post-618-0-02482400-1452649406_thumb.jpe

post-618-0-57304700-1452649428_thumb.jpe

post-618-0-50868300-1452649451_thumb.jpe

post-618-0-27314400-1452649468_thumb.jpe

I took it into a shop I deal with today and had it put on thier XRF  test rig.  The inclusions are 99.75% iron...... pyrite for sure.  I am going to have a wait and see if the polished surface I made shows oxidation before I work it. It sure polished up to a fantastic surface.........

Are they 99.75% certain that it's iron? Or is the material 99.75% iron?

The reason I ask is Pyrite runs about 47% iron and 53% sulfur. I'm sure there's some variation in that ratio but 99.75% iron wouldn't form a pyrite.

It's nice material and the piece 1515art gave you is particularly suited to jewelry. I'm eager to see the final result.

Thanks for sharing 1515art your generosity is inspiring and I'm sure Steve will do a beautiful job. Good stone has always been a fascination for me. I never tire of seeing what will be revealed by the saw and the wheel.

Barry

Hi Barry, thank you and I'm excited to see what Steve comes up with also, I really love his work it's "feichang piaoliang" Chinese for  very beautiful work. 

I took it to a local pawn shop and the xrf machine they used had a door, they put the stone inside and it was connected to a computer the readout on the display screen was iron in the 99% range with trace other elements.

• Like 1

It was me that figured pyrite, so, maybe it's iron,but the golden color makes it confusing. Maybe the XRF machine does not have sulphur in it's database

• Like 2

Sulphur detection is probably the major commercial use for XRF. Fuels, chemicals and food suppliers use them extensively. That being said the machines they use now are very programmable so it could easily be that the explanation for no Sulphur was that it wasn't tested for. Good call.

• 4 months later...

Clark, I finally got around to cabbing some of this beautiful material. Clark, PM your address and I will send a nice big cab to you

IMG_6327.JPG

IMG_6324.JPG

• Like 4