Forrest Fenn Treasure Was Found In Wyoming

I for one hope that it was all fake. Because if it really was in Wyoming and I ignored this whole treasure hunt entirely as a waste of time, I'll never forgive myself if it was real. :laugh:

Some of those larger nuggets are quite unique and easy to identify. Even if the supposed discoverer wants to remain anonymous, he needs to convert the gold to money or he hasn't found anything. So if those nuggets are sold without melting down, it would be interesting to see who the seller is and if they are related to Fenn somehow.

In fact, short of melting down, I'm not sure how the finder would convert any of this to money without being identified, it's all pretty unique stuff and the market for it is not large.

I wonder who he bought those nuggets from to begin with and if any of them were detected in the US.

treasure.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Chase it was a big write up on what’s called The Guardian.

I assume this is the article you refer to:  https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/16/buried-treasure-forrest-fenn-rockies

I just read it.  I guess 'rest in peace' is something some people choose not to respect.  Is The Guardian the British equivalent to USA's National Enquirer?  If that article qualifies as journalism with integrity this world is even worse off than I thought.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I assume this is the article you refer to:  https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/16/buried-treasure-forrest-fenn-rockies

I just read it.  I guess 'rest in peace' is something some people choose not to respect.  Is The Guardian the British equivalent to USA's National Enquirer?  If that article qualifies as journalism with integrity this world is even worse off than I thought.

It is considered a tabloid news source.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Glenn in CO said:

Here is a view on the Forrest Fenn treasure from a lawyer who also metal detects. His name is Steve Lehto and has some entertaining and informative views and opinions on just about everything (empahsis mine)

https://youtu.be/5LxipSblIjo

Wow, this self-proclaimed expert knows about as much about the Fenn Treasure as my cats.  He rips Fenn for publishing a book he makes money off of, and then rips him for not making money off of revealing the location.

I guess Steve Lehto is an expert on making money.  So maybe those criticisms hold up.

This argument that goes like "all they have to do to prove the treasure existed is ______________" doesn't hold water.  No matter how you fill in the blank, there are people who won't accept it.  They'll want more, and more, and more, and....

• Like 2

I can tell you where this is all going. The people who lost a family member hunting for this will now sue the estate of Fenn . Especially if it can be proved that the treasure never was .

I don’t know why it is but before a guy pass he was a worthless SOB but after he comes a saint. The more the money involved the more to saint hood he comes.

I’ve always said if I get killed out there doing what I want so be it .

So many was out there on adventure and living a dream for a treasure be real are not . They have stories to tell that will last them a lifetime.

I say they got their monies worth in the dream. You couldn’t ask for more.

Chuck 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Especially if it can be proved that the treasure never was .

Lol. That's not something anyone can likely easily, if ever, prove in a court of law...as opposed to the opposite.

Fenn's mistake was that he never insisted that the finder come forward and reveal the find and where it was found.  That should have been the price of admission.  But there would also be no way for Forrest to enforce that rule and would make it more likely that someone who found the treasure would not even inform Fenn (which is probably something Fenn couldn't stomach).

As far as those who lost their lives - I have sympathy for them and their loved ones but they should also realize that greed and poor decision making (or destructive behavior patterns) are a detrimental combination that can't be blamed on anyone but the individual making those choices (and it was a choice not a forced decison).  A little common sense, preparation, and self awareness make every single one of those situations preventable based on what I have read about those situations.  If they simply asked themselves whether an 80 year old man carrying a 20 lb chest could do what I am about to do now?" and answered correctly "No, I suppise not", then 5 people may not have put themselves in the jeopardy that cost them their lives.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Fenn's mistake was that he never insisted that the finder come forward and reveal the find and where it was found.  That should have been the price of admission.  But there would also be no way for Forrest to enforce that rule....

He possibly could have set up some kind of trust/escrow with the treasure in it and a 'key' at the location site which could not be hacked/duplicated.  Then the finder (if s/he wanted the loot, anyway) would have to turn over the key.  In fact that is effectively what Byron Preiss did with his hidden caches (see The Secret).  But that's not as historic/realistic compared to typical treasure troves.  (Preiss was from the civilized East Coast while Fenn from the Wild Wild West.  :biggrin:)

21 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

If they simply asked themselves whether an 80 year old man carrying a 40 lb chest...

Apparently Fenn claimed to have made two trips to deposit and secure the treasure.  Presumably one to install the empty chest and the other to fill it.  That doesn't negate your comparison of "would an 80 year old man have done what I'm doing?" point, however.

According to Fenn, his goal was to get people outside, into nature.  That was accomplished.  But ironically the true lesson (hopefully it will be proven true if something goes to court) is that inviduals need to take responsibity for their own actions.  That should be obvious, but clearly it's not to some.  And to add further to the irony, that is relevant even if the treasure was a hoax!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ridge Runner said:

Oh well that treasured dream is gone but I can still go buy me a lottery ticket.

And if you get in a car wreck on the way to the convenience store, you and/or your heirs can blame the government for enticing you to turn a true asset of $1 into an expected asset of $0.50!

• Haha 1