Forrest Fenn Treasure Was Found In Wyoming

1 minute ago, GB_Amateur said:

Apparently Fenn claimed to have made two trips to deposit and secure the treasure.  Presumably one to install the empty chest and the other to fill it.  That doesn't negate your comparison of "would an 80 year old man have done what I'm doing?" point, however.

The chest itself weighed 20 lbs from what I have read, I revised my post.

GB

In my case you are totally wrong.

A country and western singer by the name of Roy Clark had a song he’d sing Called Thank God and Greyhound she’s gone .. But in my case he’s gone.

Chuck 

PS  My wife would kill me if she knew I was putting out this bull.

My nephew spent two seasons trying to find that treasure.

He saw some beautiful places he otherwise never would have seen, and it got him motivated to do something outside of what he normally would have done.

Regardless of what happens to the find/if the find was real, etc., it generated a ton of interest and a sense of adventure for many people.

As for those that died, that's truly sad, as it is when anyone dies in the pursuit of anything they take a keen interest in.

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

The latest.....

Man Damages Yellowstone Cemetery Hunting for Forrest Fenn Treasure

“A Utah man accused of digging in Yellowstone National Park while looking for the Forrest Fenn treasure faces two federal charges, prosecutors said. The treasure, a chest containing jewelry and gems, was hidden by an art collector a decade ago, with seekers trying to decipher clues left in a book he wrote before it was found in June.”

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, jasong said:

Looks like the finder was ID'ed in a lawsuit, and it was all real as Fenn had stated.

Just saw this in the local Wyoming paper.

Here's a detailed article about the finder (this was linked in the newspaper article Jason linked):

https://www.outsideonline.com/2419429/forrest-fenn-treasure-jack-stuef

Even better, an account written by the finder (a professional journalist) previously published online anonymously (linked in the outsideonline article):

https://thefinder.medium.com/a-remembrance-of-forrest-fenn-1be2a8646ff2

Lawsuits?  Now all those irrational people who blame Fenn for the deaths of searchers will have a field day going after the treasure finder.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 11 months later...

I don’t believe at any point I made a bad decision, said Landis....

When Lantis reached the base of Mount Holmes and decided to call it a day, he opted not to return the way he came, afraid of running into bears. So he chose to leave the trail and head back via an unmarked route.  (I guess bears just stick to the human trails and wouldn't dare bushwack -- too dangerous.)  :laugh:

The ranger spoke with Lantis several times over the phone, guiding him through the “extremely rugged country … heavily populated with mountain lions, bears, and wolves” and rarely visited by park rangers(Strike that last conclusion in previous paragraph.)

Might want to rethink that "didn't make a bad decision" part....  Such hubris.  Often admitting mistakes in front of a judge will lead to leniency.  I'm surprised he got off for only ~$2900 given it was a helicopter rescue.

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...

A 32-year-old medical student from Michigan, Jonathan “Jack” Stuef, finally cracked the code, uncovering the treasure in a still-undisclosed location in Wyoming. Stuef is reportedly considering auctioning off the chest’s contents.  (emphasis mine)

Gonna have to wait for this famous part, apparently.