Forrest Fenn Treasure Was Found In Wyoming

Wow, the treasure was better than I thought it was. Lucky finder indeed. Sad though the outcome that befell some of the seekers I read about a while ago.

I buried a cache of relics about 12 months ago, stuff that its pointless in keeping to oneself. Coins, buckles, musket balls, broaches all sorts of stuff iv found since starting detecting. I have not told anyone where it might be but one day someone will find it all and go "huh, what!?" Did the same with about 30 old bottles and jars, didnt bury those of course just hid them in the bush. Can't take it with you so pass it on I reckon and make someone's day one day. 👍

• Like 8

I myself put a large bag of wheat’s back in circulation some years ago and never looked at the dates.

Yet even today I get excited when I find one.

Chuck 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I myself put a large bag of wheat’s back in circulation some years ago and never looked at the dates.

Yet even today I get excited when I find one.

Chuck 

Good one. Iv thought, "how many will pass over it as junk" I don't care as long as it one day makes someone's day. It will for sure as relics in our Goldfields are getting rarer and rarer. Cheers mate 👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gold Ryder said:

All seems fishy

From the linked article:

To this day, conspiracy theories abound online about how the chest was discovered.

Sounds like you have company.  Heritage Auctions is legit, BTW.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't know, I'd assume this was real. I never paid much attention to this treasure hunt until after it was found here in my home state, and I read the poem closely afterwards and kinda slapped my forehead duh. I think some of the clues make it pretty obvious if you already know it's in Wyoming, at least the general location the treasure was at as there aren't a lot of other options given some of the clues.

I wish I had taken it more seriously prior it to being found. If it's were I think it was, it was a place I had been near before doing some general prospecting anyways, probably went right past this thing at one point, while thinking it was a waste of time haha.

35 minutes ago, jasong said:

...Pretty obvious if you already know it's in Wyoming, at least the general location the treasure was at as there aren't a lot of other options given some of the clues....

Well, the last clues (AFAIK) Fenn gave about its location were a minimum altitude (don't remember the number but easy to find online) and that it was in the backbone of the Rockies:  {New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana}.   Many people all along thought it might be in Yellowstone NP given that he was known to be fond of that area when visiting while growing up.

You probably read/heard that one of the (many) searchers who contacted him privately told him where they were looking and turns out Fenn later said (still well before the treasure was recovered) that they someone was within a stone's throw.  BUT he never told that person this, just said something like (paraphrased) "someone who contacted me was in the right spot...".  I bet that person is really in regret now.

Oh I didn't know he gave out additional clues too? I did a quick search to see what the chatter was on location and it looks like people are confident it was in Yellowstone?

That's not where I guessed it was. There are some clues that sure made a lot of sense to me from other places I was familiar with. If the finder by some slim chance is a forum member I'd love to email him a circle on a map, or rather a line, and see if I'm right because I was pretty sure I could get within a mile or so. But hmm, maybe not.