Forrest Fenn Treasure Was Found In Wyoming

13 minutes ago, jasong said:

I did a quick search to see what the chatter was on location and it looks like people are confident it was in Yellowstone?

I haven't been keeping up since the ridiculous lawsuit was filed, but here's a fairly recent article which gives more details.  But I have to quote something there because it should tickle the funnybone of everyone on this site (even the conspiracy theorists):

In November 2020, five months after the chest was found, MeatEater podcast guest and journalist Benjamin Wallace published an article in New York Magazine that followed a group of the treasure’s most feverish hunters. They too were certain the chest was hidden in Yellowstone National Park and even employed a dog that could sniff precious metals buried up to 40 feet underground.

Once they searched that location and had a positive hit from their treasure-hunting dog, they determined they found where the chest used to sit.

🤣

• Haha 4

Man, people believe in anything it seems... :smile:

I don't know, I'm guessing the line in his poem that lead everyone to believe it was in Yellowstone is probably the same line that led me to believe it was somewhere else. But it's not really obvious unless you grew up as kid here where they made you memorize certain things in elementary school and take school trips to certain places other than Yellowstone, and so it was the first thing I thought of...

--> Begin it where warm waters halt. 

Is actually a pretty specific clue in terms of location if not taken so literally, and combined with other clues seems to narrow the area down to an area quite small. I haven't researched or looked for his other clues though, so maybe I'm missing something.

• Like 1

So do you guys reckon it was all real, legit, the treasure and final find?

I can only go by stuff I read and hear of here. 

What's the general consensus, real or fake?

From the things I've read and TV show (Expedition Unknown with Josh Gates) interview and written interviews, Fenn was consistent from day 1.  He gave the reasons he hid the treasure, what it contained, and refused to tell anyone where it was, not even his family.  When some people took the voluntary risk of going to dangerous places and then died, and their families played results ("if it weren't for Fenn he'd be alive...") BS, and then even law enforcement requested he figure a way to end the quest, he refused.  When reminded he was old and may die before it was found and that he should tell someone he refused.

Fenn spent a life of adventure, some in the outdoors, with a profession of finding, collecting, buying and selling antiques and collectibles.  He had a brush with death (cancer) which apparently gave him not only a reminder of the zest for life but also to share it with others by providing them with an incentive to get outdoors and enjoy more than just within four walls.  Did he seek/enjoy fame?  Probably.  Should we burn him (in effigy) at the stake for that?

The conspiracy theorists are calling him a liar and a cheater, simple as that.  I can speculate on their motivation but there are probably many reasons, and I don't really give a rat's a__ since they are typically the kind of people who only listen to someone who goes along with their fabricated ideas and any evidence (what many call 'facts') against their theories will just be labeled more lies and fakes.

• Like 4

Kudos to Forest Fenn, the guy seems to get almost no credit for doing something pretty cool but I think it was a great idea and wish I woulda taken it more seriously when it was still running.

I'm going to search for the "blaze" next summer after the snow melts if I'm out in the area I think it might have been anyways. Just out of nothing but idle curiosity now, even if the treasure is gone. I'll post a picture here if I find it. 😄

• Like 4

Jason, once the finder had narrowed the general area, it took almost a month of ground searching for the guy to actually discover where it was. You might be able to find the general area but it seems like it’s going to be very difficult to find the actual spot.

Fenn apparently told the Yellowstone National Park Superintendent at the time around when it was found where it was and asked if it was OK to disclose the location, or if it was too sensitive an area. They both agreed that the area would be trampled and disturbed if people found out so he and the finder are not disclosing it.

Anyways, you might want to take that to mind if you do find it, and good luck!

22 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I haven't been keeping up since the ridiculous lawsuit was filed, but here's a fairly recent article which gives more details.  But I have to quote something there because it should tickle the funnybone of everyone on this site (even the conspiracy theorists):

In November 2020, five months after the chest was found, MeatEater podcast guest and journalist Benjamin Wallace published an article in New York Magazine that followed a group of the treasure’s most feverish hunters. They too were certain the chest was hidden in Yellowstone National Park and even employed a dog that could sniff precious metals buried up to 40 feet underground.

Once they searched that location and had a positive hit from their treasure-hunting dog, they determined they found where the chest used to sit.

🤣

After reading your quote,I looked up articles about treasure hunting dogs, and found a legit one about dogs that could sniff out different types of metal ore deposits, apparently those that have distinct sulfur or other strong odiferous chemicals associated with them. Saying a dog can find processed gold is hogwash, it could only be something associated with other chemicals that a dog can scent.

On the other hand, a dog could be trained to find a wooden box or other items that was handled by humans. That would be a possibility….

30 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Jason, once the finder had narrowed the general area, it took almost a month of ground searching for the guy to actually discover where it was. You might be able to find the general area but it seems like it’s going to be very difficult to find the actual spot.

Fenn apparently told the Yellowstone National Park Superintendent at the time around when it was found where it was and asked if it was OK to disclose the location, or if it was too sensitive an area. They both agreed that the area would be trampled and disturbed if people found out so he and the finder are not disclosing it.

Anyways, you might want to take that to mind if you do find it, and good luck!

Oh hmm, so it definitely was in Yellowstone then? Because the area I thought it was in definitely isn't there. Oh well, will be a nice walk around for my dog if nothing else. I was just going to GPS grid the area brute force style, same as I do with prospecting, as it sure seems to narrow it down to an area I could explore in 1 day since it's remote but can basically drive close to it with my truck. So, that means I'm almost surely 99% wrong. 😄

I never even considered Yellowstone because they have pretty rigid rules about altering stuff such as leaving a blaze, but I guess who knows what that blaze is. But you aren't allowed to even do stuff like pick up a bunch of rocks and move them around into a sign, as it's considered vandalism there. I would also question wether one is allowed to just leave stuff behind too, even if it's a treasure chest. They have pretty strict rules on "pack it in, pack it out", wether it's a candy wrapper or a $500 tent, or whatever. But maybe it's considered a sort of geocache, and maybe they allow that sort of thing? No idea.

• Like 1

Just now, jasong said:

Oh hmm, so it definitely was in Yellowstone then? Because the area I thought it was in definitely isn't there. Oh well, will be a nice walk around for my dog if nothing else. I was just going to GPS grid the area brute force style, same as I do with prospecting, as it sure seems to narrow it down to an area I could explore in 1 day since it's remote but can basically drive close to it with my truck. So, that means I'm almost surely 99% wrong. 😄

I never even considered Yellowstone because they have pretty rigid rules about altering stuff such as leaving a blaze, but I guess who knows what that blaze is. But you aren't allowed to even do stuff like pick up a bunch of rocks and move them around into a sign, as it's considered vandalism there. I would also question wether one is allowed to just leave stuff behind too, even if it's a treasure chest. They have pretty strict rules on "pack it, pack it out", wether it's a candy wrapper or a $500 tent, or whatever. 

Yeah I am in agreement with you, there are rules against leaving GPS treasure troves and stuff like that in the NP’s. I guess since he did it already they couldn’t do much.  But yeah it looked like several articles I read pointed out that it was in the Greater Yellowstone area. But hey, what do they know - maybe you’re right!