Forrest Fenn Treasure Was Found In Wyoming

2 hours ago, jasong said:

I never even considered Yellowstone because they have pretty rigid rules about altering stuff such as leaving a blaze, but I guess who knows what that blaze is.

2 hours ago, GotAU? said:

Yeah I am in agreement with you, there are rules against leaving GPS treasure troves and stuff like that in the NP’s. I guess since he did it already they couldn’t do much.

The National Park Service may have taken into consideration that Fenn contacted them to ask permission about revealing the location after that fact, knowing that it could damage the park he so loved.  (Well, I think he did that but AFAIK he never stated such.  And I guess he could/should have thought about the potential damage before hiding it there.)  Would prosecuting such a high profile figure with its associated well known and popular story been accepted or turn into a public relations disaster?  And in the process of prosecuting would they have to prove he hid it there by providing evidence for all the world to see the exact location?  Seems like NPS had everything to lose and nothing to gain.  Again, that's assuming Fenn told them it was hidden in the park and I'm not sure of the accuracy of that conversation.

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

The National Park Service may have taken into consideration that Fenn contacted them to ask permission about revealing the location after that fact, knowing that it could damage the park he so loved.  (Well, I think he did that but AFAIK he never stated such.  And I guess he could/should have thought about the potential damage before hiding it there.)  Would prosecuting such a high profile figure with its associated well known and popular story been accepted or turn into a public relations disaster?  And in the process of prosecuting would they have to prove he hid it there by providing evidence for all the world to see the exact location?  Seems like NPS had everything to lose and nothing to gain.  Again, that's assuming Fenn told them it was hidden in the park and I'm not sure of the accuracy of that conversation.

I got the information about Fenn telling the park chief ranger where he hid it from this Outside Magazine article. It is likely a legitimate source:

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/exploration-survival/where-forrest-fenn-treasure-yellowstone/

And @jasong, I stand corrected. According to the affidavit submitted by the National Park Service, Fenn told the employee that  the treasure was near the park on department of interior land. It was two months after the treasure was found, and he wanted to find out if it was OK to divulge the location.

Jason, if you’re interested in looking for this thing, you should get a copy of the affidavit from the court or park service, you can probably submit a FOIA records request to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, I'm not that crazy about it. I just read that poem and thought I had a good idea of where it might be, so figured I'd go try to find that blaze when I'm in the area next anyways. If it isn't that spot i already know then I don't care enough to look further. 

But hmm, yeah my spot is on public land kinda near the park, not in the park though. So now I'm kinda wondering if there is more than a 1% chance.  🙂

I wish the finder would at least publish a pic or description of what this blaze is, so people could go out and search for it and post proof of finding. I mean it could be anything from an FF carved into a tree or an old burned log, would be hard to prove you found the right thing with the chest gone.

3 hours ago, jasong said:

Oh, I'm not that crazy about it. I just read that poem and thought I had a good idea of where it might be, so figured I'd go try to find that blaze when I'm in the area next anyways. If it isn't that spot i already know then I don't care enough to look further. 

But hmm, yeah my spot is on public land kinda near the park, not in the park though. So now I'm kinda wondering if there is more than a 1% chance.  🙂

I wish the finder would at least publish a pic or description of what this blaze is, so people could go out and search for it and post proof of finding. I mean it could be anything from an FF carved into a tree or an old burned log, would be hard to prove you found the right thing with the chest gone.

There are photos somewhere on the Internet of the chest in situ in the ground, and I believe it does show some of the trees nearby…. Google!