I’m Thinking Of Starting Detecting

TreasureHunter5

I would ask you to take a little break from being discouraged. A couple of things i'll let you know about me. I have a full time job and lots of interests. There are times I can not or do not go detecting for quite some time, but when I do its very cathartic. I enjoy finding the good with the bad. Everyone on this site finds hundreds of pounds of trash before finding something really awesome. I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure most here at DP do not detect full time, but I'm 100% sure we all do it for the same reason. It's the feeling you get when you find something you have never found before, or a piece of history thats been in the ground for a century and your the first person to reach down and hold it in your hand and wonder how it got there. (Food for thought) Try asking some of your friends who you share the other hobbies with if they have or know someone who has a property you can hunt. That way you open the door to finding some better spots. More spots = more chances of finding better things. Networking in life can produce some really great results, wether it be higher paying job, leads on some of your other endeavers or just meeting new people who you enjoy. I always some how manage to mix my hobbies to make each one better, I hope you can do the same. Take your time and focus on the the good not the bad.

• Like 6

I and my wife have been metal detecting and prospecting since the mid-1970's. During that time we have experienced frustration with the hobby especially when first starting out. I believe everyone in this hobby has experienced this one time or another. You begin to question do I have the best or right detector? Why do my friends, club members or other people always find better coins, relics, etc. than I do. You can make the mistake sometimes by not giving enough time with the current detector you have and learning what the functions do and what the best settings to use. This hobby takes time to learn how to get the right settings for your detector and how to use it, research for better productive sites and eventually your confidence level will increase to where you are enjoying metal detecting. Listen to podcasts, read forums or other sources of information on metal detecting and you better finds will increase. If you are a newbie or seasoned detectorist there is always something new to learn about this hobby and that's just one of the many things I enjoy about this hobby. I hope you stick with it.

• Like 8