Help Find Stolen Nuggets In Helena

HELENA — The Prospector Shop in Helena is asking for the community to help to find some stolen gold nuggets.

https://www.ktvh.com/news/helena-prospectors-shop-asking-for-help-finding-5-figures-worth-of-gold-nuggets

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

What a shame.

I'm sorry even looking at the owner's face explaining those nuggets rarity.

On the other hand, I must admit that property doesn't look like Fort Knox. To go there again and take the rest too, can be a joke🤐.

If I'd be so blessed to own stuff like that, my life's first task should be to sleep near nuggets with a big gun ready to make fire.

Two bad things against the original owner now are the rising price and...You can however melt it to cash in soon.

Very sad times we are in today! With Covid, crime on the uptick, and gold on the rise! It's making for a bad combination!  I'm just glad that the poor guy didn't get injured, or worse, in the process!👎👍

Skull said just about all of it.

Keep your powder dry and your nuggets near.

Many years ago a local Mining Supply shop had a break-in with a much better outcome.

The shop was full of expensive dredges and metal detectors. The glass counter had gold and antique guns on display.

The owner had an alarm service that informed the police of the break-in. They responded too late to catch the thieves. They ask the owner for an estimate of what was missing and a value for their report.

He looked around and to his amazement the only thing missing was a large galvanized tub full of sand and water salted with gold for customers to learn how to pan for gold.

They followed a trail of spilled water down the street to a room in a cheap hotel and arrested two drunks panning for gold.  

Have a good day,
Chet

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sad story indeed and unfortunatally it will probably be melted down and sold-Years ago I had about a pound stolen out of my house in a display cabinet while I was sleeping and never got it back:angry:-My gold now sits in a safe and Now with all the BS going on its LOCK and LOAD all the way Mike C... Mike C...:ph34r:

• Like 1

Wow, that is too bad! I can't say I'm shocked however.

Bud Guthrie was featured in some of the original Fisher Gold Bug ads back around 1990. He was not a young guy even then so he must be up in years now. I stopped by his shop almost 30 years ago, which at that time was in a trailer outside Helena. The gold from the Gold Bug ad plus lots more was all on display in a big case that was basically a sheet of plywood with glass over it. I tried to strike up a conversation with Bud, telling him I was a fellow nugget hunter from Alaska, but he was not in a mood to chat that day I guess. I remember thinking at the time that it was kind of crazy displaying that much gold in a trailer kind of off by itself. He is lucky he made it all these years without this happening.

I got my lesson in my first year of business in 1976. My business partner and I were still trusting teenagers, and had just opened our new little store. We got a gold nugget in trade, like a half ounce I think. We put it in the showcase for sale. Anchorage in 1976 - we did not even think to lock the showcase. Somebody managed to grab the nugget when we were not looking. Our first theft as far as I know. The showcases got locked, and we decided gold was a good way to attract thieves. So while we were perfectly positioned to sell gold, we declined to do it all these years, except for bags of gold dirt, and some nuggets sold on our website. But nothing on display.

That caution carried over into my personal life. I know way to many miners and prospectors who do not trust banks, and as a result their hard won gold was stolen from their houses. Even that in some pretty serious safes. All my gold and other metal detecting valuables like rings go into a safe deposit box at Wells Fargo. I tell people that, and I still get comments that you can't trust banks. No, you can't trust your friends, neighbors, or family when it comes to gold. A very disappointing number of these thefts are by people known to the person who got ripped off.

Here is the Gold Bug ad and Bud... and a lot of the gold that unfortunately has now gone missing. According to this post on Rob's Forum the large specimen was later acid treated.

fisher-gold-bug-bud-guthrie-ad.jpg

fisher-gold-bug-ad-bud-guthrie-montana-gold.jpg

• Like 3

I've never been in this shop, but I drive by it on the way to a GPAA claim I go to occasionally.  Makes me sad.

5 hours ago, Chet said:

They followed a trail of spilled water down the street to a room in a cheap hotel and arrested two drunks panning for gold.

my kind of gold story...