Some Thoughts On Batteries

I hope this topic hasn't already been covered and I'm not writing it in the wrong place.
Recently, based on my lack of knowledge in this sector, I have however noticed large differences in actual life, not only because of battery chemistry ...
I mean something about the use of power itself in using the tool.
Thinking of a mobile phone, the standby time is merely relative to the battery capacity, as is the duration in call or video call, much less long ...
So every time a detector is used in an area where there are several signals and we are busy digging or at least hearing many of them, the battery duration is more affected and reduced...
This for me, as an inexperienced, means not being able to have a clear measure of the actual duration of the battery pack ... You can never know regardless of how many signals will pass below the coil ...
So I then discovered the natural drop in voltage, added to that of absorption in the most arduous use ...
And what about threshold instability and false signals if, for example, a pulse is not properly regulated and a too low delay makes it continuously sound for nothing by activating the retuning?
At this point I have the impression that even with higher capacities, the voltage drop is the most difficult factor to defeat, even before the capacity ....
I am facing the insertion of bms modules in these days and in the future I could add step up or step down modules if necessary, but first I would like to understand to what extent it is possible to delay the cut off, if not eliminating some form of protection that these boards cut away leaving a lot of useful voltage.
Unprotected batteries can have a bad end if it is lithium, so there is a compromise between safety and durability ...
I repeat again ... I am not an expert and anyone who can add his knowledge on the subject, do it without brakes because I am well open to constructive technical comments, or even comic and bad ...

Well I’m pretty much the expert on all things detectorwise.... just ask me...

Most people here would agree on that statement🤠

i think Steve can roll you into an exhaustive list of posts dealing with batteries.

See that was easy 🤓

• Haha 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, vanursepaul said:

Well I’m pretty much the expert on all things detectorwise.... just ask me...

Most people here would agree on that statement🤠

i think Steve can roll you into an exhaustive list of posts dealing with batteries.

See that was easy 🤓

Appreciated Paul!

I found minutes ago something about voltage drop and transistors...Actually my headache is growing, especially to understand the wiring/soldering stage of all stuff togheter...

I really don't know from where to start...

As for now, I can only master how to make a 4S1P pack with 18650 cells and to add the bms module for balanced recharge..My intention is to understand how can I extend the cut off time, considering a good safety margin for the cells.

I'm probably writing a stupid thing, cause I feel the voltage drop is capacity involved and so reduced and prolonged in time by more AMps...

It is probably a soap bubble that I'm making giant..

There are some neat protective caps from Keystone Electronics to put on your reserve 9 volt batteries available.  The full box of batteries we buy at Home Depot are unprotected and as soon as a few are taken out they get all jumbled up and can be short circuited against each other.  I use these, although they don't stay on real well.  So I tape them also before I put them in my detecting satchel. 

IMG_0305.JPG

• Like 4

On 7/25/2020 at 1:44 AM, Skullgolddiver said:

Appreciated Paul!

Don’t listen to Paul. He was jerking your chain. Which is why you don’t listen to Paul!

I can’t help much with the battery question. I prefer manufacturers just get it right instead of us having to fix their shortcomings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I prefer manufacturers just get it right

I know Steve...This will be the best thing we can expect by factories...Unluckily I found few options unless to make one by myself...Not only with WHite's...Now I can even resuscitate two drowned ctx lithium batteries...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vanursepaul said:

What exactly are you wanting to power?

I'm realizing a simple 4s1p battery pack for my Tdi BH...

I'm wondering if there's a way to use it until the minimum voltage available is approaching.

I bought 20Ah rated Bms modules to safely handle the 10Ah peak of Samsung 35E cells.

After I saw the specs, for me the ideal cut off was at 10.5/11V...it seems that those modules are cutting off power way before this voltage it is reached.

Now, I think with 3450mAh this should not be a relevant problem..

But I want to make something with a steady voltage during all Hunting time...