Equinox Software Update 3.0...

GKman

https://www.minelab.com/equinox-software-update-3-0

This should be fun to try out this weekend..  Curious what the "various stability enhancements" are...

A new Single Frequency of 4 kHz has been added to the existing 5, 10, 15, 20 and 40 kHz options. This new 4 kHz frequency enhances the detection of large deep targets, particularly those found in parts of Asia. As a result of optimising for these conditions, this new frequency may respond differently for users compared to the other single frequencies. 

All other single and multi-frequency settings are unchanged in their performance. 

In addition to the 4 kHz upgrade feature, various stability enhancements have been included.

1EC8C6CC-86D5-4EFD-8CCC-DC8262543D9A.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

I am wondering if the new 4khz frequency is factored into multi-frequency mode. The wording is a bit confusing about the update but it also mentions it being a single frequency addition so maybe it is not used in multi mode at all.

Yeah "stability enhancements" is really vague and pretty much standard minelab practice. Like.. WHAT needed stabilizing?  It's annoying to see such general statements without a little bit more detail. Did they stabilize the ID numbers, the backlight,  noise cancel routine, iron bias, just WHAT did they "stabilize and enhance"?  It is frustrating but Minelab is not the only company that does this sort of thing.

Have downloaded the latest update,out most of tomorrow as the crops have been cut on my local permission/s,so its time too start some serious detecting time going into autumn/winter these are the peak months for us.

Will be detecting right next door to the great roman road up north the A1,so will see if this update makes any difference.

• Like 2

Good thing we have this forum and cooperative posters like you.  If it were up to me finding out directly from Minelab (I did register my warranty) I'd be SOL.  Maybe they'd be more helpful in dealing with me if I ratted out the other detector companies on one of their surveys.

Great find!  I assume you were using Multi-Frequency, not the new 4 kHz single frequency.  This is worth posting on the coins and relics sub-forum and revealing a few more details, like the kind of site you were hunting, your settings, how deep it was, what digital TID it showed, etc.  18th Century silver, and a classic!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RobNC said:

I am wondering if the new 4khz frequency is factored into multi-frequency mode. The wording is a bit confusing about the update but it also mentions it being a single frequency addition so maybe it is not used in multi mode at all.

Yeah "stability enhancements" is really vague and pretty much standard minelab practice. Like.. WHAT needed stabilizing?  It's annoying to see such general statements without a little bit more detail. Did they stabilize the ID numbers, the backlight,  noise cancel routine, iron bias, just WHAT did they "stabilize and enhance"?  It is frustrating but Minelab is not the only company that does this sort of thing.

All other single and multi-frequency settings are unchanged in their performance. 

The single frequency options have nothing to do with the multifrequency options. They are simply different things. They can change one, or the other, or both.

I would not have thought the difference between 4 kHz and 5 kHz would be enough to even bother over. I suspect that since 5 kHz was an EMI magnet that this may have something to do with that. Less EMI = more stability = more depth

Its nice to know that three years on they are still tweaking and improving the software. I doubt anyone was really expecting anything more at this point. I know I was not. Probably a free offshoot of ongoing development on the next Multi-IQ detector release.

• Like 8

I'll have my update installed before the end of the day. Just a reminder for people - you always have the ability to roll any updates back to any earlier versions.

Funny how some people are resistant to free updates. Yet they are waiting to buy the next detector release.... which is just a bundle of updates. :smile:

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

• The title was changed to Equinox Software Update 3.0...
8 hours ago, GKman said:

https://www.minelab.com/equinox-software-update-3-0

This should be fun to try out this weekend..  Curious what the "various stability enhancements" are...

A new Single Frequency of 4 kHz has been added to the existing 5, 10, 15, 20 and 40 kHz options. This new 4 kHz frequency enhances the detection of large deep targets, particularly those found in parts of Asia. As a result of optimising for these conditions, this new frequency may respond differently for users compared to the other single frequencies. 

All other single and multi-frequency settings are unchanged in their performance. 

In addition to the 4 kHz upgrade feature, various stability enhancements have been included.

1EC8C6CC-86D5-4EFD-8CCC-DC8262543D9A.jpeg

Weird.  Wonder just what are these deep, large targets in Asia that are invisible at 5 khz but not at 4 khz.  Glad we are still getting updates 2.5 years into the original release, scratching my head this is really at the top of the list - it was not even on my personal Equinox enhancement radar screen.  Having a frequency shift option (+/- 1 khz across the board) would have made more sense if EMI was the real driver to 4 khz.  And then again the all encompassing "stability enhancements" - that is clear as mud but hopefully useful.  Really would like to have seen a host of other enhancements such as improved pinpointing "stability" [maybe part of the stability enhancements perhaps - we'll see], perhaps a VCO like pitch tone on the non-gold modes, back-and-forth mode navigation (instead of the one-way merry-go-round), future proofing the bluetooth interface since 3rd-party APTX-LL hardware seems to be doing the opposite of "catching on" in the marketplace, and a true "raw" unprocessed all-metal mode would be cool.  The other stuff (more sophisticated target ID and discrimination and other FBS goodies) I can wait for the Equinox/CTX "1040" iteration.  Oh, and I hope they fixed that dreaded nickel on top of a dime issue.  That should have been at the top of their list...:rolleyes:    BTW - how about some smaller form factor elliptical coils, Minelab, if you really want to help out your Equinox users...tired of being jealous of the kid running around here with the Vanquis 540 and that cool 8 inch elliptical.

Finally, cool down vest dude in the promo pic, quit admiring yourself in the truck windshield and start swinging that Equinox, ya prima donna slacker!  Since you don't have a digger, looks like you are going to have to get those french manicured nails dirty.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Awesome, Updated the second I saw it

Well, since you're half a world ahead of us, are you going to have a chance to test it?  Have you gotten a decent break in the weather?