Equinox Software Update 3.0...

GKman

short, to the point video about 4kHz vs. 5kHz on a buried silver target.

Jeff

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Wow, I'll have to re-watch the video to see if I miss something. But at first glance that was a heck of a difference...

• Like 1

English subtitles will be included here in the evening....

Unfortunately it appears you can't rely on the Target ID at extreme depth which is no surprise.

We do know that big iron "wraps around" and will show a 39-40 target ID. So.. the questions is how deep are you willing to dig and possibly hit big iron and not a hoard at all? Maybe I'm wrong but I do have 39 and 40 notched OUT on my EQ800. Perhaps I'm missing treasure chests and large silver hoards. All I ever hit with it were deep nails with those ID's.

Decisions, Decisions!

I installed mine yesterday and took it for a short test drive at the beach last night. It worked just fine. I did seem more stable at the higher sensitivity settings, and the I.D. numbers didn't bounce as much either. Still too early to make any conclusions though. More time in the field is needed.

• Like 3

People beg for years for CTX updates and complain mightily that almost none ever happened. We get Equinox updates, and everyone questions why. Minelab really can’t win. I see now why other companies just save all the updates up and sell them to you in the next model. This could have been a new feature for sale in the next model instead of an optional freebie. Very unlike a Minelab when you think about it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

Do large deep targets behave differently in Asia....?

:laugh:

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

I didn't get to test it out today, it's on my Nox but I was too tired to take it out for a coin hunt after my prospecting mission.

Well, OK, but we're going to have to replace you with an Australian detectorist, I guess.  (Did you say you were born in Australia?  Then I mean a non-defector.)  We on this side of the International Date Line need a reliable (far) Eastern Hemisphere tester/troubleshooter so we have fresh news when we get up in the morning.

• Haha 1

On 7/25/2020 at 1:41 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I would not have thought the difference between 4 kHz and 5 kHz would be enough to even bother over. I suspect that since 5 kHz was an EMI magnet that this may have something to do with that. Less EMI = more stability = more depth

23 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Well, now if you hit that frequency button it's just one more of way too many pushes to get back to where you were! I wish it went both directions.

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

People beg for years for CTX updates and complain mightily that almost none ever happened. We get Equinox updates, and everyone questions why. Minelab really can’t win. I see now why other companies just save all the updates up and sell them to you in the next model. This could have been a new feature for sale in the next model instead of an optional freebie. Very unlike a Minelab when you think about it.

I don't think the questions you and the rest of us were asking means that Minelab can't win when it comes to updates. 

Weren't we all just scratching our heads on why THIS PARTICULAR UPDATE bubbled to the top of Minelab's Equinox change list and the even more obscure reference to the reason for adding it in the change log?  That just seems like healthy discourse and precisely what this forum is all about.  Believe me, this is not about Minelab not being able to win or catch a break.  Minelab is winning big time.  Maybe there is just some jealousy on this board because the Asain Horde Hunters appear to have Minelab's ear at the moment. :wink:  But seriously, if anything, the questions are simply a product of ML's stilted way of communicating detector technology to their customers, often times generating more questions than answers in the process.  Plus it is always a joy to poke fun at ML's marketing material.

Anyway, I don't think ML cares whether people are asking why, they would only care (perhaps) if people start complaining about the update, and so far, I am not seeing that.  It has merely taken a few videos to emerge to see that 4 khz indeed seems to be a different beast than 5 khz with respect to both stability and signal clarity.  Who would have thought that?  That does add another tool in the toolkit that hadn't seemed to be obviously missing  before.  A pleasant surprise, frankly.  Now that we can see it in action.

I have a conspiracy theory, frankly.  I suspect that ML is rolling out the 4 khz change as a stealth way to get some real world field testing on new signal processing or noise canceling algorithms, perhaps for incorporation into a future machine.  The only thing that is strange about it is that they are not implementing it as a Multi IQ Mode change.  Perhaps so they can limit the other Multi IQ processing variables such as iron bias.  There definitely appears to be a difference in how the signal is processed when 4 khz is selected.

The other good news is that the folks with 600's can now say they have 4 single frequency options!  Good thing ML did not introduce 25 khz as the new frequency, otherwise the 600 folks would be out of luck, I suppose.

With regards to Equinox updates in general, I think people have little to complain about.  The F2 iron bias change last year was brilliant in both execution and results.  The way ML distributes the update software package is great too, including the option to roll back to any previous change and you also can't complain about the approximate annual frequency of the updates.  Bravo.

No, i wouldn't conflate "everyone" asking why with "everyone" complaining about the update, and that is a good thing IMO.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

While there  at it add 3kz. too since that is the best freq. for  American dimes.

Really?  What is the basis for that statement?  I could see that for big silver but it seems counter-intuitive for smaller silver, especially edge on.  Would like to know more about your experiences on this.  Thanks.

I think I mentioned this previously, this could be implemented without adding yet another frequency selection by enabling a capability to do frequency shifting around each individual center frequency.  Perhaps a future upgrade.