Equinox Software Update 3.0...

GKman

Another thing just crossed my mind. Perhaps the real differences between the 800 and 600 is more the control pod housing difference (1 switch and button for user profile shortcut button). It sure seems like it would be more cost effective to created 1 circuit board with the only difference being the switch mentioned and control housing with that button. It probably has a code that "locks" it to being a 600 vs taking 800 code. Just a thought.

Sort of like how in the past some video cards could be flashed with another bios from a totally different model that boosted performance. In those cases the boards were identical, with the firmware being the limiting factor on extra speeds  along with heatsinks being added.

So Phrunt, are you saying when you buy a new 800 you have to download the updated software you want and it is not already installed.  Thanks, GaryC/Oregon Coast

I guess because I have read the Minelab blurb 10 times and need special education. Also coupled with not having my detector here. 

My question is:  Does the download run in "Multi" or is it only single selectable?

Thanks Dave  

7 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I have a conspiracy theory, frankly.  I suspect that ML is rolling out the 4 khz change as a stealth way to get some real world field testing on new signal processing or noise canceling algorithms, perhaps for incorporation into a future machine.  The only thing that is strange about it is that they are not implementing it as a Multi IQ Mode change.  Perhaps so they can limit the other Multi IQ processing variables such as iron bias.  There definitely appears to be a difference in how the signal is processed when 4 khz is selected.

Bingo, Chase.  This is the first thing I thought of, as well...

My guess is that this is something that will be utilized in some way, on the Equinox 1000/CTX 4040...

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

My theory is the updates are not specific to Equinox, but are accidental offshoots of work being done on the next version of Multi-IQ. So the benefits are aimed more at the target feature list of that future detector, and are perhaps hints of where that development is heading.

And, it sounds like our fearless leader feels the same way...

Steve

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

I realize I can restore back to a previous update version if I wish on my old 800, assuming I installed all of them (my machine was one of the first ones out).  If I go out and buy a new 800 today and it has all the updates in it now, will I be able to pick and choose which update I want to use or is it installed permanently?  Thanks, GaryC/Oregon Coast

The updates are not cumulative in the sense you seem to think. They do not all reside on your machine. Each one is self contained, replacing the others. All the versions are in the installer, which you use to update or roll back. But at any one time you only have one version on your machine.

Each update is cumulative in the sense that all prior updates are rolled into each as a package, but you can’t separate any part of them out.

I hope that makes sense.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, midalake said:

I guess because I have read the Minelab blurb 10 times and need special education. Also coupled with not having my detector here. 

My question is:  Does the download run in "Multi" or is it only single selectable?

Thanks Dave  

The update adds a 4 kHz single frequency mode. The other modes are unchanged. Says so right in the update.

• Like 2

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Actually this could be an off shoot.  By working on new project.  But the offshoot may not be the exact freq used on newer project.   We may see a lower freq used too in the next smf released detector.  

One can almost presume the next project released if more costly than EQx 800 will have some differences.

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Ok, who has any use experience with the update?

Other than adding a frequency I don't need I don't expect there to be a 'big' difference in performance at the user level but I hope someone proves me wrong.

I had one of the original 800s and the off/on switch broke.  The new one they sent as a replacement had the latest software with the F2 on it when I got it.  I don't use either F ... haha

Somewhere at a Minelab a bean counter is proudly showing your post to the boss. “See, I told you these updates are a waste of resources on people who’ve already spent the money to buy the machine. These guys don’t appreciate the expense or effort on our part, so why do it? Just save this stuff as part of the sales pitch for the next model.”

You might think I’m joking. I’m not.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Thanks Steve and Phrunt for the info.  My old brain has a hard time with some of this stuff.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Somewhere at a Minelab a bean counter is proudly showing your post to the boss. “See, I told you these updates are a waste of resources on people who’ve already spent the money to buy the machine. These guys don’t appreciate the expense or effort on our part, so why do it? Just save this stuff as part of the sales pitch for the next model.”

You might think I’m joking. I’m not.

I just want some updates from users.  If they tell me they notice a difference I'll put it on now.  If not I'll put it on later.

I haven't used single frequency no matter what the version of the software.  I don't really expect to use the 4 unless someone tells me more things about it.  I'm a multi guy when I get the chance to get out.

• Like 1