Equinox Software Update 3.0...

GKman

7 minutes ago, phrunt said:

They say in the update notes that multi and other single frequencies remain unchanged.

All other single and multi-frequency settings are unchanged in their performance. 

Exactly, it says “unchanged in their performance” not unchanged in structure or composition. 🤔🤔

• Confused 1

I often take things literally.  This image shows the Multi IQ Simultaneous Multi Frequency Range extending below 5 kHz and beyond 40 kHz........... So, once again my answer is NO to the question posed earlier about 4 kHz just being a standalone frequency addition and YES it is already included in Multi IQ.  Auto and manual noise cancel can adjust any standalone transmit frequency or multi transmit frequency setting 9 increments below or above the chosen frequency setting.

Simplified-Curves-Carton-EN-1200px.png

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I haven't used single frequency no matter what the version of the software.

the upgrade also states that it has stability improvements…that is sort of important too.

• Like 1

First impression, before updating I tried the 2 and 1 euro coins which tend to have an unstable vdi in beach multi, after the update the 2 euros no longer dance between 15 and 16 and 1 euro has the most stable vdi.
I don't know if this depends on the 4 khz or other adjustments, but in fact the stability has increased.
I will try to do the same tests on the beach tomorrow.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I often take things literally.  This image shows the Multi IQ Simultaneous Multi Frequency Range extending beyond 5 kHz and beyond 40 kHz........... So, once again my answer is NO to the question posed earlier about 4 kHz just being a standalone frequency addition and YES it is already included in Multi IQ

Simplified-Curves-Carton-EN-1200px.png

This diagram has been the focus of much debate regarding the true nature of Multi IQ and its relationship with the single frequency modes.  I prefer to look at the two separately.  Since ML isn't giving specifics and third party measurements show differing combinations of discrete frequencies being transmitted (none line up with the 5 "base" frequencies BTW - but they line up perfectly when in single frequency mode - INDEPENDENT of Noise Cancel setting BTW), I don't think we can ever make definitive statements one way or the other.  I refer back to a post by Steve that sums this up pretty succinctly here the last time I was involved in a rehash of this tiresome debate.

So while I agree that Multi IQ encompasses a broad spectrum of transmitted frequencies perhaps less than 5 khz and greater than 40 khz, I am taking ML at their word and my feeling is this is just a discrete, independent implementation of new single frequency in Equinox (4 khz) that has no impact on the existing Multi IQ spectrum and the presence of (or lack of) a 4 khz component in Multi IQ, though possible, really has nothing to do with what ML is trying to accomplish here.  

One odd side note - the Minelab Safety Instruction brochure that comes in the Vanquish box shows that the detector radio frequency specification for both the Vanquish (all models) and the Equinox (both models) to be 5 to 143 khz.  I wonder if the 4 khz addition invalidates the original FCC Part 15C (and the international standards) certification...I'll let ML's engineers and lawyers untangle that one.  LOL.

I guess when it comes right down to it, neither the original question nor the answer matter, frankly.  It is what it is.  I can't change what Multi IQ is - and whether I knew 4 khz was part of it or not would not change how I use Multi IQ and the only thing that matters is that 4 khz is a new single frequency setting that I have access too.

• Like 1

Chase, I simply posed a question to get the opinion of others. I drew no conclusion only  posed a question. You have my most humble apologies for making a post that you find tiresome and of no consequence. I should have known better. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Smithobx said:

Chase, I simply posed a question to get the opinion of others. I drew no conclusion only  posed a question. You have my most humble apologies for making a post that you find tiresome and of no consequence. I should have known better. 

I think you asked a perfectly logical and valid question. I had similar thoughts. I am just reading the 3.0 Upgrade information and Minelab's own Multi IQ publications from a different perspective. Nothing wrong with any interpretation since that is all we can really do, since Minelab for good reasons is not going to release the information we would need to move from an interpretation to actual rock solid fact. For instance, I mentioned the 19 transmit frequency adjustments that happen during noise cancelling. I don't know the size of those adjustments so I can only assume that each adjustment is between 50 and 100 Hz.

Jeff

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Smithobx said:

I like a passive aggressive retort as much as the next guy.

And I was just simply stating my opinion.  Your question is not tiresome - the debate on what frequencies comprise Multi IQ will rage on as long as ML never gives us a straight answer.  As a result, after nearly 3 years of that question repeatedly being raised, all I am saying is that it can't be answered by those not in the know on what Multi IQ really is.  i am personally tired of debating and speculating on it, but that doesn't mean others can't enjoy the back and forth and of course you do not need my permission to do so, so by all means have at it.  I apologize that you were offended by my take on the issue.

• Like 2

Maybe our Aussie and Kiwi posters will be able to get to the bottom of that question soon. I have no idea!

Jeff