Equinox Software Update 3.0...

GKman

2 minutes ago, Raphis said:

Yes, I was “married” to my SE for 13 years...Haha!! However, my beloved machine will be sitting in its detecting case in the garage, and won’t be coming along with me in the car anymore.....The Nox is just amazing me everyday I’m using it!

I was averaging 500 silver coinage a year for a good 9 years....my best year was 794 (2015), which blew me away because I started pounding/pillaging my locale back in 2007 with my SE.

Having a explorer  for a back up  is something you did not imagine back in it's hey day.When I got 247 I was not  nearly as good as I am  now.To get your  record many  years after shows how  good a hunter you are.If I could go  back in time with the Nox to 2000 with my knowledge an skill I would get a 1000 for a year and you probably 2000 .We would have a  lot of coins   waiting for us that the Nox would  feast on.

8 hours ago, Raphis said:

Iron Bias doesn’t seem to function as well in 4 kHz mode...

From page 52 of the User Guide (what I like to call 'operating manual', but Minelab has its own terminology):

37503555_Screenshotat2020-07-29074202.png.de2c15e5849ce694b35d8ad068c300c5.png

5 hours ago, Raphis said:

I was averaging 500 silver coinage a year for a good 9 years....my best year was 794 (2015), which blew me away because I started pounding/pillaging my locale back in 2007 with my SE.

By 'silver coinage' are you including modern (clad) coins??

BTW, welcome, Dan.  If you like discussion of technical topics (with some ligther discussions thrown in for entertainment 😁) then you've come to the right place.

14 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Garrett Apex is coming soon to dealers near all of us American/Canadian folks. To keep us from defecting, Minelab gave us a bit of an unexpected present. 

Thanks, Minelab:cool:

Just to say that Apex does not have 4 khz 😉   

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

From page 52 of the User Guide (what I like to call 'operating manual', but Minelab has its own terminology):

37503555_Screenshotat2020-07-29074202.png.de2c15e5849ce694b35d8ad068c300c5.png

By 'silver coinage' are you including modern (clad) coins??

BTW, welcome, Dan.  If you like discussion of technical topics (with some ligther discussions thrown in for entertainment 😁) then you've come to the right place.

Thank you, GB, for informing me about IB not being active in single freq modes....I do recall reading about that a while back, but somehow that limitation slipped through my long term memory 🤓

when I say “silver coinage”, I mean all US dimes, quarters, Halfs from 1964 and earlier (90% silver coinage), along with wartime nickels (1942-1945), in addition to any foreign silver coinage I may find....I don’t count sterling jewelry in my yearly silver coin counts......my wheat penny count is around 30 thousand coins over the past 10 years...I had a long running avg of 3-4 wheat pennies per silver coin found....I never posted my “clad” coinage on the forums...just the “Oldies”.....but the Coinstar machines know me well..I can’t even factor how much clad coinage I have cashed into those machines...(I choose Amazon gift cards instead of cash vouchers to avoid paying the 10-12% fee). I do find a lot of clad quarters and dimes....I dig all quarter signals, but my dime/penny signals have to be a certain “Oldie depth” for me to recover....there’s just too many in our parks here to dig all of those signals

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Raphis said:

when I say “silver coinage”, I mean all US dimes, quarters, Halfs from 1964 and earlier (90% silver coinage)

12 hours ago, Raphis said:

I was averaging 500 silver coinage a year for a good 9 years....my best year was 794 (2015)

That is just mind boggling.  Forget the silver count/value and sell your time machine, because it appears you've taken a 21st Century detector back to the 1970's.  I'm humbled with my modest  finds, but that won't stop me from grinding away.  😉

55 minutes ago, Raphis said:

.my wheat penny count is around 30 thousand coins over the past 10 years...

In other units, that's $300 or 600 bank rolls.  Have you ever sorted by date & mintmark.  I wonder if you can (or already have) filled the 1909 Whitman folder.  I think Gerry in Idaho accomplished this feat with his MD finds.  Again, to someone who's been coin collecting for 60 years that is mind boggling....

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

In other units, that's $300 or 600 bank rolls.  Have you ever sorted by date & mintmark.  I wonder if you can (or already have) filled the 1909 Whitman folder.  I think Gerry in Idaho accomplished this feat with his MD finds.  Again, to someone who's been coin collecting for 60 years that is mind boggling....

Here in CA, we’re blessed with many S mint coins...so I have found lots of S mint teens wheats....just last month, I found another 1909 S wheat.....I also have 5-6 vdb’s (also ‘08 S and ‘09 S Indian pennies), but the ‘09 S vdb penny still eludes me...that I know of lol...those zits on the early copper coins are more times than not in the places the mint mark and vdb Mark is located.

Not yet sure what to do with my wheat pennies...

• Like 2

Has anyone commented about cell phones and the need for the 4 kHz frequency?  Perhaps that is THE reason to get something other than 5 kHz?

1 hour ago, Raphis said:

Here in CA, we’re blessed with many S mint coins...so I have found lots of S mint teens wheats....just last month, I found another 1909 S wheat.....I also have 5-6 vdb’s (also ‘08 S and ‘09 S Indian pennies),....

If I found any penny with an -S mintmark from 1908 thru 1914 it would make my detecting year.  I realize you Western USA guys have a lot more -S coins in your ground than we in the Eastern 2/3's of the country do.  I've learned that over the last 5 years salivating over the coin finds others have posted.  Even the -D's are probably biased out your way, at least from the early days of the Denver mint before they started cranking them out in masses like Philadelphia has been doing forever.

Yes, our East coast has older coins than you out West.  Here in the Midwest we got nothin' besides corn.  😪

OK OK I'm going to update with this new version soon as I get time enough to fool with it.

I'm always willing to test things out. Unfortunately my free time is very limited and I'd rather be finding things than trying to figure out a new way of acting by my metal detector.

So far things seem positive, especially concerning the ID numbers, which is a welcome thing.

Had the Nox 800 in the saltwater today for 4 1/2 hours and I didn't see any difference in using different sensitivity settings. Still the same as before but one good thing... it still finds gold. A 10K ring and gold plated chain along with some coins and the usual junk. Bob

10 K w chain.jpeg

• Like 8