Equinox Software Update 3.0...

GKman

Hello, Tom and Steve!

Tom, you’ve already lost the shootout, because there’s no way possible you’d “spank” both Steve and I with our Nox’s! When Steve and I tell you the Nox is more proficient at finding deepies in trashy turf than an Explorer can, you better listen!  

I’d love to come up for a hunt with you, but I’m gonna stay put where I am right now...gonna ride out this pandemic surge and stay local.....no trips or staying with others for a while....Sorry Steve, the “OK Corral” shootout must be postponed...even though I don’t need any more time to tweak/fine tune my Nox any further 😆

In the meantime,  we most certainly can be involved in plenty of discussion based on our objective, learned detecting experiences spanning decades in CA. No conjecture...😉

.....and if I thought an Exp II would have given me an advantage over my SE Pro, I’d have swapped my blessed machine 12 years ago...I have never felt “short-handed”...I always feel I have the advantage on every hunt I’ve ever been on! 🤓

HH,

Dan 💪🏼💪🏼

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Raphis said:

..., but I’m gonna stay put where I am right now...gonna ride out this pandemic surge and stay local.....no trips or staying with others for a while....

Pandemic ?   Ah c'mon, is that the best excuse you can come up with ?  Tsk Tsk.   🤣

• Sad 1

Didn't I tell you this was gonna happen Dan? Tom found you.... It's all good though. LOL

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Happa54 said:

Didn't I tell you this was gonna happen Dan? Tom found you.... It's all good though. LOL

Dan - Raphis is a rock-star legend in CA md'ing circles.  He can not escape his groupies !  MMuuuhhhahahaha

Well I read through this entire thread. I have owned the Equinox since February 12th 2018, one of the first ones in the US, I was a CTX user for 5 years prior, but worked out a trade with my dealer for the Equinox, both 6 and 15" coils and WP headphones in preorder when I saw the Equinox debut at Detectival. Best decision detector wise I ever made, as Im a relic hunter and the CTX while a great machine, is just too slow to work well in heavy iron and mineralized soils, where I do my detecting. So anyway, rambling aside, I did the very first Equimox update reluctantly, but I wanted those on edge silver coins, the update was good, but it shifted the vdi numbers on civil war bullets slightly. I never did the 2nd update as bottle caps are not an issue for me.  The only thing I dislike about the Equinox is the pinpoiny feature, its the worst attempt at a detecror pinpointer I've ever seen, and I have owned many many detectors. I wish they would rework it in an update, maybe have it display in inches/centimeters the depth while in pinpoint mode and fix the issue where you move off target hit pinpoint, but it doesnt "take" and you have to repeat. I dont use pp often because it mostly sucks on the Nox. I rarely use single fx mode, but I do sometimes, so I think I will do this update. Wish they had gone witb 2.5khz instead of 4khz. Seems a small change fro. 5khz to 4khz, I have some detectorpro units that run at 2.5khz and those things are coin and ring vacuums. Even work well in salt water as a single fx machine. I guess I can roll back if I dont like this update. I just hate to discover I have some detriments with no real benefits to my type of detecting. Sidebar, on the Simplex, you have to have the latest update to use the new coils they came out with, and their new machines cant be rolled back to the original 2.68 version software as it bricks the new machines. Just an fyi, not saying the new Equinox's would suffer that fate, just an interesting (to me) anecdote. Thanks for reading all of this if you have lol. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bootyhunter said:

The only thing I dislike about the Equinox is the pinpoiny feature, its the worst attempt at a detecror pinpointer I've ever seen, and I have owned many many detectors. I wish they would rework it in an update, maybe have it display in inches/centimeters the depth while in pinpoint mode and fix the issue where you move off target hit pinpoint, but it doesnt "take" and you have to repeat.

Signal strength ("depth") would be a nice bonus, but just fixing the "take" (as you call it) when entering pinpoint would be huge.  It's sad that people's solution is to just not use pinpoint.  Sure, we could all drive manual transmissions, but why should we be forced to.  It's a bit ironic that the (arguably) best value in metal detectors has this annoying feature which many detectors, before and since, cheaper and more expensive have solved. 

The other thing that is sub-standard is the difficulty of accessing the 'profile' feature.  I was just thinking today that easy to access multiple custom (or standard, for that matter) settings would be so helpful.  As is stands, you get one, and you better be Houdini to be able to easily use it.  Or you can cycle through seven other standard settings.

I guess we can always find improvements we wish products had.  But when the state-of-the-art detector has deficiencies that competitors have had for years, some of those costing less than half the price....  I'm not giving ML a pass.

• Like 1

I managed to get out and play in the test garden for a bit. I found the 4khz to be impressive. It hit much better on some deep coins in my garden that 5khz and multi struggled with. My soil is pretty highly mineralised. I will be curious to see how it responds in and around iron.    Also want to test it with the 6" coil.

• Like 4

@mn90403

I just want some updates from users.  

Hi Mn, I noticed some definite differences in multi - which was not supposed to be affected y the v3 update. Specifically, in the solid tone that good coin type targets now have and how much more quiet (not as chatty) stable the machine runs (compared to a few days ago with same beach. Throwing down some of my finds on my beaches such as a silver ring, musket ball, simulated reale and bronze nail, they all seemed to ring more solidly. I did notice bottle caps also sound good and am working on a way to ID them with confidence.

Before, my 800 was not sounding definite even on clad at the beach. The v3 updated machine seems a lot more stable. I feel I can lower the SENS and still catch deeper targets and with 4kHz I have to. My last outing I hit a consistent "9" in one direction and pretty good with a cross swing. It turned out to be a very small bronze square forged nail. Depth has never worked consistently on my NOX. 

I found I can also use 4kHz at the beach in dry sand. It is a little squeaky but stable when you noice cancel and GB. I use tracking GB by the way.

Your beach is not my beach though. My area of Florida has beaches with lots of black sand and a mile away a beach with none. Another beach is loaded with old iron from a modern shipwreck and another is loaded with pull tabs and can slaw from the last renourishment effort.

I figure if I can find this small of a good metal target I can't miss the larger ones as long as I place the coil over it.

re CELL phones: Keep mine in my back pocket opposite the hand holding the detector. One thing I have noticed is wifi from beach front homes and resorts. So I turn off phone wifi. Again seems quieter after v3 update.

As always YMMV or as Colonel Dan says: this is just the view from my foxhole.

Good luck

nail - 1.jpeg

• Like 4

On 7/30/2020 at 8:04 PM, Tom_in_CA said:

Pandemic ?   Ah c'mon, is that the best excuse you can come up with ?  Tsk Tsk.   🤣

Good grief, they'll let anyone on here now days....

On 8/6/2020 at 5:21 PM, Bootyhunter said:

Well I read through this entire thread. I have owned the Equinox since February 12th 2018, one of the first ones in the US, I was a CTX user for 5 years prior, but worked out a trade with my dealer for the Equinox, both 6 and 15" coils and WP headphones in preorder when I saw the Equinox debut at Detectival. Best decision detector wise I ever made, as Im a relic hunter and the CTX while a great machine, is just too slow to work well in heavy iron and mineralized soils, where I do my detecting. So anyway, rambling aside, I did the very first Equimox update reluctantly, but I wanted those on edge silver coins, the update was good, but it shifted the vdi numbers on civil war bullets slightly. I never did the 2nd update as bottle caps are not an issue for me.  The only thing I dislike about the Equinox is the pinpoiny feature, its the worst attempt at a detecror pinpointer I've ever seen, and I have owned many many detectors. I wish they would rework it in an update, maybe have it display in inches/centimeters the depth while in pinpoint mode and fix the issue where you move off target hit pinpoint, but it doesnt "take" and you have to repeat. I dont use pp often because it mostly sucks on the Nox. I rarely use single fx mode, but I do sometimes, so I think I will do this update. Wish they had gone witb 2.5khz instead of 4khz. Seems a small change fro. 5khz to 4khz, I have some detectorpro units that run at 2.5khz and those things are coin and ring vacuums. Even work well in salt water as a single fx machine. I guess I can roll back if I dont like this update. I just hate to discover I have some detriments with no real benefits to my type of detecting. Sidebar, on the Simplex, you have to have the latest update to use the new coils they came out with, and their new machines cant be rolled back to the original 2.68 version software as it bricks the new machines. Just an fyi, not saying the new Equinox's would suffer that fate, just an interesting (to me) anecdote. Thanks for reading all of this if you have lol. 

I noticed a video on the new update from Gigmaster in Virginia that said you can’t roll back from 3.0. Said your stuck with it. True ???