Equinox Software Update 3.0...

GKman

ML updates the Update Utility along with the firmware so you have to load the update utility that is released with the new software.  The utility contains the new firmware along with all the other previous firmware releases to allow you to roll back if you don't like the newest firmware.  I am only familiar with the windows version of the updater, but I believe what I have written above applies to both the Windows and Mac versions of the updater.  HTH.

20 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Are you referring to Beach modes or do your observations include others (Park, Field, Gold)?

Sorry, I forgot to mention - mainly observed in beach1 multifrequency.

@DukeBoxer

Try to connect the detector to the computer while the detector is powered off. Start the update tool and then power on the detector.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DukeBoxer said:

Ok thanks for the replies. I'll try to find a windows computer and test it out on there and check back

Sinclair, I've tried every way to get the detector connected and nothing worked. Hopefully I can get it working soon

Make sure your charge pins are clean. I have had issues with the machine talking to the computer because of this.  Also another way to check is make sure your machine is taking a charge and then carefully go to your computer. 

I am betting it is a clean and connect properly to your pins! 

Yesterday the wind direction changed and took the water out, so I had the chance to swing a bit on the normally flooded black sand area. I've used beach1, sens 18-19, F2 4 - and again I had the feeling, the machine runs odd. From my remindings it normally runs dead quiet in that area, even with higher sens settings. Perhaps it's just my subjective feeling.. I have no realtime comparison and those conditions are very rare.. would be cool, if one could switch between firmware versions on the fly 😁

• Like 2

On 9/3/2020 at 7:17 AM, midalake said:

Make sure your charge pins are clean. I have had issues with the machine talking to the computer because of this.  Also another way to check is make sure your machine is taking a charge and then carefully go to your computer. 

I am betting it is a clean and connect properly to your pins! 

I got it updated today on a windows computer, I found a windows 8 laptop that a friend of ours had and when I connected the detector it recognized it immediately. But when I tried to update it failed a couple times and the dirty pins crossed my mind so I got a pencil eraser and cleaned the charger pins and the pins on the back of the detector and then it updated fine. So it was exactly that midalake, dirty pins. I'm guessing the Mac didn't see it because of the dirty pins plus the fact that I had to connect the detector to a USB hub and then connect that to the Mac's USB-C port since it only has those. Too many interfaces and dirty pins meant it didn't see it correctly. I'm still pushing for a Linux version of the update utility!

• Like 1

Just tried V3 myself for the first time. Not sure what to think of it. Did they make it more sensitive? Anyone got worse results in regards to EMI with it? I couldn't make it shut up all evening, it was chatting pretty much all the time, less so with coil closer to the ground, and very sparky on rust. I usually run it on 24 to max sensitivity no problem, but yesterday 19 was the highest I could go in the same area I checked dozen of times. At the same time, I picked few small shallow things, that I somehow skipped over and over, as they were right on the path I always take and check. Can't quite understand if I like it or not. Definitely different to V2!  

31 minutes ago, nordic said:

Just tried V3 myself for the first time. Not sure what to think of it. Did they make it more sensitive? Anyone got worse results in regards to EMI with it? I couldn't make it shut up all evening, it was chatting pretty much all the time, less so with coil closer to the ground. I usually run it on 24 to max sensitivity no problem, but yesterday 19 was the highest I could go in the same area I checked dozen of times.

Maybe it would help if you more thoroughly described the mode you were in and other relevant settings, specifically, whether or not you were running single frequency and what frequency, etc.  Did you try different modes, different frequencies, and different manual noise settings (800 only) before cranking on sensitivity to see if it was mode or frequency specific?  The only substantive change was adding 4.0 khz single frequency, nothing else was described other than the nebulous "various stability enhancements..."  Otherwise, ML states:

All other single and multi-frequency settings are unchanged in their performance. 

In addition to the 4 kHz upgrade feature, various stability enhancements have been included. 

Overall, other than the addition of 4 khz which appears to be more EMI immune than 5 khz or the other SFs, I hadn't personally really noticed any other performance or stability differences.  When it comes to the "intangible" feel for how it generally runs post-update the reactions are all over the map, indicative of nothing really changed but but people are more aware of how their machine is behaving and any difference that appears out of the ordinary is amplified and attributed to the software update (placebo effect).  Some people are reporting better behavior out of pinpoint mode - I personally am not seeing that, and again people have been all over the map on that wonky feature ever since ML started issuing updates.  EMI is highly variable even at a specific site - time of day (electrical load changes during the day, intermittent loads that are only turned on part time), humidiity, and the possibility of new sources can change what was typically an "EMI Quiet" site to a noise nightmare.  If anything, people have generally reported more stability vice less but that is still all subjective and anecdotal.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Overall, other than the addition of 4 khz which appears to be more EMI immune than 5 khz or the other SFs, I hadn't personally really noticed any other performance or stability differences.  When it comes to the "intangible" feel for how it generally runs post-update the reactions are all over the map, indicative of nothing really changed but but people are more aware of how their machine is behaving and any difference that appears out of the ordinary is amplified and attributed to the software update (placebo effect).

For the most part, what you say Chase is consistent with my thoughts and experience on the subject.  (You just have more guts to actually say it!)  However, there possibly is a coincidence of several posters-detectorists here using beach modes which might be the proverbial "stability enhancements" ML was referring to.  OTOH, anyone who takes their marketing comments lterally is treading on mushy ground, IMO.

The fortunate thing is that ML makes it easy to revert to a previous software version.  At least some have done that.  No one is forced to be part of the conforming herd, and that's particularly a good thing in this hobby/endeavor.  😁

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Maybe it would help if you more thoroughly described the mode you were in and other relevant settings, specifically, whether or not you were running single frequency and what frequency, etc. 

Of course. But I wasn't comparing different things, I always run in same modes and behaviour in my experience has changed. I usually detect in Park 2 or Field 1/2, multi, speed 3-4. I rarely use Noise Cancel as it is never an issue (I mean, I even run external gain amp without EMI issue), but had to try it few times, it didn't help to reduce EMI even with stock sensitivity 20. Field 1 was always very different to 2 - 1 being a good bit more cleaner/quieter, while Field 2 quite revealing and sparky, especially on rust. However, yesterday they performed pretty much identically - both sparky jumpy sharp. I don't use FE or F2 rejection (always 0, somehow I have no problem with iron), however F2 yesterday seemed unusable (way too sparky on every ferrous object and there is a lot of it there), while FE was more or less usual behaviour. The field with very porous soil (rain worms heaven) that I went to always used to GB to about 1, but it has a lot of coke in it, yesterday it balanced to 68!? Ah yes, the coil bump was very apparent too!

In my area, 5KHz always picks up lots of EMI, however 4KHz were quiet, nice. I only gave it a short run, the Nox was reacting to coke a lot in 4KHz, so I switched back to multi. I wonder if it didn't update correctly, I didn't expect to get such a different detector.