Equinox Software Update 3.0...

GKman

I hunted for about 4 hours today at a trash infested beach on a salt water bay. When running the coil in the salt water (no waves, just calm water in this instance) I usually have to use Beach 2 at no more than an 18-20 Sensitivity or it will chatter quite a bit. Today, with the 3.XX version, I could actually use Park 1 at 18 Sens with no chatter in the salt water. That's an improvement in my book. I find Beach 2 not to be as good with small gold/plat as the Park and Field modes, so, being able to use them in salt water would be a big plus. I'll see what it does in the actual surf in my next hunt, along with checking some of the other modes which I didn't do today. 

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

47 minutes ago, Raphis said:

Here’s the link...

https://www.minelab.com/usa/equinox-software-update-3-0

V3 is on Minelab’s website...

I’ve been running v3.0 since yesterday.  The Pinpoint functionality (low volume sometimes) still exists.  Everything else about the functionality, aside from 4 KHz single freq mode, feels the same as the earlier version.

4 kHz is definitely more EMI friendly (even at near max sens) for the areas I hunt....although the deeper target ID’s are a bit off (targets read higher) and Iron Bias doesn’t seem to function as well in 4 kHz mode...I typically hunt in IB F2-2, and I rarely dig beer bottle pop caps, but in 4 kHz mode, those pop caps hit strong in the mid 30’s....I will still hunt in Multi-freq, with sens at 22-24, so whenever I detect a deep iffy target in an area where the EMI won’t calm down, I’ll switch to the 4 kHz mode to get a better read on it...it will def help out in my decision making to dig or not dig.

Are you the silver coin  master that Tom from California talks about who uses a Explorer ?     

Hey Simon,

That buff guy was me!! (About 30 years ago)!!💪🤣👍👍

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

Are you the silver coin  master that Tom from California talks about who uses a Explorer ?     

You found me already ☺️

I just joined this forum after many years of being on a bunch of forums and posting my finds.

Tell Mr. Tom Tanner when you chat with him next that I’m on this forum now and I just purchased a Nox 800 a few weeks ago, and I am having a blast with this machine!!  I’ve already found 40 silver so far with my new Nox (at sites that I’ve hunted countless times in the past years with my Explorer SE)...Tell Tom I feel the Nox is a superior machine to my Explorer SE (He’ll probably cringe at that statement, but he’ll believe me...). Don’t get me wrong...I have found a mountain of silver, wheats, Injuns, etc with my Explorer SE pro....but I finally bit the bullet (after 13 years), and picked up a Nox!  I’m so satisfied with this machine!  It’s weighs nothing compared to my SE w/inline probe..I never thought I would say this, but the Nox is superior in depth at trashy sites (especially at sites with nasty EMI), and can locate deep targets co-located with iron better than my SE...I also enjoy hunting in all-metal now(couldn’t do that in conductive mode on my Explorer), no threshold, with Iron target volume set low.  I thought I would miss my Sunray In-line probe, but I don’t miss it one bit!

I won’t be posting any finds though...I was posting finds across 4 different forums for many years....I much prefer these types of discussions boards with a good mix of highly competent/knowledgeable treasure hunters, along with a good mix of hunters with a willingness to learn more and become better TH’ers!!

HH,

Dan (aka Raphis/CAPTNSE)

Welcome Dan👍👍

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Its only on the USA Site, the Australian site doesn't have it, very odd.. 

Garrett Apex is coming soon to dealers near all of us American/Canadian folks. To keep us from defecting, Minelab gave us a bit of an unexpected present. 

Thanks, Minelab:cool:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, cudamark said:

I hunted for about 4 hours today at a trash infested beach on a salt water bay. When running the coil in the salt water (no waves, just calm water in this instance) I usually have to use Beach 2 at no more than an 18-20 Sensitivity or it will chatter quite a bit. Today, with the 3.XX version, I could actually use Park 1 at 18 Sens with no chatter in the salt water. That's an improvement in my book. I find Beach 2 not to be as good with small gold/plat as the Park and Field modes, so, being able to use them in salt water would be a big plus. I'll see what it does in the actual surf in my next hunt, along with checking some of the other modes which I didn't do today. 

I found the same thing about Park 1 and the wet beach sand last night.  I was never able to get over the hum before.

Minelab's statement about various stability enhancements would mean they would have to admit they knew there were flaws.  The way they worded it just allows them to fix things without specifying the problem.  I just got their email too so now I know they have tweaked stuff I use.

In addition to the 4 kHz upgrade feature, various stability enhancements have been included. 

• Like 1

Dan , you are smart enough to know having both those machines is a plus.My  explorer friend loves his  Nox too  .I had a explorer but it died about 5 years ago and I found plenty of silver too. I did not  find as many as you did in a year though and I got it in Jan 2000.I did get over 500 one year  because of a coin spill of over 400 coins for me.247 is my record for regular drops.Had a lot of good  explorer  hunters around here who    vacumed      up many coins.I am shocked you don't miss the sun-ray probe.That thing was fun.

37 minutes ago, Raphis said:

Don’t get me wrong...I have found a mountain of silver, wheats, Injuns, etc with my Explorer SE pro....but I finally bit the bullet (after 13 years), and picked up a Nox!  I’m so satisfied with this machine!  

Dan,

I had an SE Pro before my 3030 and still believe it had some capabilities superior to it.  My wife used the SE Pro after I got the 3030 and really liked it.  She did drop it in the surf and it took about 2 years before it quit on us.

We have since bought a lightly used SE Pro but haven't brought it out yet.  I'm glad to know you think some Nox features are better.  I hope Minelabs new offerings remember the superior sounds of the SE Pro and the Explorer line.

Mitchel

29 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

Dan , you are smart enough to know having both those machines is a plus.My  explorer friend loves his  Nox too  .I had a explorer but it died about 5 years ago and I found plenty of silver too. I did not  find as many as you did in a year though and I got it in Jan 2000.I did get over 500 one year  because of a coin spill of over 400 coins for me.247 is my record for regular drops.Had a lot of good  explorer  hunters around here who    vacumed      up many coins.I am shocked you don't miss the sun-ray probe.That thing was fun.

Yes, I was “married” to my SE for 13 years...Haha!! However, my beloved machine will be sitting in its detecting case in the garage, and won’t be coming along with me in the car anymore.....The Nox is just amazing me everyday I’m using it! Sure, the inline probe was pretty nice!  I went through 6 of them over the 13 years....I bought a few new inline probes (probe only, no switch box) from Ralph about 7 years ago, when his stock was down to nothing..

I was averaging 500 silver coinage a year for a good 9 years....my best year was 794 (2015), which blew me away because I started pounding/pillaging my locale back in 2007 with my SE.

• Like 1