Equinox Software Update 3.0...

GKman

21 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Really?  What is the basis for that statement?  I could see that for big silver but it seems counter-intuitive for smaller silver, especially edge on.  Would like to know more about your experiences on this.  Thanks.

I think I mentioned this previously, this could be implemented without adding yet another frequency selection by enabling a capability to do frequency shifting around each individual center frequency.  Perhaps a future upgrade.

I think  George Payne said a American dime(flat)  hits best around 3 kz. I have used the  xterra with 3kz and it  hits good on dimes if there is not to much junk.

30 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Weren't we all just scratching our heads on why THIS PARTICULAR UPDATE bubbled to the top of Minelab's Equinox change list and the even more obscure reference to the reason for adding it in the change log?  That just seems like healthy discourse and precisely what this forum is all about.

Don't take it personal Hugh. It was not a comment aimed at you. Just a observation. As you say... what forums are for. :smile:

• Like 1

My theory is the updates are not specific to Equinox, but are accidental offshoots of work being done on the next version of Multi-IQ. So the benefits are aimed more at the target feature list of that future detector, and are perhaps hints of where that development is heading.

• Like 5

Frequency is only part of the equation, and it is more than just a type of metal that determines which frequency is best. Tiny silver items like thin cut silver coins react best at higher frequencies. In fact, I’d say based on my experience it’s more about the size of the target than what it is made of, though that is also important. Small targets regardless of material do better at higher frequencies, and large targets, regardless of material, do better at lower frequencies.

Look at this chart. Most people think in terms of iron, lead, gold, silver, aluminum, etc. But look again and you see it’s mostly arranged by size.

gold-jewelry-gold-nugget-metal-detector-target-id-scale.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Don't take it personal Hugh. It was not a comment aimed at you. Just a observation. As you say... what forums are for. :smile:

I wasn't taking it personal. Don't know if "everyone" else was, though.  :laugh:

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

My theory is the updates are not specific to Equinox, but are accidental offshoots of work being done on the next version of Multi-IQ. So the benefits are aimed more at the target feature list of that future detector, and are perhaps hints of where that development is heading.

Yep.  That's exactly what I was thinking too as I stated in my previous post.  Glad I am not the only one.  4 khz just seems to be behaving differently than the other single frequencies based especially on Iffy Signals' video.  I am going to try to give it a go in my test garden tonight.  

I realize I can restore back to a previous update version if I wish on my old 800, assuming I installed all of them (my machine was one of the first ones out).  If I go out and buy a new 800 today and it has all the updates in it now, will I be able to pick and choose which update I want to use or is it installed permanently?  Thanks, GaryC/Oregon Coast

Ok, who has any use experience with the update?

Other than adding a frequency I don't need I don't expect there to be a 'big' difference in performance at the user level but I hope someone proves me wrong.

I had one of the original 800s and the off/on switch broke.  The new one they sent as a replacement had the latest software with the F2 on it when I got it.  I don't use either F ... haha