Is Lesche The Best

Earlier this week I had my car 'pilfered' of some loose items in it.  It was probably done sometime early Sunday morning.  Nothing was broken on the car but who knows how they got in without setting off the alarm or perhaps it was just left open in the carport on an alley that gets a lot of scavengers walking through.  It has happened before.  The police have been notified. There was some change and sunglasses, reading glasses taken along with some keys (which have no value to them) which included  a disc lock on a garage door I rent.  I'll have to cut or grind it off somehow.  The door is aluminum and I can't cut the attachment off.  I guess I will follow this advice:

https://www.selfstoragetalk.com/forum/general-self-storage-forums/general-storage-chat/10594-cutting-disc-locks

So much for the first 'view' of things and then I was going detecting and noticed that my Lesche 'knife' the 2"x7" kind was missing from the back with a few tools.  Also my beach jacket ... so now I have an opportunity to buy replacements.  I'll use some of my beach coins to buy the stuff.  

Is that still the best tool for a park?  I like the root sawing edge but the hole digging part with just the hands is a pain.  I still have a larger version but that would be too big for a nice park.

The 'pilfering' could have been worse.  It could have been major.  They didn't have a way to walk down the alley with a couple of metal detectors and I had taken my cell phone and wallet inside but I sometimes forget it when I get back late at night.  We all need to think about replacements for things 'forgotten' so please learn from my recent experience. 

Mitchel

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

So much for the first 'view' of things and then I was going detecting and noticed that my Lesche 'knife' the 2"x7" kind was missing from the back with a few tools.  Also my beach jacket ... so now I have an opportunity to buy replacements.  I'll use some of my beach coins to buy the stuff.  

Is that still the best tool for a park?  I like the root sawing edge but the hole digging part with just the hands is a pain.

Forum member kac has invented and is selling a new idea digger (rotated handle) which some really like.

If I were getting another Lesche I'd get one from George (and family) himself.  I don't know the story of how his name is associated with a product he apparently is not involved with.  The Predator version (Lesche family company) has a much better sheeth.  I've ruined the WW sheeth just from continued use.  The Predator version has rivets in the most vulnerable place to prevent what happened to mine.

• Like 3

Those are two good ideas.  I have always had a problem digging at parks because it hurts my wrists.  Both of these seem to take that into account.  A turned handle vs a soft grip.  

I have that 31C that I got with a used detector I bought.

Diggers are a preference, some are happy with the bayonet style blad and straight handles and many don't even use hand diggers or rarely use them enough that they work fine. Few years back I made one for myself with the rotated handle downward. Also liked a mini spaid point so they actually can scoop dirt. One I do sell is primarily for turf and designed to make a quick plug or flap. I ended up using chrome moly steel for the final product for it's strength to weight ratio. Weighs in under 11 1/2 oz and is corrosion resistant.

6 minutes ago, kac said:

Diggers are a preference, some are happy with the bayonet style blad and straight handles and many don't even use hand diggers or rarely use them enough that they work fine. Few years back I made one for myself with the rotated handle downward. Also liked a mini spaid point so they actually can scoop dirt. One I do sell is primarily for turf and designed to make a quick plug or flap. I ended up using chrome moly steel for the final product for it's strength to weight ratio. Weighs in under 11 1/2 oz and is corrosion resistant.

My hand can't take the straight handle pressure anymore. But the arm and wrist stay straight now and I just use my weight to cut down into the soil. Just for shallow stuff. This scoops dirt as well. The blade stays sharp but needs some WD-40 once and awhile due to the high carbon content. I like the other diggers but I went for comfort.

• Like 1

My wrist can't take the straight handles either especially when coin shooting as you can easily dig 50-100 holes in an outing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Johnnysalami1957 said:

The blade stays sharp but needs some WD-40 once and awhile due to the high carbon content.

Never heard nor thought of that.  Think I'll give it a try.  Thanks for the tip!