Is Lesche The Best

On 7/25/2020 at 8:06 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I’ll never find out if anything is better than my Lesche because it is apparently going to outlive me!

4BFE1B0D-A1BA-4D76-9048-4B0C29445FAA.jpeg

I can see why.  Looks like you never use it!  What do you do, keep it on a throne?  :laugh:

I like the flange transition between blade and hand grip.  I have seen at least one person here complain that this gets in the way, but I use both hands -- one on the grip and one on the flange -- and it helps me a lot.  I've thought about buying one of Ken's (kac) as  I like to support innovative people, particularly ones I know ('know' through detectorprospector.com in this case).  But since I have two of the pictured ones already plus a Predator Raptor, I probably need something else worse.  (Give 'em away?  I've actually already given two as a Christmas gifts.)

3 hours ago, Johnny Crunch said:

Love the scoop shape on that Predator Raptor ever since watching "Dirt Fishing" on youtube.

GB: What is your opinion/experience with this tool?

It's great for the right conditions, but I don't experience those often (enough).  It's like a knife through butter for lush, well watered lawns and fields such as well maintained sports fields.  You can cut a square, deep plug which is easy to remove and replace, leaving almost no sign of the turf having been disturbed -- under those ideal conditions.

Most of my sites have other things in the ground -- rocks and roots in particular.  It doesn't handle either of those at all.  (Regardless of recovery tools in use, I don't disturb roots larger than ~1/8 in = 3 mm as I don't want to damage trees in parks and schools.)  Also, if the ground isn't sufficiently moist the plug will crumble, defeating the value of this tool for leaving no signs of disturbance.  (That's a difficult situation for a Lesche digger, too, admittedly.  But if we've had any rain in the previous 2 weeks or so I can typically seal holes without too much damage.  When it gets extremely dry I just have to either dig spots with little or no grass or just wait for better conditions.)

My town doesn't treat their schoolgrounds and parks like some places.  (I"ve hunted with my sister in the Denver area and one park and one school I recall would have been perfect for the Raptor.)  As a result it stays in my vehicle most of the time.

• Like 1

Thanks GB, for the feedback! I can use a Lesche knock-off to cut a quick sod flap if the weather cooperates. Ironically, if it's been a bit droughty, I can leave a MUCH cleaner plug in a park using a Root Slayer spade. But people notice the spade right away, and I wish I could do as nice a job with a more discreet trowel— hence, my curiosity re: Raptor...

Is lesche the best? well I'm not sure if any one digger is the best depending on ground conditions and physical capabilities. I have used homemade, lesche, and a bunch of imports. Can't say I didn't have to modify all of them.  My wrists are not the best due to 39 years of construction work. I have had to use straight handled designs only due to thats whats available, and they seem to be  the only design made. A couple of month's ago I PM'ed Kac about something he found and we discussed diggers and he described one he made . I will tell you that his digger is much better on the wrist. (at least for me). This digger is my only choice for detecting on my area's. I like it so much he's going to design a light weight, tall hybrid shovel for me. These things are small, light weight and tough. Reach out and talk to him, Made in the USA, Forum member and a great product. I can't promise this will be great for you but at least talk to him for input.

On 7/25/2020 at 4:31 PM, GB_Amateur said:

Forum member kac has invented and is selling a new idea digger (rotated handle) which some really like.

I just ordered one of these from kac and his eBay site.

On 7/26/2020 at 8:29 PM, kac said:

My wrist can't take the straight handles either especially when coin shooting as you can easily dig 50-100 holes in an outing.

I just ordered from your eBay site.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Lesche and Predator and I consider them of equal quality.

On 7/28/2020 at 10:48 PM, mn90403 said:

I just ordered one of these from kac and his eBay site.

Just saw the post, thank you.

Did you have a change to put it through it's paces? Any questions or issues feel freee to hollar.

Lesche was a family business. George had a falling out with the family members he was in business with and started Predator Tools. The new Lesche company doesn't have the same quality that the George Lesche tools of old had. That's why you see Amazon reviews of the newer Lesche Sampson shovels bending/breaking. Some people don't know there was a split and still recommend the Lesche name because they are still using George's tools from years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1