Hoping I got on the list for an AQ Limited as I inquired with Rick.  If not I can wait for the final production.  Perhaps some of you PI guys can chime in.  Obviously the Impulse depths on gold rings is fantastic and like many here can envision the potential.  I do not know how the FCC regulates detectors, but was wondering about the early Whites TDI Pro.  I'm told by someone very knowledgeable the TDI Pro hits gold rings 20 inches easy.  Whatever the depth it's impressive.  I do not know why Whites stopped TDI Pro production- perhaps design Rights?  Then Whites produced the SL and later the TDI BeachHunter, neither of which have the power of the TDI Pro.  My friend says not even close.  I currently have a TDI BH.  So why did the raw power of the TDI Pro go away?  Did FCC regulation require watering down?  Or again to do with design Rights?  I'm asking because does the AQ Limited being so powerful meet FCC regulations?  Might actual production units be a bit less powerful?  I suppose not, but perhaps I should cross my fingers I make the Limited list?  There was a time I wanted a TDI Pro for deep gold rings and couldn't get one and ended up with the less powerful/still fun TDI BH.       

• Like 1

Good Luck and I am sure the list still has openings, thing is ..if the virus does not slow it down even more..

You know i tested the TDI Beach hunter with the 14.8 battery pack against the AQ and the TDI did very well..Average depth difference was about 4 inch's. Which is very good I think and the price was right. .

All I can say......... the AQ I have is stunning..,I got a faint today I questioned ..I took 5 scoops without even stopping..then checked..sure enough a target in AM...next scoop Gold ring.. I Love it...think I got that one on video also..post later.

• Like 8

I've had the TDI Pro and compared it to the GPX on nickels. The GPX (normal timing) with the 11" coil is 2" deeper than the TDI with the 12" coil. The GPX with a 14" coil is a good 4" deeper than the TDI. That test was at the Great Salt Lake, mega salt environment. The deepest nickel was 18".

On a black sand beach that could change. I know one area of the Great Salt Lake where the mineralization is high or something close to mountain and rock outcropping.  Depth on the GPX (salt timing) with a 14" coil and a nickel drops to 14". TDI at that area was really noisy and I couldn't quiet it down unless I raised the pulse delay to about 20. TDI was hitting it at about 11" I think the reason they changed the TDI was issues with the battery and flight regulations.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 6:13 PM, Cabo Chris said:

FCC regulation require watering down?  Or again to do with design Rights?  I'm asking because does the AQ Limited being so powerful meet FCC regulations?  Might actual production units be a bit less powerful?

The TDI getting watered down had nothing to do with the FCC, design rights, or anything else mysterious. White’s wanted to make a less expensive version that used 8AA batteries instead of a Li-Ion pack. It’s that simple. You are assuming they cared that it ended up being less powerful. The lost depth is almost directly related to the reduction in battery power, and can be largely regained by boosting the battery power. There are many threads on the subject on the White’s forum here.

As far as the TDI Pro hitting rings at 20 inches “easy”, sure, if they are massive enough. I was pretty deeply involved in the original TDI project and know more about it than most people. Let’s just say your friend is exaggerating a little.

The Impulse is what the TDI could have been if White’s had moved forwards instead of backwards. The Limited is a production model, so yes, it meets legal requirements. They could not sell them to us if they were not. They certainly won’t water down future versions.

• Like 7

Wow I didn't know it was that simple! Whites wanted a AA battery pack that was less expensive. Dumb move! But even on the SL I owned with the higher voltage batteries it still wouldn't equal the depth of my TDI Pro.

• Like 2

unlimited-power.jpg

• Like 1

I assume you meant the SL  “wouldn’t” match the Pro, even with more powerful batteries. Changes were made to fit the smaller circuit board and provide a smoother threshold, which also reduced performance a small amount, exclusive to the decrease in battery power. It all resulted in a lighter weight, less expensive, easier to ship TDI. But also less powerful than the first generation models. There were plans to improve in the unit from there, but they never came to fruition.

10 hours ago, Cabo Chris said:

I currently have a TDI BH

There is a lot you can do to improve the performance of the Tdi Beachhunter.
Just in these days I hope to complete the final battery pack with 18650 cells.
Much depends on how salty the waters are where you hunt anyway.
I had difficulty with the original coil, without raising the delay up to 20uS.
So not only a higher voltage can give you greater depth, but also noise, (consider it) ...
For this reason I am also downsizing the coil with an 8 "mono.
In the end I hope to be able to lower the delay by at least 5uS and to stay in the range of thinner targets.

Keep in mind that this machine is In my opinion, something between an old tdi for nuggets prospecting and the attempt to adapt it for beach and water environment...Leaving however the lower delay available if a day you decide to go for nuggets...

Believe me, forget to use it in the water with minumum delay, unless you don't cut down the gain (very wrong move).

On the beach you might find a completely different conduct, but I think no one want to dig so much in trashy places...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I assume you meant “wouldn’t”.

Yes Steve that's what I meant. Thanks for the correction.