Scotland Illegal Panners Following Up On 4oz Nugget Find

This nugget has caused problems in the area.  Locals have been threatened to stay away while gangs search for more.

GANGS are sifting through streams on private property in a bid to unearth gold after a nugget worth £80,000 was found.

The crooks have sneaked onto the land and “destroying riverbanks” following the discovery of the 121g (4oz) lump.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/5853247/scots-gangs-panning-gold-kill-threats/

• Like 2

What criminals won't do to peoples property, this is a time for private security to clean up the problem.

Can someone explain why a 4 ounce nugget that is worth approx a little over $6,000 British pounds is getting called an $80,000 pound nugget?  Even for the British tabloids this seems like a overkill.   🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

They make a claim of historical significance, and then you can just pick a price to assign to that. “Biggest nugget ever found in my back yard, worth a million dollars.” That sort of thing.

Sadly gold attracts bad behavior. It’s been true for as long as gold and humanity have existed together, and I look at rising gold prices with mixed feelings. It means an inevitable increase in bad behavior that unfortunately works against the honest players.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Sadly gold attracts bad behavior.

I'm sorry to give you all this bad news but you will be deprived of my wisdom for two weeks. Does any one here know who has the cheapest air fare to Scotland?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 7/26/2020 at 11:13 AM, klunker said:

I'm sorry to give you all this bad news but you will be deprived of my wisdom for two weeks. Does any one here know who has the cheapest air fare to Scotland?

deprived of your wisdom (or bad behavior), I don't know if we will survive.

Have we started counting yet?  😛

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

deprived of your wisdom (or bad behavior), I don't know if we will survive.

If he's on his way to Scotland to find gold, I don't think he has any wisdom to provide....

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 8:25 PM, Northeast said:

Can someone explain why a 4 ounce nugget that is worth approx a little over $6,000 British pounds is getting called an $80,000 pound nugget?  Even for the British tabloids this seems like a overkill.   🤷‍♂️

The reason it’s worth so much is because gold nuggets are very rare there and to find one of that size is extremely rare,hence why the asking price/valuation is over inflated

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

How is this for a price!  $267 per gram!

One of the largest gold nuggets to be found in Scotland has fetched £3,812 at auction in Edinburgh.

Weighing 18.4g, it was found in a river in the Borders by a gold hunter using a technique known as sniping, which involves lying face down in the water wearing a dry suit and snorkel.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/snorkelling-gold-hunter-lies-low-to-claim-a-juicy-nugget-w6dz2bjll