Comparing The Evolution 17x13 To The GPZ 7000

jasong

Doing a bit of testing on the new Evolution coil. Some may recall I was skeptical of the newer generations of coils and I said I would post a testing video when I got one of them to test.

Results were not entirely surprising for those who don't like watching videos, but overall I am satisfied with the Evo. See below video for summary.

GPZ is definitely king of the dinks, but superior overall on all targets too. If I had some crystalline or highly disseminated specimens to test it wouldn't even be a contest. These tests pretty much replicate my experience in the field - on medium sized stuff I am generally getting 1-3 inches deeper with the GPZ which may be like 10% improvements, but on smaller stuff I am seeing more like 40% depth improvements.

Evo is definitely more sensitive and deeper than the 17x11 on every piece of gold I tested. Question is whether it's more sensitive then it's direct size equivalent which would be a 15" round mono. I think it would be, I'm guessing it's probably closer to a 16" round or maybe even a little better when it comes to the small stuff which is (like the GPZ) where I think the biggest gains are at since a 16" round mono would probably not pick up the last nugget I tested at all, or if so only right on the edge where the winding is at. What I'd like to test is whether or not it has greatly increased sensitivity to the crystalline/disseminated stuff but I sold all of it that I found this spring.

After the last few generations of newer coils, this one seems like the first to make a noticeable change to me, but don't expect miracles. In other words, it's easily noticeable to me, but slight...but in a game of inches that can be everything.

I have now made the Evo my default coil on my 4500 and put the 17x11 on the shelf for the first time in 5 years. For long exploratory trips where I spend all day weedwacking nonstop I'll still use the 17x11 because its much lighter.

• Like 8

I got it through Arizona Outback, I was on his waiting list but there may be stock available now, not sure. You'd have to verify with Chris about price but I believe it's listing for like $495.

• 1 month later...

Yes read this post and it got the grey matter working, perhaps those aftermarketers moving away from lightweight coils was not just  gloss, cannot comment on the NF`s Evolution but Coilteks Elite is no glossy coil. My sons recent purchase of one conx to the old dejected 5000 came up with the weight, so much in fact that cannot conclusively say it does not equal the GPZ on solid scraps(your dinks) in depth and size. That will take a lot more missions to either confirm or reject, nothing beats in field testing, actual nuggets in their million years old hiding spots.

I've used all the new coils, some a lot and others not so much. 

I've got some video footage comparing the 12" evo, 14" elite, 15" evo, 14" Detech and 15" DD Detech. 

Just got to find a spare hr to put it together. 

Used the 12" evo yesterday on the 5000. Ran it in a spot where I can no longer find gold with even the 2300. I haven't even managed to jag a single piece there with the 7000. I found 11 bits of ferrous, which was surprising in itself, although no colour. 

I'm curious to see how the 12" does. Seems like a good one for the US because some places here are all about crumbing, but you still want to have a good bit of depth at hand for when the bottom drops out and a bigger one is hiding below.

If I had any complaint about these newer coils its that they aren't being made in a 14x9 or 14x11 (unless I missed one??) which is the perfect rocky wash coil IMO.