Comparing The Evolution 17x13 To The GPZ 7000

jasong

I've used all the new coils, some a lot and others not so much. 

I've got some video footage comparing the 12" evo, 14" elite, 15" evo, 14" Detech and 15" DD Detech. 

Just got to find a spare hr to put it together. 

G'day,

I also look forward to you finding a spare hour to post a link to your video footage comparing the new coils you mentioned.

Thanks in advance.

• 10 months later...

Jason any updates on your thoughts on the Evo 17x13 since you have had more time out in the field since the last time you posted. For me its either the 15" Evo or the 17x13 Evo....having extra depth on those pieces ranging form 1-6 grams. I tried out the 12" Evo, found it very good on tid bits...just not to sure it will punch deeper.

AuWanderer, I used the 17x13 Evolution on my 5000 all summer long before I purchased the 7000 and was very happy with its performance.

I went the elliptical over the round because the areas I hunt have a lot of brush/rocks and the elliptical makes it easier for maneuvering and for pinpointing.  But I hear and have read, round coils do punch deeper than elliptical coils of similar size.

One thing I will say is, I did wear the coil tape off way to fast.  Might be the curved design on the sides, but the tape did not last more than a dozen trips before the coil cover fell off!

Brian.

• Like 1

Sorry no, haven't had any time in the field with a detector because I had to move back to Wyoming where the gold is pretty slim. I'll give it a try here next summer but there are only a few months out of the year it's doable so I'm not expecting much. If I do manage to find detectable size gold then I may be giving one of the smaller Evo's a try since I'm so limited on open ground to explore. But for raw prospecting that 17x13 is exactly what I plan on using still.

At the time I left the desert SW the 17x13 was the only Evo released yet so it's the only one I've used. But, if I do any serious full time detecting again it'll have to be with a machine that is a magnitude better than the GPZ or 4500/Evo, or figure out how to travel to a place like Africa, which is actually something I'd love to do if I could find someone there already with experience and a high degree of trustworthiness.

Just in general regarding coil usages, my gold detecting philosophy kind of changed over the last few years though. It paid way (WAY) better to spend more time exploring very fast and covering a ton of ground than it did to try to pick up everything. Which is why I said a couple times in previous posts that what we need tech-wise in the US going forward is less microscope and more telescope. Too much population base too close to the goldfields, it's getting lean out there. So I don't see myself really putting any major amount of time on a coil smaller than the 17x13 (especially if I got a spoked version) even if I was still in the desert, except in specific cases where the gold is rich enough to call for it (rare).

Coils roughly scale by surface area as I mentioned in this video, so the 15" and the 17x13 are pretty similar, the EM field pattern is what changes so the round has a slight advantage on deeper stuff, but covers less ground and less manueverable. 

• Like 2

We posted at the same time it looks like - yeah I agree that coil cover comes off way too easy. Coil covers in general on gold machines seem to be woefully lacking!

• Like 1

Thanks for the response fellas, yup the Elliptical would make more sense in my area....the worst thing about going over ground is not knowing if you missed those deeper nuggets do to a small coil. By the looks of it, the 17x13 Evo has the ability to get the small fly specks and reach down deeper for the bigger ones. Nothing worse than not trusting your coil .  

On 11/16/2016 at 9:16 AM, jasong said:

Sorry no, haven't had any time in the field with a detector because I had to move back to Wyoming where the gold is pretty slim. I'll give it a try here next summer but there are only a few months out of the year it's doable so I'm not expecting much. If I do manage to find detectable size gold then I may be giving one of the smaller Evo's a try since I'm so limited on open ground to explore. But for raw prospecting that 17x13 is exactly what I plan on using still.

At the time I left the desert SW the 17x13 was the only Evo released yet so it's the only one I've used. But, if I do any serious full time detecting again it'll have to be with a machine that is a magnitude better than the GPZ or 4500/Evo, or figure out how to travel to a place like Africa, which is actually something I'd love to do if I could find someone there already with experience and a high degree of trustworthiness.

Just in general regarding coil usages, my gold detecting philosophy kind of changed over the last few years though. It paid way (WAY) better to spend more time exploring very fast and covering a ton of ground than it did to try to pick up everything. Which is why I said a couple times in previous posts that what we need tech-wise in the US going forward is less microscope and more telescope. Too much population base too close to the goldfields, it's getting lean out there. So I don't see myself really putting any major amount of time on a coil smaller than the 17x13 (especially if I got a spoked version) even if I was still in the desert, except in specific cases where the gold is rich enough to call for it (rare).

Coils roughly scale by surface area as I mentioned in this video, so the 15" and the 17x13 are pretty similar, the EM field pattern is what changes so the round has a slight advantage on deeper stuff, but covers less ground and less manueverable. 

Jason,

Your philosophy of hunting fast is exactly how I like to hunt.... I started doing the exact same thing, when I ran into someone out in the desert a while ago who showed me his finds, by detecting as fast as he can with a larger coil. He found twice the amount of gold in 1 weekend, than I found in 1 month. If your into finding more gold, this is the way to do it.

Another recent discovery is to hunt areas that have no indication of gold being found, only to discover a nice patch. ( A good place for this is eroded out ancient areas)  9 out of 10 times its the ol skunkaroo... But that 1 time will pay off more than the last year or two in known gold areas. Just like Vegas, the odds are slowly starting to turn by using some of these methods.

Dave

• Like 5

Yeah man, agreed. I do think the old patches/fields are good for a quick lesson on local conditions where you know gold was found, but it ultimately pays better to explore. 

That was one reason I sold my GPZ (well, couldn't afford to keep it without full time usage being the main one) - I found it easier to prospect with the GPX since I can swing a larger coil faster on it for longer without rest. Even with the 19" coil release I don't see it being a better prospecting machine for my style, it's just too slow due to weight. Great patch cleaner though.

Boy it tests the patience though...sometimes my results are way worse than 9 out of 10. I try to never fully clean out patches just so I have a place to go for a couple hours at the end of the day to score a nugget, purely just so I don't get depressed when exploring doesn't pan out.

I was leaning towards this path when we met up a few years ago, but talking to you was one of the things that really pushed me to explore more and further after I realized others were doing well with that and not all had been discovered. Hope your success continues!

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
Guest Jennifer

Thanks again for a great video and great review Jason, it helped me decide to pick up a 17"x13" from a member on here to use as my daily driver on my 5000.

Thanks again.

Jen