What Machines Are Getting The Gold, Platinum And Palladium Jewelry This Year?

26 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I’m a bit surprised at how quickly many beaches are also being depleted. It will only get worse if gold goes over $2000.

I was wondering about that double edge sword -- result of gold prices rising to new heights.  In my lifetime I recall two major gold price run-ups -- 1970's decade and the decade of 2000-10.  Did detector sales skyrocket simultaneously?  The 70's may be more difficult to deconvolve since improvements in technology (both the introduction of VLF band and discrimination) also opened up coin detecting in particular.

I have Charles Garrett's and Roy Lagel's Electronic Prospecting with the tantalizing subtitle "GOLD and SILVER... Instant Riches!"   First printing was February 1979.  I wonder if they even realized how much gold would soon be recovered with these affordable devices.  Made me jump as I bought a Garrett Ground Hog (15 kHz VLF) in summer 1979 with visions that unfortunately (admittedly through my choices alone) failed to materialize.

4 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Did detector sales skyrocket simultaneously? 

Both periods ignited electronic gold rushes world wide. The first might be called the Australian Rush, though the U.S. caught fire at the same time. And the last the African Rush, though Mongolia and other places also went wild.

• Like 1