Ground Balancing Or Not For Two Box Detectors

Of all the different types of metal detectors, the two box is the oldest(?) but also one of the least used.  Defintitely a detector for special situations, but with a couple possible exceptions, for the proper situation it's the best choice for the job.

I'm aware of two standalone models still available new -- Fisher Gemini-3 and White's TM808.  Garrett's Treasure Hound (see P. 43 of their latest catalog) and apparently a new kid on the block are attachments for specific standard (control unit + shaft + single coil housing) detectors.

In particular what has me wondering (and confused) is the fact that the Gemini-3, operating at 81.92 kHz doesn't appear to have a gound balancing adjustment but the TM808 (6.5 kHz) does.  I was under the (naive?) impression that low frequencies are less susceptible to ground mineralization but here it seems in practice, it's just the opposite.  Any thoughts/explanations?

Couldn't find the Treasure hound on their website?

Jim

All detectors are affected by the ground. The Gemini 3 “tunes” by aligning the coils, but is surely affected by ground minerals, with no actual ground balance control. You keep it a steady height over bad ground or get false signals. The TM808 is a far newer design and so incorporates a ground balance control. The Gemini is perhaps the oldest metal detector design sold, dating back to the founding of Fisher in its original incarnation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Couldn't find the Treasure hound on their website?

You're asking if couldn't I find it?  Best I was able to do was download Garrett's new catalog (I linked to the page where you can do that; then you have to click on the photo of the new Apex) and then search through it.  That's why I said page 43 of the catalog.  I did search with Google but only online 'retailers' showed up on the first page of results so I assumed there isn't a direct link to it on Garrett's site.

Ground balance is important - at least that's how I perceive it with whites Spectra V3 ,,, after changing the frequency it is also necessary to tune the ground balance...

Be careful to reset the SAT data ... although the detector can be exported to metal from a great distance ... which affects its detection range ...

The Twobox of the Spectra V3 can also work in Mix mode..what is a good feature...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

You're asking if couldn't I find it?  Best I was able to do was download Garrett's new catalog (I linked to the page where you can do that; then you have to click on the photo of the new Apex) and then search through it.  That's why I said page 43 of the catalog.  I did search with Google but only online 'retailers' showed up on the first page of results so I assumed there isn't a direct link to it on Garrett's site.

I just wanted a quick look at the specs....didn't want to sit here for 5 minutes, with my slow 'net connection, while the entire catalog downloads. Seems kinda stupid they don't have it on the website with the rest of their detectors.

Jim

No wonder i couldn't find it. I didn't realize it was an accessory for the GTI2500. Would have been nice to know that. I'm curious about the frequency the 2500 operates at. Couldn't find that spec in the catalog listing.

Jim

Gti 2500 works at 7.5 khz..so also Eagle Eye will work at 7.5 khz ...

30 minutes ago, Jim in Idaho said:

I'm curious about the frequency the 2500 operates at.

Steve's Database is a good place to start.  (7.2 kHz)

43 minutes ago, Jim in Idaho said:

I just wanted a quick look at the specs....

Serious Detecting always has a good description on products they sell (and they sell a very wide range).  It's sometimes better than even the manufacturer's sites, and a lot easier to find, in general.

• Like 2

That's a pretty interesting detector. if I didn't already have a TM808 with Cave Mode I'd probably buy one. Both operate at around 7khz. Whites at 6.59, and Garrett at 7.62. No display with the Whites, but a much cheaper price. Whites website says they're now out of stock on the TM808.

Jim

• Like 1