Some Sort Of Brass Handle?

Went digging a bit in the woods where I had found many 1800's coins and came across this brass loop of some sorts. Looks like a carry handle of some sorts or is it from a saddle? Also in the middle is what looks like part of a buckle, also brass and was in the same vacinity.

61739927688__320210B5-837B-400E-96B5-8C8DDF01CEE4.JPG

• Like 3

It is the same on both sides, door knockers have a post on bottom one side so people don't knock the finger tips. Almost seems like some handle of sorts.

Looks like a horse shoe. Do you have a matching set? It would be rarer with a matching set. Maybe worth 250 dollars? Just a guess on that.

11 hours ago, kac said:

in the middle is what looks like part of a buckle, also brass

That is a portion of a adjuster for a strap that is for either a rifle or powder box.

The larger item is from an old style payroll box, here is a fancy box with a similar handle.

The item that you have is probably from a stage coach style box used in transferring money.

payrollbox handle.jpg

• Like 3

Makes sense, not sure if it was a payroll box but the tips look like they would fit a cups like  the one you show but it is the same on both ends so double cup instead of cup on one side and loop on the other as you show?

Interesting on the buckle, found a few out there just like it. Might have one that is complete in my scrap pails.

12 hours ago, kac said:

it is the same on both ends so double cup i

I believe that the one you found is about 4 inches wide in the middle section, if so that is where they would place a wood or metal bar so 2 people can lift the box when fully loaded. When they mounted your type the hinge was put on with the handle because most of them were a different size. The type of box that handle is intended for is a heavy load box, they also used them for some types of ammo at the time.

That is why it has the double hand grip on it so they could use it different ways.

12 hours ago, kac said:

Interesting on the buckle, found a few out there just like it.

Some of those also had a brass covering on them that would say US or almost anything else. Should you have the complete piece with the overlay I know someone who would love to have it for his collection.