Another Nox Ground Balance Question

57buick

It's the virus and everything that goes along with it for sure.......

Jeff:biggrin:

• 10 months later...

Hello, I’m fairly new to the Nox 800. I’ve had pretty good success in the 6 months I’ve been hunting on my local beaches. I am a pretty OCD type person about things running efficient and working as designed. My question is also about GB on the Nox. I run in B2 mode wet and dry top to bottom. I pretty much do wet and rarely go in pact 3-6” inches of water due to our wind currents and swells. I have alway let the machine do the GB and gave for nice valuable targets, but my OCDness keep forcing me to want it to be better. Auto ground balanced my machine today and in my wet sand it crown balanced around three. A random machine on sensitivity of up to 22 without chatter. I also realize that most of my chatter was the hundreds of people around me from place to place, possibly with their cell phones so a pretty well dismissed it being machine related. After about an hour and a half, I turned off the machine and went back to default ground balance. I started getting more targets appearing, Which is because I was going to different spots on the low tide pools and not necessarily contributing the default ground balancing versus the auto ground balancing to my increase in targets. My question is, is it really necessary to ground balance on the beach or can I just settle for default ground balance of zero? I have searched high and low for information and also try to test the theory today and did not really see much difference. I would like some help and answers or suggestions please. Thanks

1 hour ago, midalake said:

To make a long story short. In salt water there is no comparing the two systems. Tracking GB mode is the way to hunt.  The Equinox can be very chatty on the beach out of this mode. 

I agree with the Tracking mode. It is the quietest GB setting for me in the wet sand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I also agree that running in tracking ground balance for really wet beach/shallow surf in Beach 2 has been the quietest for me. However, I only run in Beach 2 with tracking ground balance when I absolutely have to. Otherwise, I stay in Beach 1 with either manual ground balance, zero or tracking ground balance until it becomes unstable. I get better overall depth in Beach 1 from my experience.

• Like 2

I use both methods , whichever is working for a particular location !👍

Negative Low Tides  are here again ! -1.5 this morning , of course I would sleep through it ! Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh

Tomorrow , I'm THERE ! Not too deep though , storm off coast sending the beaches into RIP !🤪

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I detect wet beaches and always use Beach 2. I run an auto GB, which always comes in at 4.  I can run sensitivity at 23 with the machine giving good stability, though I do get a little chatter from some types of seaweed lying on the sand. I have not tried tracking GB and have found no reason to do so.

I have gone over the same targets with 0 GB and having performed the auto GB and have found very little difference ..maybe just a little clearer with the auto GB, so I stick with it.

10 hours ago, Steve Andrews said:

I detect wet beaches and always use Beach 2. I run an auto GB, which always comes in at 4.  I can run sensitivity at 23 with the machine giving good stability, though I do get a little chatter from some types of seaweed lying on the sand. I have not tried tracking GB and have found no reason to do so.

I have gone over the same targets with 0 GB and having performed the auto GB and have found very little difference ..maybe just a little clearer with the auto GB, so I stick with it.

What would be the outcome if you had tracking GB on and could run clean at sensitivity 24?