Catch And Release At The Beach Today...

It's nice to be able to return something lost. (Found a pair of earrings lost by a neighbor's mom.) Just goodwill for the image of detectorists in the public's perception, I can hope...

The heat and humidity just makes me sweet like sugar! <<no, it doesn't.>>

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kac said:

I think 2Valen's message was to help you in the scenario if someone approaches you and said I lost something and you blindly show the find you got in the area without them confirming or describing what they actually lost with some detail in the first place. He didn't say you did anything wrong, just a suggestion from what I gather.

Is it the heatwave making everyone so hostile these days?

Kac,

No there is no heatwave here.  All I was trying to do was post a "feel good" post about returning a lost article.  I got my first metal detector in 1969.  Let that soak in a minute!  Only 5 years of clad coins at that time.  I have been helping folks for a lot of years finding all kinds of lost things.  This was my third return this year.  I could probably write a small book on the subject.  Could I have responded to @Valen's post better?  Sure I could.  Could he have responded to my post better.  Sure he could.  The problem with forums or text is that lack of tone.  Now had he said "I don't know if you are aware but sometimes people will try to get you to give them what you just found".  Or something along those lines, I probably would have just laughed and went one.  But he didn't. He wrote "you should have asked "What did you lose"".  I guess maybe he didn't even read my post as I wrote, "He ask me if my metal detector could find a medallion that he had lost when his chain had broken."

It make no difference now.  He said.  I said.  Water under the bridge.  I will keep helping folks find their lost items and I may or may not post the story.  Hopefully everyone will realize that a feel good story really doesn't need commentary.  A thumbs up or thumbs down is good enough.  

• Like 1

Think it was all read out of context, just wanted to bring that up.

Thanks