Equinox Update Tested 4kh Vs Multi On Deep Silver

I haven't tried 4 kHz yet.

In my test garden, 15 kHz has always gotten the best depth on silver coins. I've always thought that super low frequencies were only useful for finding deep caches and/or large targets and not practical for detecting single isolated coins.

I liked how 4 kHz sounded on those silvers in the video and the way it gave high numbers and tones. I wonder if your EMI might have something to do with your results.

My test garden has no EMI or mineralization. I'll try to get out there later today and see how 4 kHz does in my soil.

• Like 1

I have always had better results with 7 kh than 19 kh with the Deus on deep silver... Lower freqs have always smacked silver in my garden better. My understanding has always been lower freqs better on silver....Notice the lower freq lost the gold coin and higher smacked it....Higher freq gold= lower silver...

• Like 2

Good video, Calabash!

A couple takes from your video: the single frequency mode of the Nox won’t utilize Iron Bias feature, so that’s probably why your friend was having problems digging more iron than normal when he used 4 KHz mode.

Also an important Question for you: Why are you using Park 2 for your main operating mode for coin hunting?

While in Multi frequency operation, Park 2, as I have gathered from various resources, is internally higher frequency weighted toward finding fine jewelry, along with other lower conductive targets, while Park 1 is internally lower frequency weighted for high conductive targets (i.e. silver coinage).  This is internally programmed in the software by Minelab.

I never use Park 2 for deep silver or other higher conductors.....but if you want to find fine jewelry and other low conductors, Park 2 would be a better choice..

From Minelab’s writeup on Multi-IQ:

low frequencies (e.g. 5kHz) are more responsive to high conductors (e.g. large silver targets) and high frequencies (e.g. 40kHz) are more responsive to low conductors (e.g. small gold nuggets)...

I consider US silver dimes  and silver quarters as high conductive targets...and why as a deep coin hunter, I hunt in Park 1 100% of the time.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, calabash digger said:

I have always had better results with 7 kh than 19 kh with the Deus on deep silver... Lower freqs have always smacked silver in my garden better. My understanding has always been lower freqs better on silver....Notice the lower freq lost the gold coin and higher smacked it....Higher freq gold= lower silver...

I would like to see a  x-terra with the 15" 3kz. coil in  your test garden.If you check out findmall in the  x-terra section you  will see a lot of information on 3kz. for silver coins.

Very interesting info, Phrunt!  Thanks for posting!

some of my deeper targets in Multi actually ID higher than they do when those same targets are shallower....that’s actually a good thing for me...I won’t be passing up any targets that ID 30 or higher.......but, I concur with you that single frequency ID’s aren’t as accurate as Multi ID’s in general.

just the other day, I found my first ever 60% silver Japanese 100 Yen coin...that ID’d as a solid 22 on my Nox..

I’ve also found a few of your 3-pences here in So California...very rare though here!

D88C0E71-97DF-4B22-9CEA-22EDFFCCA412.jpeg

• Like 4

I tested 4 kHz in my test garden yesterday and was pleasantly surprised how well it performed on deep silver. All this time I thought the lower frequencies were not useful for coin hunting. I normally hunt in 15 kHz and never really looked closely at 5 and now 4 kHz.

4 kHz hit my 12" dime and 15" quarter. The higher frequencies won't even pick these coins up. It didn't register a number but it gave a tone that I would dig. I got a slightly better sound in 4 kHz than 5 kHz.

I was using Field 1, Sense 24, Recovery 4. 

Field mode is better than Park in my soil, or at least in my test garden.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Tnsharpshooter
      My battery in my Nox  is fine.  I pursued ordering a battery.  Just for a spare and to seek out the process so I could share with folks.
      First I called number 1-877-767-6522 (Minelab customer service) and talked to lady named Julie.  Julie referred to the following number in PA - 814-283-4270 (Minelab repair center).  I called this number and spoke with gent named Dan Diehl.  He stated I was actually the first to buy Nox battery. He while I had him on phone had just realized the batteries were at their facility for sale.  Price is $30 USD.  He said total price including shipping was $39 for a nonsignature required usps delivery.  I used a credit card.  And that’s it.  So the number above for Dan is the number to call to buy battery for Equinox.
      As a side note I inquired about their repair backlog.  He said they were in good shape.  With only about a week of backlog repairs on hand.  I asked this due to possible lasting effects of Covid 19, plus I wanted to be able to share with folks accurate info.  In case some were not sending in their units for repairs fearing long wait times.
      Cheers
      David

• By phrunt
      The 24k was relatively short lived by comparison of other US made detectors that seem to hang about on the market for 10 to 25 years, being a US detector it was a bit difficult for me to ever get my hands on one and I guess I was just too slow at making the move on one.  So I'm considering an alternative.  I like my Gold Monster but it is a bit simplified and I prefer more options so I just use it as a pinpointer, at the moment my primary prospecting VLF is the Equinox, I rarely use anything else.  I have a Gold Bug 2 but find it a bit primitive especially with features and I'd prefer a detector with Target ID's and the tiny gold improvement over the Nox I find is very minimal, the Nox has a great range of features and does a pretty good job but I'm wondering If I'd get a bit more out of a dedicated prospecting VLF with a higher frequency.  Am I losing much not using a 24k and sticking with my Equinox?
      The Nokta Gold Kruzer seems a viable choice, it's extremely cheap and sitting in stock at my local dealer, it has Nel coil support which I absolutely think is a major bonus, the Nel snake coil is made for it, and to me this seems the ultimate prospecting coil. I have it for my Fisher Gold Bug Pro but that detector just doesn't cut it for depth on small gold for me as I live in a place with a majority of the gold being very small.   I need a the best VLF for hot rocks possible.
      Why is it that Nokta detectors just aren't as popular, they seem to make a great range.  The Gold Kruzer and Gold Racer are what people have wanted in VLF prospecting detectors, aftermarket coil support, features dripping off them, quality builds and water proof and so on yet you don't see them as detectors people are using.  Why is this?  Steve H had a Gold Kruzer, Gold Monster etc, etc.... yet ended up settling on the 24k instead.  Is the 24k that much better than the Nokta?  What made the 24k the keeper and the Nokta the one to go.
      Would I be better off waiting to see what Garrett come out with, with any luck Nel will make coils for Garrett's version of a 24k.
      I've never owned a Notka, I am a bit puzzled why they make such feature packed and on paper great looking detectors yet people aren't using them. 
    • By Luis
      Acabo de ver estos auriculares en aliexpres. No estoy seguro de lo que valen, pero lo comparto por si le interesa un compañero. La verdad es que se ven bien
      Translation from Google Translate: 
      I just saw these headphones in aliexpress. I'm not sure what they're worth, but I'll share it in case you're interested in a partner. The truth is that they look good

Plufy deportes auricular Bluetooth csr4.1 banda para el cuello auriculares apt-x estéreo Auriculares con micrófono piel Orejeras
      (Plufy Sports Bluetooth Headset CSR4.1 Neckband Headset apt-x Stereo Headset with Microphone Skin Earmuffs)
    • By Dan(NM)
      I spoke with Martha at Minelab this morning. The reason I called is, my machine is out of warranty and has been replaced three times since I bought it. I wanted to know how much it was going to cost to replace the pod and if the replacement was going to have a warranty. She told me it would cost $350 for a new replacement, or $225 for a refurbished unit. What she meant by refurbished, if someone returned a whole detector because of a faulty coil, shaft etc, they would send out that control pod if there are any available. I am still waiting to hear back from her on the amount of warranty that will come with the replacement pod. She wanted to double check on the amount of time before she gave me an answer. I have her permission to share this information on the internet forums.   

• By Glenn in CO
      Interesting Video on a FBI seizure of safe deposit boxes and there view of people holding precious metals, cash, collectibles, etc.
      Feds Now Want to Keep Safe Deposit Box Contents
    • By Erik Oostra
      Some folk believe that their prayers are rewarded, others claim that if you ask the Universe for anything it’ll respond.. But when you need a new battery for your Foxy Noxy, these methods don't work anywhere near as good as keeping an eye out on Ebay..
      Since that awful day last month when the battery on my Nox 800 stopped charging I’ve considered many options, including an external power-pack (expensive), soldering the plug-in cable to other lithium batteries (deadly), and to keep on swapping with the battery from my Nox 600 (pain in ass)..
      This afternoon I searched on Ebay and scored two new Equinox batteries for just $50 (plus $10 postage).. That’s a new battery for Foxy Noxy and a spare for the unlikely event I ever need another one! Gotta love them win/win days..