An Interesting Advance For Google Maps

The problem with cross platform phone development, at least when I was looking into it in the early stages, is that Apple is completely proprietary. To even start experimenting with programming for iPhone at the time I would have had to buy a Mac and an iPhone and learned their weird properietary language. Then Apple polices their app store far more rigidly then Google so I had no way of knowing if I could even distribute my app once I made it. Maybe things have changed now, but that used to be a reason some apps were only available on 1 platform.

With Android anyone can use any computer and program for any Android phone using Java which is a globally used and standard language, it's what they taught all the CS classes in when I was in school too so most people already know it. I can go around the Google store if I want and distribute my app even if they choose not to. There are benefits and drawbacks to both - you get more wheat and less chaff with the Apple method, but you get far more ingenuity with the Android method via crowdsourcing.

So it's easy to port from phone to phone, but it's not so easy to cross the Apple divide so to speak, it used to be a complete reprogramming. And a lot of smaller developers don't have the time or money to do that. Whereas with Android, ensuring that your app works on a Samsung phone is no harder than ensuring it works on a Motorola phone (generally), it's all compatible already.

I still use Backcountry Navigator myself. I haven't found another single app solution that provides everything I need as a prospector in a better package for less money. Actually for most guys the free version will do just fine. Though I highly recommend the surface ownership add on layers. I had intended on creating a WMS server for claims mapping data and seeing if BCN would add it as a mapping layer, but living in the field in a camper with marginal phone internet wasn't cutting it for as much data and updating as it required. Still, someone could pursue that route possibly if they had the resources and motivation and it'd be an awesome prospecting layer to have.

WOW look at the brain on jasong!!!

Some crazy stuff you got going on.

Looks like you know a bit about electronics. What field do you work in if you don't mind me asking.

I use a samsung galaxy6 in the California hills, and it seems to get as good or better satellite reception than my garmin handheld.

Back country navigator for topo maps and Onx hunt for parcel property ownership info, works good for me. And of course google maps.

• Like 2

Yes Chris, onX Hunt is fabulous but to let people know it is a per state subscription service. Well worth it for me and I subscribe for both California and Nevada. The good news is you can try out a fully functional trial version. It is really invaluable in California where there are private property parcels all over the place.

It has the ability to preload and use maps offline but it was not working worth a darn for me until a recent update. Seems happy now.

ESRI GIS has apps for both android and iOS. You can use public maps for free which is good, not much good out of reception though.

Ozi Explorer android app is good, I have cached massive areas of google earth to all zoom levels and saved them to a memory card to use with it. Not very good with .shp files though.

My favorite app for iOS is GISroam. It handles all file types well, easy to overlay large image/maps and works well offline. It was free when i got it, but you have to pay now if your a new user.

Is it an older samsung? My old galaxy 2 was horrible. But the version 6 edge im using now has an excellent gps.

Onx hunt also gives me grief when trying to cach maps on the mobile for offline use.  Usually after the download, it reports that not all the data was able to load and it acts goofy when I'm trying to use those maps in offline mode.