Went back to an old poured concrete foundation in the woods which is a popular Elk hunters campsite. This is a site where I found my first seated dime a few years ago. The area is loaded with modern trash and lot's of iron nails and old tin buried near the foundation walls. I brought my Teknetics G2 with both the 5" and 11"x7" coil as I also intended to try some nugget detecting near the creek. I didn't find any nuggets but managed to pull 2 nice V nickels, 1890 and 1883. I set the detector in disc mode after ground balancing at 83. The ground here is very mineralized. I then set the tone break at 40 to separate ferrous from nonferrous and started swinging . I dug everything that hit in the ferrous range and all one-way signals that sounded good one direction but like iron the other. I also managed a few relics and a small pile of trash. 

20200728_113233.jpg

20200728_113037.jpg

20200728_113048.jpg

20200728_113417.jpg

20200728_122524.jpg

IMG_20200728_200922_01.jpg

IMG_20200728_200922_02.jpg

20200730_151239.jpg

20200730_151619.jpg

• Like 6

Nice finds and excellent photos!  Good to see the Tek T2 is still a capable detector as the world moves increasingly to simultaneous multi-frequency.

Your 1883 Liberty (V-) nickel is the more common (15 million minted vs. 5 million) "with Cents" variety.  Your photos show that nicely.  Here is the earlier, less common version reverse:

1883_no-Cents.jpeg.9ee0c3881ac95643b51df55148791682.jpeg

The story goes that scammers were coating them with gold and subsequently passing them off as 5 dollar gold pieces so the mint scrambled to thwart that.

Interestingly, the "with Cents" variety carries more value in high grades.  This likely reflects the fact that (still true today) when a new design is released people snarf them up thinking "oh, this is a collector's item and will be valuable!"  Then later (e.g. 2nd year of issue) the novelty has subsided and the coins get into circulation, leading to wear on most specimens.  A fairly recent example of that are the 1976 quarters, half dollars, and Eisenhower dollars.  Everybody and her brother stashed those and they are worth, oh, exactly 25 cents, 50 cents, and 1 dollar respectively 44 years later.

The intricate brass(?) item with the 1870 patent date is interesting.  And have you figured out what the "Honey Dew" token(?) is for?  Discount at the local brothel??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good to see someone using something other than a Nox 🙂

Do any of those one way good signals ever turn out to be anything good? They never have for me on my GBP.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Nice finds and excellent photos!  Good to see the Tek T2 is still a capable detector as the world moves increasingly to simultaneous multi-frequency.

1883_no-Cents.jpeg.9ee0c3881ac95643b51df55148791682.jpeg

The intricate brass(?) item with the 1870 patent date is interesting.  And have you figured out what the "Honey Dew" token(?) is for?  Discount at the local brothel??             I

I think the item with the pat. date is some sort of clothing buckle and I am not sure about the honey dew, maybe a soda drink ? but I like your thought's on it better. Also I was using the 19 khz G2 . I left my T2 at home as I figured the G2 was the better gold machine.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, phrunt said:

Good to see someone using something other than a Nox 🙂

Do any of those one way good signals ever turn out to be anything good? They never have for my on my GBP.

they were all long iron pieces of wire and nails

Well done. I found quite a few coins hidden in iron same way. If you have a machine with all metal mode just watch your numbers. Iron with a spike above iron except those exceptionally off the chart spikes are worthy of digging. Big spikes usually turn out to be flat iron.

In disc mode I will hit all coin sized targets that sound like iron in different directions to make sure they are just iron.

If there are big objects like sheet metal it might be worth while to pull them and go over the grounds again. Betting there are more targets there.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, devilsrenegade said:

I am not sure about the honey dew,

Honey Dew was a wine type drink made from elderberries back in the late 1800's.

Great hunting and good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Dances With Doves
      With all the damage the many good explorer hunters did in my area to the silver turf population it shows me that the Nox is at or near the top of the class for silver  coins.This is all from hard  hit  spots with about 15 from the water.My   friend who just switched from the   explorer  to the nox(this year) is at 48 and he has won the    title for most silver in a year many times.He has the best  2 silver coins   with a barber half and a seated quarter .I did manage 3 walker halves and a 1894-o barber dime.I agree with  people when they say if they could only use 1 machine that  they would pick the  nox. I am at a 102 so maybe  I can focus on some turf gold since I only have 1  for the year and the only reason  I dug it was because it was a  nickle hit  next to a wheat penny   I just dug.  
    • By kac
      Local water supply is super low from the drought we have here and was able to finally walk out to an island that is normally not that accessable. Not a whole lot on the island or at least what was in range of my Gold Racer's coil due to the erosion over the years but at least I got much of the curiosity out of the way. Out of it found a couple musket balls, shield nickel 18??, IH penny 18?4, old button with bit of guilding on the edges still on it, some odd double loop thing that looked like some junk jewelry. Lots of sinkers, various rounds and of course a Pencil Erasor!

• By xawi29
      In September I was participating in 5th season of archeological dig for remains of huge silver treasure discovered in 2015. Treasure consist mostly of parted coins from Samanid Empire 8 to 9 century, Slavic jewelry and coins from  Germany , Hungary  and Denmark. In this season of digging ( 4 meetings) we discovered totally 150 fragments of treasure. Field were it was discovered is an iron carpet, were many detector fail to separate good targets  from iron junk. I attend 2 digs and I was lucky  to discover 35 silver items. 

• By phrunt
      My daughter had a friends party to go to this weekend, it's currently a long weekend not that it changes my life but it means a lot of people are off on adventures and doing small breaks, I figured seeing I was going to be right near the beach to pick my daughter up from the party I'd take my detector for a quick hunt.  I only had a couple of hours and I didn't think I'd find much, although I think it's a nice beach it's not overly busy and as we are just in spring the hot beach weather isn't quite here yet, although today was 25 degrees celsius which is 77f in the old money so it was pretty warm.  A few surfers were out but not much in the way of beach goers hanging around on the beach which was good.
      I had my pooch with me as he seemed to be itching for some time away from the house but my wife mostly looked after him, he came and did a bit of detecting but he was just getting in the way.

I parked near a giant concrete whale for a look around then moved on, the area didn't look like a good detecting spot, too many people around for my liking as there was a playground nearby.

A bit further along seemed alright, parked down near the beach but had to go exploring the hill to see what was about.... my dog dragged me up.

the beach is covered in pebbles and shells, it's also typical of a New Zealand beach with a lot of black sand, the Nox was a constant -9 on the entire beach.  I was hoping this big bit of drift wood might have something under it from people sitting on it, but there was nothing..... I also wasn't finding any junk anywhere.  I was wondering if my Nox was just struggling with the black sand.  The ground balance was fine on it though, it wasn't an issue unless I went to all metal then it was always -9.

Next Stop! Antarctica!
      I found I had to ground balance a bit as the concentrations of black sand were pretty obvious.
      I did a bit more explorirng and found an area that looks like the tides go into it moving the sand around.

and had my first good target in the bottom channel of it.

Not even sure what coin it is 🙂
      My next coin was in a similar area further along, I wasn't overly gridding or doing anything fancy, just walking along exploring.

This area looked like the water had washed it out, like sluicing from gold miners 🙂 I have no idea how to read beaches, I was probably more thinking prospecting than beach detecting.  You'll notice all my dig holes in the above photo, all coins.

Often quite deep too ,and all old, no modern currency all coins from some time ago.

an old Shilling, not sure if it's silver but very likely as most years of shillings were.  It's ID was right for a silver shilling.

Next coin.

A Florin, also an old coin, 1950.  I might be the first person to detect this area, or the first person with a detector good enough to see through all the black sand to get these deeper coins, someone had obviously gone through and cleaned up any modern shallow finds as I wasn't finding modern coins.
      I was finding Target ID's were terrible until I had them out of the dig holes, the black sand really messed with ID's so I was just digging all targets, often hunting in pinpoint mode as it worked better than normal modes, especially now I knew there was old deep coins.

This one was quite deep too, I found it in pinpoint mode, I had no idea what I'd found at the time, a coin I'd never seen before.

It's from French Polynesia.

A nice bit of Paua Shell (Abalone)

Nothing down near the water, most the coins I found were in that sluiced out looking channel that I guess the tides washed out.
      Time to go pick my daughter up....   The time went way too fast as I was having fun.

All except the bright silver coin are old currency, no longer in circulation.  The only junk I found the entire time were the two sinkers.

And the French Polynesia coin.

It's 100 French Franc's from 1984 with a mintage of about 500,000 and some info about it here https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1356.html
      French Polynesia is a French overseas collectivity in the South Pacific between Australia and Chile. Its main island is Tahiti and its population is 270,000.
      Might of been a good place to use the Fisher Impulse AQ.... no junk, plenty of finds, lots of black sand...... Only problem is I don't have one, yet.....  I might try the QED there next time.  This time I wasn't even armed with a sand scoop or anything, just my prospecting plastic scoop, I was very under prepared for a beach detect, at least I had the F-pulse with me as it handles the beach well, much better than my Carrot AT.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Fisher Research originally released the 19 kHz Gold Bug model about 1987. It was a real breakthrough design at the time with a compact control box, S-rod, and elliptical coils. The detector is a good unit but is strictly all metal (no discrimination). It has no LCD readout and looks much like the current 71 kHz Gold Bug 2 but has a white lower rod and a black control panel face. Some people are confusing this old model with the new so be aware of this when looking at used detectors. The 19 kHz coils for the old Gold Bug will not work on newer versions of the Gold Bug below. The 71 kHz Gold Bug 2 is a totally different detector than the various 19 kHz models described below.
      Around 2010 a number of new Gold Bug models were released by Fisher. First came the Gold Bug in 2009. Then came the Gold Bug SE (Special Edition) which added manual ground balance at a bargain introductory price. The SE with minor tweaks later became the Gold Bug Pro at a higher price. So now we have two basic versions, the Gold Bug and the Gold Bug Pro. They differ from the old 1987 model by having an LCD readout. The standard version of either detector comes with a 5" round coil. There is a Gold Bug DP (Deep Penetrating) which is nothing more than a Gold Bug Pro with an 11" x 7" DD elliptical coil instead of a 5" round DD coil.
      The only difference listed by Fisher between the Gold Bug and the Gold Bug Pro is that the Gold Bug Pro has a manual adjustment option for the ground balance and also offers "higher sensitivity".
      Both models use a "Ground Grab" button as a simple ground balance method that is quite effective. The Gold Bug Pro allows you to also manually adjust the ground balance setting up or down. The manual adjustment can be used in conjunction with or separately from the Ground Grab button.
      The big question is the "higher sensitivity" claim. There are two possibilities here. First, that the Gold Bug Pro actually allows for higher gain or sensitivity levels. However, I was in marketing too long and have a more jaded thought. Manual ground balance allows for a higher degree of control that if used properly can get you more sensitivity. There is a very distinct possibility the higher sensitivity claim follows directly from the ability to manually ground balance the Gold Bug Pro. This could be tested with both units set side by side with identical ground balance settings and max gain. If the Gold Bug Pro is inherently more sensitive an air test should show it. I have not had the chance to do this my self but if somebody wants to there you go.
      ads by Amazon...
      My opinion? I believe the Gold Bug and the Gold Bug Pro if outfitted with the same coil are basically the same detector. The only real difference is the manual ground balance option on the Gold Bug Pro. Do you need it? Not really, and especially when you consider that for $499 vs $649 that is probably all you are getting. The Ground Grab function is remarkably effective and would suit most people just fine.
      I personally do like manual ground balance and so for me spending the extra money to get it is a non-issue. I do as a rule tell people that if cost is not an issue get the Gold Bug Pro. It is far more popular and would be easier to resell. But in all honesty I think the Basic Gold Bug is the real bang-for-the-buck unit. There is nothing else close to it at the $499 price point that offers full LCD readout target discrimination while in full power all metal prospect mode.
      I should note that First Texas owns both Fisher and Teknetics. The Fisher Gold Bug DP (Gold Bug Pro with 11" coil) is marketed by Teknetics as the G2. The Fisher Gold Bug DP goes for $699 and the Teknetics G2 is $749. The $50 extra gets you a pistol grip rod instead of the Gold Bug S-rod and an arm strap. Nice gray paint scheme also. Really boils down to pistol grip vs S-rod, purely a personal preference thing.
      I use the 5" x 10" elliptical myself and consider it to be the best all around coil for the Gold Bug. However, right now you have to get it as an accessory or as part of a two coil package. Fisher would be doing us a service to release the Gold Bug with this coil as standard on the unit.
      My Gold Bug 2 is slightly better on the tiniest of gold but the Gold Bug Pro easily outperforms the Gold Bug 2 on larger nuggets at depth. For all around nugget detecting the Gold Bug or Gold Bug Pro (and G2) have a better balance of both small gold and large gold capability than the Gold Bug 2.
      Fisher Gold Bug Pro & Teknetics G2 Detailed Comparison
      To recap first came the original 1987 era Gold Bug with knobs and switches:

1987 era analog Fisher Gold Bug
      Then in 2009 we got the new Gold Bug:

Fisher digital Gold Bug
      Followed quickly and briefly by the Gold Bug SE. Note how the plus and minus buttons now have dual functions, both Disc and Ground Balance, compared to the basic Gold Bug above:

Fisher Gold Bug SE
      The Gold Bug SE was basically the prototype for the Gold Bug Pro, which got a new faceplate decal and a higher price:

Fisher Gold Bug Pro
      And finally, the Gold Bug Pro was also marketed under the Teknetics line as the G2 with a different rod/handle assembly:

Teknetics G2
      Gold Bug Pro DP compared to Teknetics G2:

Click on images below for larger versions.....

• By dogodog
      I'm having a bout of lack of confidence in my MK. My second 11'' coil today started to act just like my old one. (CRAP)... Short story - Went over an area and hit a high 90's number and broken signal.  My buddy with the 800 went over it and dug two silver quarters a 1929 and a 1942. So here's my question to all, Do I get a Nox 800???? I mostly coin and relic hunt, with a beach maybe twice a year. So I want the good the bad and the ugly. honest and true answers on performance, warranty and coil choices. I'm not a big fan of the tones, but I might be able to forgive that for a more stable running machine. Not looking for overly complicated either. I keep hearing that there is a BIG learning curve? Can you run in factory settings and still be happy? or do you have to be a mathematician to learn it? I do not want to carry 50 index cards with setting numbers!!!  SO all that own and run one please let me know your thoughts good or bad. Just looking for help before pissing away another $1200+ God help me, I'm running out of excuses for my wife, so you members better give me some good answers.