Back To The Location Where I Found A Seated Dime A Few Years Back

Went back to an old poured concrete foundation in the woods which is a popular Elk hunters campsite. This is a site where I found my first seated dime a few years ago. The area is loaded with modern trash and lot's of iron nails and old tin buried near the foundation walls. I brought my Teknetics G2 with both the 5" and 11"x7" coil as I also intended to try some nugget detecting near the creek. I didn't find any nuggets but managed to pull 2 nice V nickels, 1890 and 1883. I set the detector in disc mode after ground balancing at 83. The ground here is very mineralized. I then set the tone break at 40 to separate ferrous from nonferrous and started swinging . I dug everything that hit in the ferrous range and all one-way signals that sounded good one direction but like iron the other. I also managed a few relics and a small pile of trash. 

20200728_113233.jpg

20200728_113037.jpg

20200728_113048.jpg

20200728_113417.jpg

20200728_122524.jpg

IMG_20200728_200922_01.jpg

IMG_20200728_200922_02.jpg

20200730_151239.jpg

20200730_151619.jpg

• Like 5

Nice finds and excellent photos!  Good to see the Tek T2 is still a capable detector as the world moves increasingly to simultaneous multi-frequency.

Your 1883 Liberty (V-) nickel is the more common (15 million minted vs. 5 million) "with Cents" variety.  Your photos show that nicely.  Here is the earlier, less common version reverse:

1883_no-Cents.jpeg.9ee0c3881ac95643b51df55148791682.jpeg

The story goes that scammers were coating them with gold and subsequently passing them off as 5 dollar gold pieces so the mint scrambled to thwart that.

Interestingly, the "with Cents" variety carries more value in high grades.  This likely reflects the fact that (still true today) when a new design is released people snarf them up thinking "oh, this is a collector's item and will be valuable!"  Then later (e.g. 2nd year of issue) the novelty has subsided and the coins get into circulation, leading to wear on most specimens.  A fairly recent example of that are the 1976 quarters, half dollars, and Eisenhower dollars.  Everybody and her brother stashed those and they are worth, oh, exactly 25 cents, 50 cents, and 1 dollar respectively 44 years later.

The intricate brass(?) item with the 1870 patent date is interesting.  And have you figured out what the "Honey Dew" token(?) is for?  Discount at the local brothel??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Nice finds and excellent photos!  Good to see the Tek T2 is still a capable detector as the world moves increasingly to simultaneous multi-frequency.

1883_no-Cents.jpeg.9ee0c3881ac95643b51df55148791682.jpeg

The intricate brass(?) item with the 1870 patent date is interesting.  And have you figured out what the "Honey Dew" token(?) is for?  Discount at the local brothel??             I

I think the item with the pat. date is some sort of clothing buckle and I am not sure about the honey dew, maybe a soda drink ? but I like your thought's on it better. Also I was using the 19 khz G2 . I left my T2 at home as I figured the G2 was the better gold machine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phrunt said:

Good to see someone using something other than a Nox 🙂

Do any of those one way good signals ever turn out to be anything good? They never have for my on my GBP.

they were all long iron pieces of wire and nails

Well done. I found quite a few coins hidden in iron same way. If you have a machine with all metal mode just watch your numbers. Iron with a spike above iron except those exceptionally off the chart spikes are worthy of digging. Big spikes usually turn out to be flat iron.

In disc mode I will hit all coin sized targets that sound like iron in different directions to make sure they are just iron.

If there are big objects like sheet metal it might be worth while to pull them and go over the grounds again. Betting there are more targets there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, devilsrenegade said:

I am not sure about the honey dew,

Honey Dew was a wine type drink made from elderberries back in the late 1800's.

Great hunting and good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1